Survival skill challenge question
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Survival skill challenge question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    3,098

    Cool Survival skill challenge question

    How do you stabilize a patient with a sucking chest wound for transport?
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

  2.   
  3. #2
    wolfhunter Guest
    Layer of cloth pad, sheet of plastic (zip baggie, store bag, trash bag, etc.), triangle bandage or similar to bind this all in place.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Layer of cloth pad, sheet of plastic (zip baggie, store bag, trash bag, etc.), triangle bandage or similar to bind this all in place.
    Don't forget the 'tupperware burp' when you notice a deviated trachea or other signs of imminent or current collapse of lung (lift plastic during exhale, seal during inhale to assist in re-inflating).
    N38 19' 56.52" W85 45' 8.56"
    Semper Gumby
    Ethics are what we do when no one else is looking.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    3,098

    Thumbs up +1 on the plastic

    1. check the victim for other more serious wounds.
    2. Dress the wound with gauze and plastic allowing the bottom to burp/fart on exhale(good job wolf hunter and starbased)
    3. elevate the upper half of the body
    4. treat for shock.
    5. move individual to nearest treatment facility ASAP.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    1. check the victim for other more serious wounds.
    2. Dress the wound with gauze and plastic allowing the bottom to burp/fart on exhale(good job wolf hunter and starbased)
    3. elevate the upper half of the body
    4. treat for shock.
    5. move individual to nearest treatment facility ASAP.
    don't forget to turn patient on the injured side, so you can drain off the potention Hemothorax
    M1 Garand, Kimber Custom Carry II, Ruger P-95, Mossberg Persuader 12ga., Charles Daly 12ga(My gobbler gobbler)
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html

  7. #6
    Thanks guys. Sounds like some good information. Think I will make a copy of it. I hope I never need it but you never know.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Thanks guys. Sounds like some good information. Think I will make a copy of it. I hope I never need it but you never know.
    Google "Gitmo Wounds" and those are good SHTF injuries to know how to treat
    M1 Garand, Kimber Custom Carry II, Ruger P-95, Mossberg Persuader 12ga., Charles Daly 12ga(My gobbler gobbler)
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html

  9. #8
    My EMT instructor also recommended a glove with a finger clipped taped around the wound as a self-burper. Never had the opportunity to test but should be sound.
    N38 19' 56.52" W85 45' 8.56"
    Semper Gumby
    Ethics are what we do when no one else is looking.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast