Crazy laws

Thread: Crazy laws

Cool Crazy laws

Five days ago I was a Virgina resident with a Virginia CCL. Traveling south to my new home I was able to carry my weapon up to the Georgia line where I had to remove and place in the glove box; I drove another 10 miles into Georgia to my new home. Since that time I have become a Georgia resident (Now have a GA licence.) Driving back to Virginia, even once I receive my GA wepaons permit I can never carry in SC even though it was legal to five days ago. I have to re-apply to the Virgina State police for a VA non resident permit to carry where I legally could five days ago.

Get a non-resident Utah or Florida permit. Also the maps on this site would have shown you that under resources.

4. Mack,
    What is at issue is whether or not the 2 states can agree on recognizing each others permits. SC has always been notorious for wanting to do things their own way and refuses to recognize GA's (and AL and MS for that matter) permit because they are not happy with the way the law in those states is written. Since SC refuses to recognize their permits, none of the states I mentioned recognizes the validity of an SC permit either.

I live in AL and can empathize with you. The state law here leaves it up to the discretion of the County Sheriff as to what the exact requirements and fees are for a Pistol Permit. That means there's about 40+ different sets of requirements and which county you live in decides what you need to do to get a permit. A LOT of states don't like this set up and refuse to recognize AL permits because it's not written in state legal code what the requirements are. In return, AL won't recognize their permits either.

It's actually kind of amusing because the Brady Bunch see a vague 'May Issue' law on the state books and give AL a good grade because of it when the reality is getting a permit in all the counties of AL I've ever heard of is simple (I filled out the application and waited a week to hear back on the background check- no fingerprints or any of that other stuff), reasonably priced (I pay $20 a year) and is treated as 'Shall Issue' in all but name.

Quote Originally Posted by amddude View Post
    Get a non-resident Utah or Florida permit. Also the maps on this site would have shown you that under resources.
    South Carolina does not accept nonresident permits from other states. His only recourse is to obtain a South Carolina nonresident permit.

Non Resident Permit

How do I get a Non Resident permit? I alrrady have a permit in GA.

Quote Originally Posted by rock919 View Post
    How do I get a Non Resident permit? I alrrady have a permit in GA.
    For Florida you can go to the Florida Department of Agriculture and request a packet. It comes with all the required info. For South Carolina, well you have to own property there even if you're not a resident.

Here's a link for Florida:

Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS