flying with your firearm - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: flying with your firearm

I bought one of these:
    Center Of Mass Central

to use when I fly and store the ammo in there as well, no problems. I also have a copy of the TSA and airlline rules for flying with a gun in your luggage...

Jim

So after your brief encounter with the TSA people, your "hardcase" is then placed on the conveyor and handeled as check-in luggage? If I understand this right, you can not do a "carry-on..is this correct?
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    So after your brief encounter with the TSA people, your "hardcase" is then placed on the conveyor and handeled as check-in luggage? If I understand this right, you can not do a "carry-on..is this correct?
    That is correct. Declared unloaded firearms must be in checked baggage per federal law. The only persons who can carry firearms onboard a plane are pilots cleared by TSA and their employer to do so and certified LEOs carrying on official business.

Best practice is to have your hard side firearm case inside your checked luggage so it will not draw attention. I did see a padlocked hard side case come out of the baggage claim in Louisville and when I returned home to Vegas. That's a bad practice because a locked hard side case on the baggage claim carousel screams gun and invites theft.

A normal piece of luggage secured with a TSA lock with your locked hard side firearm case does not scream gun to the world.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    That is correct. Declared unloaded firearms must be in checked baggage per federal law. The only persons who can carry firearms onboard a plane are pilots cleared by TSA and their employer to do so and certified LEOs carrying on official business.

Best practice is to have your hard side firearm case inside your checked luggage so it will not draw attention. I did see a padlocked hard side case come out of the baggage claim in Louisville and when I returned home to Vegas. That's a bad practice because a locked hard side case on the baggage claim carousel screams gun and invites theft.

A normal piece of luggage secured with a TSA lock with your locked hard side firearm case does not scream gun to the world.

Keep in mind that some airlines do not allow you to place a firearms case in another piece of luggage.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Keep in mind that some airlines do not allow you to place a firearms case in another piece of luggage.
    gf
    I would avoid using those airlines since they are putting your firearms at a much greater risk for being stolen by this practice. The airlines I have used do not have this requirement. They unfortunately do exist.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Last I flew the bags were red tagged now that may have changed, but it was very obvious which ones had a gun in the bag ... Delta
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

Quote Originally Posted by 340mopar View Post
    Last I flew the bags were red tagged now that may have changed, but it was very obvious which ones had a gun in the bag ... Delta
    Red tags go in the case. We used to call them "steal me" tags. The FAA has since changed the regulations.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

As discussed earlier on this thread, LAS and Southwest is A-OKAY!!!

Southwest and Cleveland (CLE) are A_OKAY too!

The agent took my bag to TSA, and they scanned it and gave me the thumbs up and all was well......

So, add Cleveland to your list of okay places to check your weapons!

Carl
    Pack your bags, were going on a guilt trip!

Just got back from Florida last night. Other than a bad weather delay in Tampa last night, no problems.

LAS to MCO
    PBI to LAS

I fly Southwest whenever possible.

Another successful trip...

LAS (McCarran Las Vegas) to HOU (Houston Hobby) and back.

The only firearm related issue I had was the Southwest ticket agent had me fill out a firearm declaration card for each firearm. I brought three this last trip.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast