Texas Law for carring in a vehicle ???

Thread: Texas Law for carring in a vehicle ???

1. Texas Law for carring in a vehicle ???

I was told I could carry a loaded pistol in my vehicle traveling or not without a CHL.
    Is there somewhere I can find the laws so I can print it ?

I asked a police officer first and he said that i actually can't keep it loaded but it depends on who pulls you over if you get in trouble. There is no point taking a unloaded pistol it will be as much use as a rock. Maybe I can throw it at them.

I asked a sheriff and he said I think you can have a loaded pistol in you vehicle if you are traveling. I asked him whats the definition of traveling and he told me 30 miles or more.

I asked the gun shop owner in town and he told me that he swears that the new law states you can have a loaded pistol in your vehicle traveling or not. That the police or anybody does not want to advertise this.
    Last edited by Twebster; 02-29-2008 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Another post answered my question

Here's a link to the latest law updates: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...LStatute07.pdf

I got the info through the Texas Department of Public Safety site: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis.../chlsindex.htm

It looks like under provisions of HB 1815 (a-1) as long as the gun is not in plain view, you should be o.k.

gf
    Last edited by Glock Fan; 02-29-2008 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typo correction
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I read it differently. It states that a person commits an offence if the gun is in plain view. The whole law is regarding concealed carry.
    The more I practice, the 'luckier' I get!

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    I read it differently. It states that a person commits an offence if the gun is in plain view. The whole law is regarding concealed carry.
    Thanks for catching the typo gordo. I corrected my original post.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

6. You are correct about carrying in the state of Texas in your vehicle loaded without a chl. The new castle law allows it. There are requirements that must be met although.......You must be driving a vehicle that is registered to you or your spouse, and you must be able to purchase a handgun legally with no prior disqualifying circumstances, ie: criminal activity or other "stuff".. There is still a fine line in carrying concealed though without a license....know your rights,,,,,,,,.........

As you obviously have found out some LEO"s have no idea what the new law says. As Glock Fan said check the TXDPS site that he listed. That should clear it up.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

8. One thing you need to be aware of is that Harris County (Houston) does not honor this law. The mayor went on record saying that if you are caught with a gun and you do not have a Texas CHL you WILL be arrested and go to jail. Basically he is thumbing his nose at the State of Texas.

tex45acp

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    One thing you need to be aware of is that Harris County (Houston) does not honor this law. The mayor went on record saying that if you are caught with a gun and you do not have a Texas CHL you WILL be arrested and go to jail. Basically he is thumbing his nose at the State of Texas.

tex45acp
    Time to retire him. Sounds like he thinks he is above the law. Perhaps he should go to jail.
    Last edited by HK4U; 08-21-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

There is also the Harris County Constable vs Tx CHL holder and a interpretation of 'plain view' "visibility" under the seat, end result, go to jail.