Vehicles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicles

Vehicles

It's surprising to me how many people would be seriously up the creek if they were forced to drive a stickshift, paddle a canoe or ride a bicycle in an emergency. It would really be a good thing if more people had at least a rudimentary knowledge of how to operate a wide variety of vehicles if TSHTF.

At a minimum, this should include commonly encountered things:

- Bicycles
    - Motorcycles
    - Small boats, both human and motor-powered
    - Manual transmission motor vehicles
    - Semis/buses/RVs/other large vehicles

It also might not hurt for flight schools to formulate an "air survival course" and make it available to the general public - teach people how to react if a pilot suddenly drops dead or is incapacitated. That may make the difference between a fatal crash and a crash landing.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

That is a good point. If there was an emergency and there was only a stickshift around my mom would die! I keep telling her she should learn. As for me, I have no problem driving any vehicle, I am also taking classes to get my rotary engine license and I am currently building a 1 man Helicopter in my garage.
    If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.
    Ted Nugent

And while we are at it get in shape. If it comes down to riding a bike, or walking, or running many would be up a creek.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

boyzoi Guest
    dont forget riding a horse.......

Quote Originally Posted by boyzoi View Post
    dont forget riding a horse.......
    I was thinking about that...but in terms of probability, it's not something you'd likely run across, versus a 4-wheeler or truck. Of course, it's still a useful skill that should be learned. I've done it twice for short periods of time and think that I could probably at least make do if I needed to ride one.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

This is what has been on my left tootsies lately. Don't know how far I could run, or hobble, or shift a clutch. So I just keep on "carrying on."

What about farm tractors?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

I can drive a bus, ambulance, stick, paddle a canoe, operate watercraft with motors, ride a motorcycle, ride a bike and carry a 135lbs pack for 26 miles. And I'm what the military conciders a old and worn out body, oh, and out of shape, but I can still whoop the youngins in all this and working knowledge. Another thing people need is more knowledge in first aid beyond bandaids and tournequets. That would become more than useful if TSHTF
    M1 Garand, Kimber Custom Carry II, Ruger P-95, Mossberg Persuader 12ga., Charles Daly 12ga(My gobbler gobbler)
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBoCook View Post
    Another thing people need is more knowledge in first aid beyond bandaids and tournequets. That would become more than useful if TSHTF
    Most first aid classes focus on "call 911, stop the bleeding, start the breathing, protect the wound, and turn the victim over to the EMS crew." If you can find it in your area, the Red Cross offers a 2 day course called Wilderness First Aid, which focuses on "stop the bleeding, start the breathing, protect the wound, call for help, and care for the vicim for 48-72 hours until the EMS crew can get to you." This class was designed for hikers, campers, and others who may find themselves outside the normal 911 grids.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer/Wolfhunter View Post
    ~~ This class was designed for hikers, campers, and others who may find themselves outside the normal 911 grids.~
    Thanks, That's go to know. And is something The B-i-L & I should do. Where we hunt, it is out there. Cell phones do not work, & if the weather decides to turn, A lake effect snow can get ugly in a hurry.
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast