Carrying in a commercial vehicle question - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Carrying in a commercial vehicle question

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Parsons, TN
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by cidav8r View Post
    Commercial vehicles are subject to different rules than personal vehicles.

    YOU MAY NOT CARRY A LOADED FIREARM IN A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE. EXCEPTIONS ARE NOT MADE FOR CCW PERMIT HOLDERS.

    FMCSA Part 173.54: Forbidden explosives
    Unless otherwise provided in this sub-chapter, the following explosives shall not be offered for transportation or transported:
    (f): A loaded firearm (except as provided in 49 CFR 1544.219)

    49 CFR 1544.219 allows LEOs to carry in aircraft under certain circumstances.

    READ IT FOR YOURSELF HERE
    Interesting....

    Is this only in the cargo area, or the cab as well?

    If you go back to the main Part 173 Page http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?menukey=173 It appears these Regs have to do with Shippers and what they can and can't ship and how it has to be packaged. Not what a driver can have on his person or in the cab.

    I mean of course you can't ship a loaded firearm.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

    Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

  2.   
  3. #12

    You may carry a loaded firearm

    Quote Originally Posted by cidav8r View Post
    Commercial vehicles are subject to different rules than personal vehicles.

    YOU MAY NOT CARRY A LOADED FIREARM IN A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE. EXCEPTIONS ARE NOT MADE FOR CCW PERMIT HOLDERS.

    FMCSA Part 173.54: Forbidden explosives
    Unless otherwise provided in this sub-chapter, the following explosives shall not be offered for transportation or transported:
    (f): A loaded firearm (except as provided in 49 CFR 1544.219)

    49 CFR 1544.219 allows LEOs to carry in aircraft under certain circumstances.

    READ IT FOR YOURSELF HERE
    Ckeck out the link PHMSA - Interpretations by Date - Interpretation #06-0165

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Parsons, TN
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by quaken3 View Post
    Now that makes sense.

    Thanks quaken3
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

    Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

  5. Post "loaded firearm"

    You say we cant transport a loaded firearm in our trucks, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) but a loaded firearm is when there is a round in the chamber. So your saying as long as there is no "bullet in the barrel" then it is ok to carry a gun in our trucks with a full mag. I know I'm splitting hairs here but that is what any lawyer would do to us. We all have to be extremely accurate with the laws if we are to be carrying firearms at all.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Parsons, TN
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by SigControl2A View Post
    You say we cant transport a loaded firearm in our trucks, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) but a loaded firearm is when there is a round in the chamber. So your saying as long as there is no "bullet in the barrel" then it is ok to carry a gun in our trucks with a full mag. I know I'm splitting hairs here but that is what any lawyer would do to us. We all have to be extremely accurate with the laws if we are to be carrying firearms at all.
    I'm not sure who "you" is above, but it's not me and I think there are enough post showing it is legal.

    However...as far as loaded goes and being accurate according to the law. In TN a weapon is considered loaded if the ammo is in "close proximity" to the weapon or you. Doesn't even have to be in the firearm.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

    Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

  7. #16

    I stand corrected...

    Quote Originally Posted by quaken3 View Post
    OK. That's new to me but I stand corrected. I'm going to ask a DOT officer this week and see what they say to this. They'll probably tear my truck apart looking for my CCW weapon but it's not my truck so who cares. I think I'll wait until I get out of CA though. Maybe WY.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Parsons, TN
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by cidav8r View Post
    OK. That's new to me but I stand corrected. I'm going to ask a DOT officer this week and see what they say to this. They'll probably tear my truck apart looking for my CCW weapon but it's not my truck so who cares. I think I'll wait until I get out of CA though. Maybe WY.
    LOL...yeah definetly wait until you are out of CA...
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

    Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

  9. #18
    49 C.F.R. § 173.54(f) prohibits carrying a loaded firearm as cargo; it does not prohibit carrying a loaded firearm in the cab of a truck.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
    Founder and Past President, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

  10. #19
    Been a while since I posted on this but I spoke with the WY DOT at the POE outside of Evanston and they were surprisingly ignorant of the law with regard to CCW in the truck. They didn't really know. The woman I talked to said she had inquired with regard to this but didn't ever get a clear cut answer. I can't understand how this could be but I wasn't interested in pursuing that point. Considering the letter with the interpretation as noted above, I'm going to carry in the truck.

  11. Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.....10/4

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question about vehicle handgun storage on a college campus.
    By Boston Focus in forum Massachusetts Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 10:37 AM
  2. Question about carrying in vehicle across non-recip states
    By westfield in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 10:07 PM
  3. Question about CC in vehicle...
    By murf26 in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
  4. commercial vehicle
    By Tom in ct in forum Handgun Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM
  5. NV. question re: carrying in vehicle
    By gdcleanfun in forum Nevada Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 09:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast