No guns in church? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No guns in church?

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Belle View Post
    Texas doesn't allow you to carry in church. What if you are employed by the church? I work for a small church and I'm often there by myself. My office is next to the front glass doors. There are quite a few people wanting money and other stuff. I currently keep the doors locked but when someone knocks I have to open it. The pastor is extremely liberal and I haven't even told him I have my CHL. Am I just SOL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Give your pastor a Bible lesson and tell him to read Luke 22, specifically these verses:

36He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’b ; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

Jesus knew that the disciples would be in danger and needed to protect themselves. The common defensive weapon at the time, a sword.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Why does it need to be cleaned up? The law is already very specific. As the law is written now, if the church does not want to prohibit firearms, they are not required to. No sign or other notice given according to section 30.06 means that carry in the church is legal. As it is written now, carrying a firearm in a church is legal by default, unless the church decides they wish to actively prohibit firearms. Seems like that is a pretty good deal to me. The current requirement requires the state to prove that the church gave legal notice.
    I just think the way it is written that it is a very common misconception that you can't carry in a church, period. I know several people who took the CHL class here in Texas that didn't know it was legal as long as a 30.06 sign wasn't posted. The law says you can't...oh wait, you can unless it's posted. Why say you can't at all? Why not just say you can unless there is a 30.06 posted? Why specifically mention churches, etc? That is the only reason I think it could be cleaned up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Merkle View Post
    They did go back and clean it up That's what you're reading on page 39.
    lol, TRUE, but I think they could just remove the references to churches and the other specific places if they fall under the same 30.06 rules as everywhere else. I guess it confuses people that haven't sat down and read it all...which they all should, but we know they don't.

I carry in my church. I talked to one of the Pastors and he (being a former Marine) said he didn't mind and knew of several others that carried there also. Most people would not think of carrying in church, but that makes them easy pickings like the Sikk Church in Wisconsin. Not going to happen in our church, if I and the others can help it.

6. So my interpretation is that unless there is a 30.06 sign at the church, it is legal for me to carry. That makes me feel much better.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Belle View Post
    So my interpretation is that unless there is a 30.06 sign at the church, it is legal for me to carry. That makes me feel much better.

Not exactly. Unless you have received notification that conforms to 30.06 that firerarms are prohibited at the church, it is legal for you to carry. There are other forms of notification that meet the requirements of 30.06, including oral notification. They do have to actively notify you, though, that firearms are prohibited, otherwise it is legal for you to carry there.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

ezkl2230 Guest
    In MI it is illegal to OC in churches unless you have your CPL (MI is an OC state, except in gun free zones; the CPL allows you to OC in a legally designated gun free zone - yeah, I know, it's screwy), and you can't legally CC in church "... unless the presiding official or officials of the church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship permit the carrying of concealed pistol on that property or facility." The other caveat to this law is that even OC can be prohibited in a church if they post themselves as gun free zones, because churches are private property.

When I discuss this with people, I point them back to 1 Chronicles 9, which records King David and the prophet Samuel setting up the gatekeepers of the temple, who were armed, and I point to Luke 22:36, where Jesus commanded his disciples to arm themselves for their own protection.

Can someone explain why church carry is illegal? Makes no sense at all.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I've always CC'd in church. Not going to meet Jesus in church by the hands of a thug thinking a church is a easy mark. Or if I do at the hands of a thug. The fires of hell and gun powder will be blazing away by my .45. I will not die on my knees.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Can someone explain why church carry is illegal? Makes no sense at all.
    It goes back to the days when no one would dare attack a church. A church is supposed to be a place of peace and safety, and there is still the idea that carrying a firearm in church somehow desecrates it. These days, however, with so many people disillusioned, they are looming for ways to strike back at God for their lot in life. The courts have ruled that you cannot sue God, so these people strike at the most obvious representation of God - the Church. There were 145 church shootings last year, up from about 90 the previous year. I'm not sure what the number stands at so far this year. Regardless, the law is based on a society that no longer exists.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast