Link to TN handgun laws
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Link to TN handgun laws

Link to TN handgun laws

I am sure everyone from TN is aware of this, but if someone is visiting they might need to know.

http://state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.htm

edited for

Places carrying is prohibited

Anywhere alcohol is sold by the drink.

No school ground or event. The exception is when dropping off or picking up as long as the handgun is not handled

Any room where judicial proceeding are in progress.

Public parks, playgrounds, civic centers, and other buildings, facilities, areas or other
    properties that are owned, used, or operated by municipalities, counties or state for
    recreational purposes.

Any private business with an appropriate sign posted. It must have wording according to
    state regulations. It must also be posted at every entrance to the building.

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY
    HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS
    BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY
    WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER
    STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT
    MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

A sign with a picture of a pistol and a line through it does not count

Permit is issued by the state and valid anywhere inside the state

Person must complete an 8 hour handgun course or have proof of similar course. Including class room work followed by a written exam, then range time. You are required to shoot from 3 yards, 7 yards, then 15 yards. You must have a 70% on the written exam and range exam to pass the course

Cost is $115 paid in CASH to drivers license center. Must present proof of class completion along with drivers license and birth certificate

It is valid for 4 years. Renewal fee is $50

Applications available at any drivers license center.

Must make an appointment for finger printing. Drivers license office provides you with a phone number and paper you must present to them

It is not a must inform law enforcement state. It is highly recommended though

It is an open carry permit. Open or concealed is allowed

Tn has a castle doctrine

TN handgun permit is recognized by 34 other states and will recognize any valid handgun permit from another state that contains a picture of the liscensee.

Must be a resident of the state

Anyone becoming a resident, that has a handgun permit of a reciprocal state has 6 months to obtain a TN permit. If their state has the same requirements of TN, they will be processed as a renewal.

STATES THAT DO NOT RECOGNIZE TENNESSEE PERMITS
    California
    Connecticut
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Nebraska
    New Jersey
    New York
    Oregon
    Rhode Island
    Washington
    Wisconsin
    Last edited by DrDavidM; 11-18-2007 at 09:28 AM.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Thanks for the link David.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I have edited my post to provide what i can recall is the relevent information. If anyone can think of anything else please post it. :)
    David

5. How's about another direct link to the code, from Lexis Nexus?

Also, I've been unable to find a link to the exact wording required by state regulations for a private business to post, prohibiting from carry. Does anyone know that wording or have a link to it?

Travis

6. Ah, I may have just found what I was looking for within my own link! :D

"THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500)."

I guess that answers that.

Travis

I guess I'll have to remove NV from our list of places that doesn't accept the TN permit :) :)
    David

8. WV is now off your list, we ar good there also.
    Where did you find attorney's office? Never heard that one before.

Thank you for your help gfd. TN department of safety had not updated their site to include WV. The WV state site had, and showed TN reciprocity. I gladly removed it from the list. The attorney's office came from the notes I took in my class. I did not recall it as being prohibited, but I thought I would list it to be on the safe side. I found it strange, but we're talking about the laws, so you never know. I will call the TN department of safety Tues and verify the information.

thank you again,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidM View Post
    I am sure everyone from TN is aware of this, but if someone is visiting they might need to know.

http://state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.htm

edited for

Places carrying is prohibited

Federal buildings, court rooms, attorney's office, post office

Airports

I can't find anything in T.C.A. that prohibits carry from the above places, excpet a courtroom and maybe a lawyers office IF a judical proceeding is taken place at the time you are there.

Yes, post offices are off-limits per CFR, but nothing is TN law about federal buildings, unless they have sign posted un 39-17-1359 (as tadams posted), or airpots.

If you have the statute number could you please post it.

This information was based on what I was taught in my handgun class. I have, however, found more than one piece of information inaccurate from the class. I am going to place a phone call to the department of safety Tues to verify that part of the restrictions.. Thank you for the post. I truly do not want to post any information that is inaccurate.
    David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast