Carrying in a commercial vehicle question - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in a commercial vehicle question

I dont think it was the legal arm of the law. A lot of product that is carried in the semi trailor has laws that dont allow you to carry a handgun as well as a lot of pick up and delivery spots wont allow you on there premises if you have a gun in your truck and also certain companies you are driving a load for dont allow handguns to be in your truck or on person. I drove for several years and for a lot of companies and these were there rules. So he might of been at the wrong place at the time or hauling a certain type of product and DOT gets involved.

In N.C. I asked a DMV officer (truck cop) what the law was and he said it is no different than a car. I have been stopped a couple times while carrying and no problems. Remember in N.C. the firearm has to be in plain sight--in S.C. it has to be in a dash pocket or console--preferably locked if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs418 View Post
    A lot of product that is carried in the semi trailor has laws that dont allow you to carry a handgun *snip* or hauling a certain type of product and DOT gets involved.
    100% WRONG Statements here, period.....Next time please try to have some FACTS before you post.....

5. Quote Originally Posted by cidav8r View Post
    Commercial vehicles are subject to different rules than personal vehicles.

YOU MAY NOT CARRY A LOADED FIREARM IN A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE. EXCEPTIONS ARE NOT MADE FOR CCW PERMIT HOLDERS.

FMCSA Part 173.54: Forbidden explosives
    Unless otherwise provided in this sub-chapter, the following explosives shall not be offered for transportation or transported:
    (f): A loaded firearm (except as provided in 49 CFR 1544.219)

49 CFR 1544.219 allows LEOs to carry in aircraft under certain circumstances.

READ IT FOR YOURSELF HERE
    True, true, but:
    According to:

Hattie L. Mitchell
    Chief, Regulatory Review and Reinvention
    Office of Hazardous Materials Standards

In a letter dated, August 24th, 2006 – it reads as follows:

"This responds to your letter regarding the applicability of the Hazardous Materials Regulation (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171- 180) to the transportation of a loaded personal firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator while in the performance of his or her duties.

Specifically, you ask whether the transportation of such a firearm is prohibited by the HMR under the “forbidden explosives” clause in § 173.54(f).

The answer to your question is no. Unless otherwise specified in § 173.54(f), a personal loaded or unloaded firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator is not considered in commerce and therefore not subject to the HMR.

Under this scenario, a commercial motor vehicle operator who carries a personal firearm while in the performance of his or her duties is subject to local or State jurisdiction regarding such matters.

This response has been coordinated with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration."

Son of promise your link no longer exists,suspect removed due to above mentioned letter.
    Subject to local or state jursidiction.

7. I drove trucks 30 years and it's a Federal guideline no guns in trucks, Every truck driver knows this is a very firm law, carry permit does not matter no guns!!!
    Now I'm not saying it's never done , matter of fact lots probably have one but if you get caught it's gonna be your butt. I'm talking interstate driving not intrastate if you cross state lines it's interstate regulations which means no guns

take above post with a big grain of salt they must never have driven I logged 3 million miles

8. Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I drove trucks 30 years and it's a Federal guideline no guns in trucks, Every truck driver knows this is a very firm law, carry permit does not matter no guns!!!
    Now I'm not saying it's never done , matter of fact lots probably have one but if you get caught it's gonna be your butt. I'm talking interstate driving not intrastate if you cross state lines it's interstate regulations which means no guns

take above post with a big grain of salt they must never have driven I logged 3 million miles
    Then you will be able to provide a source for the bovine feces that you posted? Show us where this "Federal guideline" exists for no guns in trucks, other than in your imagination. I challenge you to prove it. Just because you were told 30 years ago "no guns in trucks" and you believed it for 30 years does not mean it is true.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Then you will be able to provide a source for the bovine feces that you posted? Show us where this "Federal guideline" exists for no guns in trucks, other than in your imagination. I challenge you to prove it. Just because you were told 30 years ago "no guns in trucks" and you believed it for 30 years does not mean it is true.
    What the heck do you think you are posting "bovine feces " you don't have somthing good to say little boy keep your mouth shut
    I don't need to prove anything to a stupid punk posting this garbage on this forum, you can't help someone out or have somthing good to say
    keep your stupid little mouth shut! Boy
    The mod. here should throw your butt off this forum

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"
    Let's all try to get along guys.....It's a nice sunny day outside! :-)
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

11. Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    What the heck do you think you are posting "bovine feces " you don't have somthing good to say little boy keep your mouth shut
    I don't need to prove anything to a stupid punk posting this garbage on this forum, you can't help someone out or have somthing good to say
    keep your stupid little mouth shut! Boy
    The mod. here should throw your butt off this forum
    Translated, that means "I got nothing."

For those that are interested in the facts from the US Department of Transportation, rather than snowman with anger issue's opinion:

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site...gnextfmt=print

"a personal loaded or unloaded firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator is not considered in commerce and therefore not subject to the HMR. Under this scenario, a commercial motor vehicle operator who carries a personal firearm while in the performance of his or her duties is subject to local or State jurisdiction regarding such matters. This response has been coordinated with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration."
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast