moving to Texas! Permit question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: moving to Texas! Permit question

1. just wanted to followup and answer my own question here in case someone else looks it up -

so basically it IS possible. What I would have to do is get a nonresident permit in TX first (which is more expensive because you have to pay to have it notarized and there's a couple of other things as well). This permit will be mailed to THE ADDRESS ON YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE ONLY...so this only works if the people living where your driver's license says you live are people you know and would mail you the permits. After you get your nonresident permits, you can apply for a TX driver's license. When you get it, you can then submit a change of address form for your permit (along with a $25 fee) and be issued a new permit with your new address. There is no distinction on the permit between resident and nonresident...the permit itself is the same, but having a TX address is what makes the permit a resident permit.

So...yes, it's possible, it costs more money and takes longer, but it CAN be done...in my case too much of a pain in the butt...I'll just keep it in the car while I wait for the permit. Most everyone I've become friends with here carries so it's not like there isn't a gun nearby if one were suddenly needed.

4. I, too, am planning to move to Texas soon. As soon as I sell my house and my Mother-in-law's house here in Arkansas, we'll be moving to Texarkana, TX. I don't have a CHL yet and am planning to wait til I move so I won't have to take two classes and fill out two application forms and pay two fees. One of my sons lives with us and does have a CHL. I fear he'll have to be unarmed for a bit, but I'm planning for both of us to get our licenses as soon as possible after we get there. Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread.
    Eagle Scout, Air Force Major (RET), B-52 Pilot, NRA Life Member

12 weeks ?, you sure? Mine took 6 way back when most of my friends took 4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12