Guns & Drugs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns & Drugs

Guns & Drugs

Riddle me this. My girlfriend has her medical marijuana card (no i am not a user) and i was wondering if anyone knew the legality of carrying my gun in the same car that she is carrying her "medicine". If she left her card at home one day and we got pulled, would i or she get into worse trouble cause i was armed...

Instead of trying to figure out what could happen if you're caught with her, wouldn't it make sense to
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else who has had to deal with this or a similar situation. I just relocated to Colorado where it's legal. maybe i should jump to the state-specific forum...

Instead of trying to figure out what could happen if you're caught with her, wouldn't it make more sense to be with a woman who doesn't use drugs? Furthermore, doesn't being around her when she's doing it increase the chances that the drug is in your system too? Imagine how that would look in the event you are ever involved in a self-defense shooting.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

If would, however I really love this girl so that's out of the question. The chances that it would be in my system are very slim but still present nonetheless (thanks for bringing that to my attention). I just don't want to make a bad situation worse in the event of a vehicle search. If the weapon is on my person does it even matter that she is carrying a controlled substance (albeit a decriminalized one)?

7. I am both a medical card holder and CWP holder in my local state. This is just my opinion on the situation so i would not take it for more than that.

The laws around this subject are not very outlined in my opinion. Because of this, i have not gone out of my way at all to isolate the two from each other.
    I am a citizen of a legal medical state with my legitimate prescription. I am also a legal concealed weapons permit holder. Whether you are a fan of marijuana or not, the two really dont have anything to do with each other, and thats the way the state should treat it.
    At no point in time would my marijuana use inhibit me from making the correct decision of whether to display or use force with a concealed weapon. Im sure everyone is in agreement that a concealed weapon does not do you much good if it is not in your possession. It is this opinion alone that allowed me to make the decision to continue to carry when in possession of marijuana.

Now, with that being said, am i protected if pulled over? The answer to that question will have to wait until I am placed in that situation. I have never thought that I am above the law and will take any consequence that is given. I also understand fully that it could potentially cost me a lot of money fighting it in court, and am prepared to do so.
    It seems that like with all issues related to Medical Marijuana Laws and Rights, you will never know until someone has fought it in court and has beaten it. You see it a lot in California (the first medical state), once the issue is fought in court, it is referenced in other participating states.

I have asked Marijuana Delivery Drivers if they carry a concealed weapon, and none of them stated that they do. They do however state to place all marijuana in a separate compartment (like ammo in some states). I am also assuming that they are talking about an amount of marijuana that would be typically larger than a daily allotment.

Now that I have gotten you to read this far, this is where i get to plug my opinion on the subject. Feel Free to Ignore.

Gun owners and Medical Marijuana users really have a lot in common. They are both fighting to improve or maintain rights in a subject that is very close to them where they believe that they have the basic right of choice. Both feel that even though there are bad seeds abusing rights which cause a negative affect on the subject and society, there are ultimately a larger number of abiding citizens using their right for the intended purpose. You will find that both Gun Owners and Medical Marijuana users will be passionate and tend to stand up for their right at all costs.

Either way, you will see me to continue to NOT separate the two from each other, and carry on as a normal positive citizen of my community. As a firearm activist, im sure you understand ;).

Mindonmars, as a card carrying Libertarian, I believe it is a travesty that an adult who spends their own money on something that they use in private, and whose use harms no one, can be thrown in jail for it (after all, what are alcohol and tobacco?). In my previous post, I was not advocating for keeping marijuana illegal; I was saying that, because it is illegal (even if you have a card from your state, it's still illegal under federal law), CCW holders should exercise caution and steer clear of marijuana and people who use it. Only if it becomes legal will I change my position.

9. tattedupboy, I fully agree. With anything that is "Borderline illegal" i would recommend to be as safe as possible and not push buttons. Most of the time it is not worth it. Luckily I myself am in a position where I have the financial ability to stand up and take on the challenges/consequences that could follow.

What i noticed, is it came down to the decision for me of what I want to stand up for. Unfortunately I am unwilling to compromise on either, as currently they are both my states right.

By the way, I found myself educating my coworkers with your Ben F quote. One of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Instead of trying to figure out what could happen if you're caught with her, wouldn't it make more sense to be with a woman who doesn't use drugs? Furthermore, doesn't being around her when she's doing it increase the chances that the drug is in your system too? Imagine how that would look in the event you are ever involved in a self-defense shooting.
    I am a substance abuse counselor and hear this all the time. The only way to get second hand smoke in your system from marijuana is to do a "shotgun". I agree that medical mj in most cases is a legal excuse to use illegal drugs,IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mindonmars View Post
    Now that I have gotten you to read this far, this is where i get to plug my opinion on the subject. Feel Free to Ignore.

Gun owners and Medical Marijuana users really have a lot in common. They are both fighting to improve or maintain rights in a subject that is very close to them where they believe that they have the basic right of choice. Both feel that even though there are bad seeds abusing rights which cause a negative affect on the subject and society, there are ultimately a larger number of abiding citizens using their right for the intended purpose. You will find that both Gun Owners and Medical Marijuana users will be passionate and tend to stand up for their right at all costs.

Either way, you will see me to continue to NOT separate the two from each other, and carry on as a normal positive citizen of my community. As a firearm activist, im sure you understand ;).
    You can lump in a few other groups with that list,
    1- Motorcyclists
    2- Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual People
    3- Pagans
    4- The Adult Film Industry and its consumers
    And probably a few more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast