Need to Notify???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Need to Notify????

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    2,784
    Why is everyone linking to other sites for this information when it is right here on USA Carry? There is a section "Informing Law Enforcement of Carry" on each state's information. The ones blank are the one I could not find any info on and are the same ones no one else mentioned if you have to notify or not.

    Concealed Firearm Permit Information - USA Carry


    Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

  2.   
  3. #12
    If you go to: Handgunlaw.us and look at the "U.S. Off Limits" sections it shows whether you must notify but you have to check each state. A nice data base set-up with basic info of this type would be a great thing (hint).

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    2,784
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    If you go to: Handgunlaw.us and look at the "U.S. Off Limits" sections it shows whether you must notify but you have to check each state. A nice data base set-up with basic info of this type would be a great thing (hint).
    I'm working on putting this stuff in the database but as I said in my post above, that same exact information is on USA Carry, so I don't see the need to get it from another site. Their information isn't in a database, it is just listed in a PDF which is a file you have to download and open. Mine is just listed on a webpage which you just load in your browser and read.

    And if you don't have Adobe Acrobat installed then you have to go download and install it just to view the information on that site. You don't need anything installed to view the information on USA Carry.


    Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    I'm working on putting this stuff in the database but as I said in my post above, that same exact information is on USA Carry, so I don't see the need to get it from another site.
    Tried the link given for "Concealed Firearm Permit Information - USA Carry" and it is much easier to use. Luke, as always, your doing an outstanding job. Thanks for the hard work.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    I'm working on putting this stuff in the database but as I said in my post above, that same exact information is on USA Carry, so I don't see the need to get it from another site. Their information isn't in a database, it is just listed in a PDF which is a file you have to download and open. Mine is just listed on a webpage which you just load in your browser and read.

    And if you don't have Adobe Acrobat installed then you have to go download and install it just to view the information on that site. You don't need anything installed to view the information on USA Carry.
    I like it just the way you have it, Luke. Furthermore, you're making improvements all the time. Keep up the good work!

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Close to Reading, PA
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    +1

    Besides the moment LEO asks "are you carrying any weapons, needels....." you've got to answer him.
    Actually, that is incorrect in some states, depending on their firearms laws. Unless specifically stated otherwise, you have the right to not ever speak to a LEO. If you are pulled over for whatever reason, you are required to show the documentation (license, registration, insurance), but you never have to say a word.

    If you don't answer the question, you can't lie to the LEO.

    I know this is true in my home state, but learn the laws in your own. IANAL!!!

    In practice however, you are better off talking to the LEO and either changing the subject or answering him honestly. Whatever you do, DO NOT LIE TO A LEO.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by rayven View Post
    Actually, that is incorrect in some states, depending on their firearms laws. Unless specifically stated otherwise, you have the right to not ever speak to a LEO. If you are pulled over for whatever reason, you are required to show the documentation (license, registration, insurance), but you never have to say a word.

    If you don't answer the question, you can't lie to the LEO.

    I know this is true in my home state, but learn the laws in your own. IANAL!!!

    In practice however, you are better off talking to the LEO and either changing the subject or answering him honestly. Whatever you do, DO NOT LIE TO A LEO.
    Well this will only throw fuel on the fire the way I see it. If the LEO ask you a ? and you refuse to reply that gives him resonalbe doubt and he can rip you a new one. Why would you not want to inform them in the first place if you haven't done anything wrong? Just my 2 cents worth, because I was told when in CCW class to always show my permit.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Close to Reading, PA
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf2810 View Post
    Well this will only throw fuel on the fire the way I see it. If the LEO ask you a ? and you refuse to reply that gives him resonalbe doubt and he can rip you a new one. Why would you not want to inform them in the first place if you haven't done anything wrong?
    According to the law in all states, refusal to talk to a police officer does not give him probable cause to pursue the case further. If a LEO asks me a question that I feel is inappropriate, illegal, or personal, I just won't answer it as I am legally entitled to do.

    The question isn't whether or not you have done anything wrong or not, but the fact that police are trained to word things in a way to implicate yourself in a crime whether you are guilty or not, and then what you say WILL be used against you. The less you tell a cop, the less chance you have of being convicted. Ask any lawyer whether you should voluntarily speak to a cop.

    In my opinion, the police should deal with the matter at hand only unless circumstances prove otherwise. If I'm driving and speeding, get my driving info and give me a ticket. It doesn't matter where I'm going, why I'm going so fast, and whether or not I have a firearm with me.

    I just don't think the police should have the right to personal information that is aside from the current circumstance.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf2810 View Post
    Just my 2 cents worth, because I was told when in CCW class to always show my permit.
    In practice, for most people it eliminates the possibility of surprise, and cops hate surprises. But in my experience, police are not generally friendly to the gun-carrying public, so if you don't answer the question, they can't be negative about it. And if they are, they risk state and federal lawsuits.

    But draw your own conclusion and do what you think is right and necessary for the situation. Everyone should make the choice on their own. I am just tired of the "papers please!" mentality of law enforcement lately.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Close to Reading, PA
    Posts
    151

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by rayven View Post
    According to the law in all states, refusal to talk to a police officer does not give him probable cause to pursue the case further. If a LEO asks me a question that I feel is inappropriate, illegal, or personal, I just won't answer it as I am legally entitled to do.

    The question isn't whether or not you have done anything wrong or not, but the fact that police are trained to word things in a way to implicate yourself in a crime whether you are guilty or not, and then what you say WILL be used against you. The less you tell a cop, the less chance you have of being convicted. Ask any lawyer whether you should voluntarily speak to a cop.

    In my opinion, the police should deal with the matter at hand only unless circumstances prove otherwise. If I'm driving and speeding, get my driving info and give me a ticket. It doesn't matter where I'm going, why I'm going so fast, and whether or not I have a firearm with me.

    I just don't think the police should have the right to personal information that is aside from the current circumstance.




    In practice, for most people it eliminates the possibility of surprise, and cops hate surprises. But in my experience, police are not generally friendly to the gun-carrying public, so if you don't answer the question, they can't be negative about it. And if they are, they risk state and federal lawsuits.

    But draw your own conclusion and do what you think is right and necessary for the situation. Everyone should make the choice on their own. I am just tired of the "papers please!" mentality of law enforcement lately.
    In most states that require notification, the cop pulling you over will know before approaching the vehicle whether you're a permit holder anyway, so refusing to tell him won't make much of a difference either way. I would just cooperate and not piss him off; it just makes things a heck of a lot easier on yourself.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast