Chapter 39. Firearms, Other Dangerous
    Weapons, and Instruments of Crime
    2C:39-1. Definitions The following definitions
    apply to this chapter and to chapter 58:
    y. "Large capacity ammunition magazine"
    means a box, drum, tube or other container
    which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds
    of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly
    therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.
    To the OP,
    Your situation depends entirely upon if you are traveling THROUGH New Jersey or traveling TO New Jersey.

If you are traveling TO New Jersey, leave your handgun at home. If you are traveling THROUGH New Jersey, comply with FOPA (posted above) and never consent to any search of the locked compartment/container the firearms and ammo are in, no matter what New Jersey LEO tells you.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

You can by LAW carry the weapon in a lock box in the TRUNK with the ammunition seperate from said weapon. You can also have Hollow Point ammunition as long as it is also in the trunk and seperated from the weapon. You can also have a magazine in the trunk no matter what ammount of ammo it will hold as long as you are only PASSING through the arm pit of the world N.J.

As far as the arrest of Mr.Aitken is concernd that case was overturned because of some stupid asses that brought the charges without the right to do so.
    Yes I am a retired Det. Sergeant that taught weapons laws as defined in N.J. 2-c law in the Police Academy in New Jersey.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by old curmudgeon View Post
    Is it possible to visit NJ with a handgun in my vehicle.

Would be there only one day.
    SGTBILL is correct... I visit NJ with a gun regularly. I go for training and even some range time now and then. NJ will not allow you to carry the gun on your person. You must have the gun locked (I lock both the gun and the case) in your trunk. Any ammo must be locked in another container in the trunk. You must have your home state FOID or CCW permit with you.

I train in the Newark area regularly and have had no problems.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

5. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    You must have your home state FOID or CCW permit with you.
    And what if I don't have any permit/license from my home state or any other state?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Under 2-c law and title #39 neither is a requirement to travel through the state of New Jersey with a firearm etc. locked in your trunk. As far as for training all it would require is a copy of the class course and or your registration for said class. You would still have to comply with the locked in the trunk rule.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill View Post
    As far as the arrest of Mr.Aitken is concernd that case was overturned because of some stupid asses that brought the charges without the right to do so.
    Bill
    When was the case overturned? I wasn't even aware he had formally filed his appeal, let alone that the appellate division heard it already. And exactly who were the "stupid asses" you were talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And what if I don't have any permit/license from my home state or any other state?
    SGTBILL has it right again. You would notify the officer that your state has no foid or permit requirement (probably a good idea to have some documentation stating that). It's still legal to bring the gun into the state as long as you transport the gun properly. There's a few nice gun ranges in rural NJ along the NY border that are closer for some NY residents so they shoot at the NJ ranges. No one seems to have any problems even when stopped by police.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Look just save yourself a headache and leave the gun at home. You can't get a weapons charge (whether or not it's right or fair) if you don't have any weapons in your vehicle.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

10. [QUOTE=NavyLCDR;215071]False information.

Sorry I stand corrected. Years ago I was up there and a friend who was a State Trooper, saw a 15 round mag on my dash ( unloaded) and told me to put it in my tool box in the bed of the truck because it was illegal. As always on this site, don't ask the LEO's what the law is.

You would think these states would have better things to occupy their law enforcment resources than this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast