Officer told me yesterday no longer required to show CCW when stopped by LEO - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Officer told me yesterday no longer required to show CCW when stopped by LEO

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Odds are the registered owner is the driver.

    .
    Not true. I am registered on all my vehicles, but rarely drive the wife's car, and bet it is that way in most families.

  2.   
  3. #22
    More likely depends on the mood of the LEO
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    LEO are the worst source for legal information. Check your state laws.
    Boy is that not the honest truth
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

  5. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Toad View Post
    Not true. I am registered on all my vehicles, but rarely drive the wife's car, and bet it is that way in most families.
    In your household, this may well be true, but that has no bearing on everyone else. All our vehicles are in my name, but the wife also carries.

    Besides, any LEO pulling your wife over is not going assume that she is George, or Robert or Billy Bob, when he sees a female driver. They do it for a reason, and you can say it ain't so as much as you want, that is common practice, at least in states where DL information will include the fact that they also have a carry permit.

    Each of the deputies I know have been on the force probably 15 - 20 years each, and tell me this how it works, plus the dispatcher I have known for over 40 years says it is common practice for all dispatchers to run the registered owner based on the tag, and report anything that shows up, including that they have a carry permit.

    Why doesn't your wife carry? My wife does, as does my adult daughter.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  6. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Do you automatically show you ID, or do you only provide your ID if the officer requests it?
    If the cop asks you for ID like during a traffic stop, or if he comes up to you and asks, you are required to show both your ID and Concealed Handgun License if you are carrying. There is no penalty for failing to do so, but it could annoy the cop.

    Some people will show their CHL when not carrying, since if you have a Texas ID or DL and a Texas CHL, the CHL will show up when LEO runs your ID. I don't.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by scottdls View Post
    If the cop asks you for ID like during a traffic stop, or if he comes up to you and asks, you are required to show both your ID and Concealed Handgun License if you are carrying. There is no penalty for failing to do so, but it could annoy the cop.

    Some people will show their CHL when not carrying, since if you have a Texas ID or DL and a Texas CHL, the CHL will show up when LEO runs your ID. I don't.
    That is what the LEO was communicating no penalty no reason to show.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Odds are the registered owner is the driver.

    Traffic stops are the most dangerous interactions cops have with unknown people, and they are going in with all the knowledge they can learn prior to making contact with the driver. I don't blame them, they want to go home also.
    So the cop would be completely stupid to assume the driver is the registered owner of the vehicle then - when dispatch comes back and tells them the registered owner is a good guy.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  9. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So the cop would be completely stupid to assume the driver is the registered owner of the vehicle then - when dispatch comes back and tells them the registered owner is a good guy.
    I'm just telling how things are done, at least with the local sheriff's department, PD, and SHP, if you have to piss and moan about that, take it up with the departments that operate in this manner. I'll be glad to provide you with names and phone numbers if you want to tell them how stupid they are.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    In your household, this may well be true, but that has no bearing on everyone else. All our vehicles are in my name, but the wife also carries.

    Besides, any LEO pulling your wife over is not going assume that she is George, or Robert or Billy Bob, when he sees a female driver. They do it for a reason, and you can say it ain't so as much as you want, that is common practice, at least in states where DL information will include the fact that they also have a carry permit.

    Each of the deputies I know have been on the force probably 15 - 20 years each, and tell me this how it works, plus the dispatcher I have known for over 40 years says it is common practice for all dispatchers to run the registered owner based on the tag, and report anything that shows up, including that they have a carry permit.

    Why doesn't your wife carry? My wife does, as does my adult daughter.
    I have one vehicle registered to my business. And although NY doesn't connect permits and DMV info I wonder how this is handled in states where the registrar's permit info pops on a DMV check. Anyone know the answer to this?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I have one vehicle registered to my business. And although NY doesn't connect permits and DMV info I wonder how this is handled in states where the registrar's permit info pops on a DMV check. Anyone know the answer to this?
    Warning: your blood pressure will spike when you read this:

    Not well, at least in Maryland. Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast