With a permit, can the managers/owner carry a concealed firearm? - Page 2

View Poll Results: With a permit, can the managers/owner carry a concealed firearm.

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With a permit, can the managers/owner carry a concealed firearm?

1. Quote Originally Posted by sig1014 View Post
    Personally, I don't think of it as double standard. Patrons of a bar or establishment that sells alcohol should not be allowed to carry. I mean you shouldn't carry if your going to be drinking (just my opinion!) Employees however, who should not be drinking on the job, should be allowed to carry in case of robbery.
    I'm not sure about Tn. but if your business is privately owned, it is considered private property and it is up to the owner whether or not employees are allowed to carry.
    If I owned a business, all of my employees would be trained and armed.......(AGAIN, just my opinion! )
    So because I want to have a drink when I get home I can't carry my firearm in public? I see no harm in having my weapon on me while I stop at the store to buy a 6 pack or whatever it may be to take home where I can then store my gun securely.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sig1014 View Post
    Personally, I don't think of it as double standard. Patrons of a bar or establishment that sells alcohol should not be allowed to carry. I mean you shouldn't carry if your going to be drinking (just my opinion!) Employees however, who should not be drinking on the job, should be allowed to carry in case of robbery.
    I'm not sure about Tn. but if your business is privately owned, it is considered private property and it is up to the owner whether or not employees are allowed to carry.
    If I owned a business, all of my employees would be trained and armed.......(AGAIN, just my opinion! )
    This is a restaurant not a bar. Not everyone goes in to drink. I do not believe that I should have to give up my right just because they sell alcohol, most states have a law when it comes to being intoxicated and carry (which most is .08 like driving)

If I am carrying and go out to a restaurant I never drink. However, if I am met at the door with a sign that prohibits me from entering then I politely leave to never return until the policy changes. It's their business and their right and it's my right not to trade my money for their food. Life's to short to be mad at everything I don't like. I like food at home better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter13d View Post
    I could simply take down the sign, it was placed there many years ago. its a relatively small town and we don't exactly enforce it. But the sign quotes a law saying that weapons of any kind, including pocket knives and fire arms, are illegal to carry into an establishment that serves alcohol. And the sign may be outdated
    Sounds like to me you are talking about the signs that "used" to be required under Title 57 of the T.C.A. stating it was a Misdemeanor to carry a weapon that serves or sells alcohol. If so, the law requiring those signs has been repealed for a while, but ABC inspectors have been bad about not telling places to remove them and in some early cases even saying they were still required. But for the record those signs never prevented carried, they only warned of the consequences of carry in a such a place when it was still illegal for everyone.

Now only a sign that conforms to T.C.A. 39-17-1359 legally forbids carry in a place that serves or sells alcohol.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

6. Okay, thank you for the replies, i will simply remove the sign. And do plan on get my conceal carry. Thanks again guys. a

Quote Originally Posted by ares338 View Post
    If I am carrying and go out to a restaurant I never drink. However, if I am met at the door with a sign that prohibits me from entering then I politely leave to never return until the policy changes. It's their business and their right and it's my right not to trade my money for their food. Life's to short to be mad at everything I don't like. I like food at home better anyway.
    EXACTLY!
    Plus its illegal to consume alcohol and carry. The law says nothing about a legal limit and carrying

Quote Originally Posted by remdds View Post
    EXACTLY!
    Plus its illegal to consume alcohol and carry. The law says nothing about a legal limit and carrying
    That is not correct.

It is illegal to be "under the influence" of alcohol and carry.

The only time it is illegal to "consume" and and carry is if you are within the confines of a building open to the public that serves alcohol for onsite consumption.

The fact that the laws mentions consumption and under the influence separately and and that there is an additional punishment if you under the influence as opposed to just consuming means they are two different things.

39-17-1321. Possession of handgun while under influence -- Penalty.

(a) Notwithstanding whether a person has a permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351, it is an offense for a person to possess a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance or controlled substance analogue.

(b) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm if the person is both:

(1) Within the confines of an establishment open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for consumption on the premises; and

(2) Consuming any alcoholic beverage listed in subdivision (b)(1).

(c) (1) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(2) In addition to the punishment authorized by subdivision (c)(1), if the violation is of subsection (a), occurs in an establishment described in subdivision (b)(1), and the person has a handgun permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1351, such permit shall be suspended in accordance with § 39-17-1352 for a period of three (3) years.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

9. I agree a business owner should have a choice to allow or disallow customers to carry in their establishment. It's their right to do so. Of course they may potentially lose customers.

You can carry at restaurants, bars, so on but can't consume any alcohol? Seems pretty simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12