Need to Notify????
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to Notify????

1. Need to Notify????

Is there anyplace on the net that has a list of the states that require you to notify police you have a permit & are armed when stopped.
    I will be taking a trip soon through 7 states & would like to find the info in one place rather then go to each states home page & try to find the gun laws there.

Added by lukem

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...formation.html

There is a section "Informing Law Enforcement of Carry" on each state's information. The ones blank are the one I could not find any info on and are the same ones other sites have blank.
    Last edited by lukem; 11-16-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Let's see. I've just been stopped by LE. Let me think... What state am I driving in today? Do I have to declare? All this stress and I'm able to remember the rules here. Unlikely

When we train we learn techniques to take care of possible firearm faults. Methods have been developed to cover the most situations and require minimum analysis under stress.

Therefore, for me, I'm always going to turn on the interior lights, have my hands on the steering wheel, declare my CCW and my armed status. One method to cover all situations.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!
    EDC Primary: M&P45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon light in SmartCarry holster
    >>> http://MP-Pistol.com/
    EDC BUF: LCP, Crimson Trace LaserGuard in DeSantis Super Fly holster
    >>> http://LCPforum.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Therefore, for me, I'm always going to turn on the interior lights, have my hands on the steering wheel, declare my CCW and my armed status. One method to cover all situations.

+1

Besides the moment LEO asks "are you carrying any weapons, needels....." you've got to answer him.
    Rule #1 of CCW: Don't get made.

USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Here is our Texas Page which lists:

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
    If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by this subsection is subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by Section 411.187.

So basically if the LEO asks for your ID, go ahead and give him both.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Get it all up front.

If I get stopped I'll just hand them my DL and CWP and let them do the asking. I've done that a two DUI check points and they looked at them and handed them back and said have a nice day.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I know we have to by law here in Utah. Just in case your passing through. But IMHO its better just to get it out front anyways. Shows a bit of trust and respect on your behalf.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

1. When you get stopped, immediately pull over safely. The best thing is to pull into a parking lot, and under a shelter if it's raining. A dry cop is a happy cop.
    2. Turn your dome light on.
    3. Roll your windows down (unless it's raining) and put your arm on the door, with your hand visible.
    4. Turn the car off.
    5. Give them everything at once. Why not do this? There's no reason not to. Most cops will understand, and if you do all of the previous steps, they'll realize you're not a threat. I have a thing that holds my registration and proof of insurance together, and I just give them that. My CWP and DL are also in the same spot in my wallet. I can get them all together and ready to go before I even pull over.
    6. Greet the officer politely and give them the information.
    7. Wait a while, whatever...then be on your way. Thank them and leave.

Keep your car clean, don't act suspicious, don't give them a hard time and you'll be fine. Be a model citizen all the way, and if they do anything wrong then it's undeniably all their fault and you can go for a lawsuit.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Is there anyplace on the net that has a list of the states that require you to notify police you have a permit & are armed when stopped.
    I will be taking a trip soon through 7 states & would like to find the info in one place rather then go to each states home page & try to find the gun laws there.
    Sounds like laziness to me. If you're not sure whether or not you have to declare for a particular state, just go to the pages of the states that you don't know this information for and make note of the notification requirement (or lack thereof). So what if you have to go state by state; at least you'll know. Besides, when doing research on anything, this is typically something you'll have to do anyway. I know if I'm a teacher or professor and a student of mine refuses to research something because all the info they need is not contained in one source, that would tell me that they are lazy. Don't be lazy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast