Tennessee Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

Fallguy, Good perspective. We should keep an eye open for an opinion from the AG too.

3. Post A couple questions

4. It is unlawful to carry a weapon into a meeting where the owner has posted prominent signs at all entrances banning weapon possession.
    It would be good to note that the "signs" referenced above are the "PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359." Because, the way it's worded is a bit ambiguous and originally caused me some confusion, since point # 8 specifies this particular language (or language that is substantially similar), but point # 4 doesn't.

Also,

Public Chapter 339 – Handguns in Restaurants – This act authorizes any individual with a handgun carry permit to carry a firearm into a restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages as long as such individual is not consuming alcoholic beverages. However, a restaurant may choose to post a sign prohibiting firearms.

Effective Date: July 14, 2009
    All info from: Handgun Carry Permit T.C.A. Codes

Thanks. This has been updated.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

(n) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer.

(2) A Tennessee permit issued pursuant to this section to a person who is in or who enters into the United States armed forces shall continue in effect for so long as the person's service continues and the person is stationed outside this state, notwithstanding the fact that the person may be temporarily in this state on furlough, leave, or delay en route, and for a period not to exceed sixty (60) days following the date on which the person is honorably discharged or separated from service or returns to this state on reassignment to a duty station in this state, unless the permit is sooner suspended, cancelled or revoked for cause as provided by law. The permit is valid only when in the immediate possession of the permit holder and the permit holder has in the holder's immediate possession the holder's discharge or separation papers, if the permit holder has been discharged or separated from the service

Thought you might want to add this for the period that the permit is valid for. Its good info for military personel who keep their TN residents and have a permit. Also the Nov. 20, 2009 ruling on the the restaraunt carry making it illegal to carry at a place that seves alcohol once again.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

For TN, it looks like there are several bills in the house this year...ALso, was looking today to see if the CCW law states what to do if approached by a LEO. Any one remember from training?

Bill In KPT

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    For TN, it looks like there are several bills in the house this year...ALso, was looking today to see if the CCW law states what to do if approached by a LEO. Any one remember from training?

Bill In KPT

TN does not require you to notify an officer you are armed, although some think it is a good idea. The law does require you to present you carry permit to the officer if asked for it. The law also says the officer can disarm you for the duration of the encounter if the feels it is reasonably necessary for his protection, your protection or the protection of the public.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

What about reciprocity?
    Can a CC permit holder from a reciprocol state OC when in TN?

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    What about reciprocity?
    Can a CC permit holder from a reciprocol state OC when in TN?
    Yes.

TN honors all facially valid out of state permits as if issued by TN.

You can OC, with a permit, in TN.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Thanks Fallguy--
    I plan on being in TN a lot this summer trying to start a business. SC is CC only. But, there are times I do prefer OC. I sure hope SC adopts OC soon!

Military exempt in TN

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Click here to view.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Luke, here is some updated info for you regarding the State of TN:

Handgun Carry Permit Qualifications and Requirements

•Effective July 1, 2005, all handgun permit applicants seeking a new permit must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.

•Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements. Those current exceptions are applicants who prove to the department that within five (5) years from the date of application for handgun permit, the applicant has:

1.Been certified by the police officer's standards and training commission, or
    2.successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy; or
    3.successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guards; or
    4.successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

I myself took advantage of the option # 4 above, as I retired from the Army after 20 yrs, and I have
    qualified and maintained various small arm weapon proficiency, as I was an 11B Infantryman while in the
    military, and continue to teach small arms after the military.

I showed only my military ID, and a pistol qual record (dated within 5 yrs of exiting the Army) to get my HCP in TN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast