6-month emergency food supplies - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 6-month emergency food supplies

[quote=HK4U;6427]Emergency Essentials is another good choice.[/Q]

DH and I have ordered many times from Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage Their MAXIMUM shipping rate is $12.00 (via UPS) and that's amazing. Their prices are very competitive, also. Out of curiousity, we ate a few of the MREs, that we purchased, to see if they were any good. We found them to be very tasty. My husband has a finicky palate, so when HE says that the MREs are good, you can bet the farm that they are BETTER THAN THAT!!!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

[quote=Conservative Wife & Mom;138629]
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Emergency Essentials is another good choice.[/Q]

DH and I have ordered many times from Emergency Essentials - Be Prepared Emergency Preparedness Food Storage Their MAXIMUM shipping rate is $12.00 (via UPS) and that's amazing. Their prices are very competitive, also. Out of curiousity, we ate a few of the MREs, that we purchased, to see if they were any good. We found them to be very tasty. My husband has a finicky palate, so when HE says that the MREs are good, you can bet the farm that they are BETTER THAN THAT!!!
    as far as water is concerned you can make solar stills quite easy and the water produced is distilled, ie pure.

food grade hydrogen peroxide should be on everyone's list so many uses including purifying water

wolfhunter Guest
    A great filtration system...
    Home - Sawyer Point One Filters

For water storage, I purchased at a year end clearance sale from Wally World one of those inflatable pools. There are many sizes to choose from and you can set them up rather quickly. Before the water in the house stops working fill it up with the garden hose.
    A cheap tarp supported with 2x4's near the pool can catch an huge amount of rain water. The pool kits even come with a filter so if you have a backup generator or a solar powered aerator you can keep the water oxygenated. Would have plenty of water for bathing or flushing the toilets. Just be sure to filter or treat the water before drinking or cooking.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Packaged "survival rations" are good...from any of a number of companies, but a basic staple of our food storage is 5 gallon food grade buckets with rice and dried beans. They were about our first food prep and, besides adding basic calories and bulk, have a surprising amount of needed nutrients. A variety of spices and the ability to add fresh fish and game gives one a good amount of variety.

Speaking of fish and game...ammo and fishing gear should also be big storage items...

Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    food grade hydrogen peroxide should be on everyone's list so many uses including purifying water
    Amazing what it cures and prevents.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Regardless of what you saw in the video, it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a reserve food supply, some extra supplies like toilet paper, tooth paste, soap and other toiletry items. In addition, you should also have a good long gun, be it shotgun or rifle and some extra ammo.
    Right now, I believe time is getting short. I have MRE's and freeze dried food, but the best way to go right now is with canned food and non-perishable stuff. (crackers, sugar, pasta, rice, etc). Buy the stuff you will eat, whether it's chili, stew, raviolli, spam, veggies, whatever. And as you build it up, start rotating it out and using it. The shelf life will far exceed the "Best By" or Sell By" dates on the cans. Foods higher in acid, like tomato paste will have a shorter life. Don't buy dented cans, where the inner coating can be damaged. Don't buy sale items that are priced to go out the door with shorter dates. Many canned goods are even good for a couple of years past the dates. As long as the can is not bulging, the top popped up or the food smells bad or funny, it will generally be safe to eat. Dried Beans and rice can be left in the original package and placed in zip lock bags for extra protection.
    Now, GO GET STARTED!!!! This is important. And don't forget. WATER, WATER, WATER!!!!!
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Sound Advice, have been doing this for some 5 years or more.

11. As my DW is fond of saying, "Remember it wasn't raining when Noah started to build the Ark". Home canned goods alone, breads, cakes, meats, veggies, and de-hydrated fruits we have at least 6 months on that alone, not to mention bulk rice, beans, bullets and Band-Aids
    I don't necessarily mean everything I say, I just do it to see the [email protected]@K on your face - HueMan 1998

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast