flying with your firearm - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: flying with your firearm

1. The way it SHOULD be!

"The only thing necessary for the Triumph of Evil. is for Good Men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

3. The NY penal code states you must notify them of a change of address. Failure to do so can mean immediate revocation. If you get stopped for some reason while in NY and for some reason you must show your permit, and you are NOT a NY resident, then your permit is NOT valid.

do you need a separate lock box for ammo when flying? or can it be in same case? or can that be in regular checked bag

Ammo Questions

do you need a separate lock box for ammo when flying

No

can it be in same case

Yes

can that be in regular checked bag

Yes
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by svrivera View Post
    do you need a separate lock box for ammo when flying? or can it be in same case? or can that be in regular checked bag
    You should check with the ariline you're flying with. Some airlines charge a special fee if you're checking in firearms. Certain airlines will allow you to place your ammo with your firearms (I strongly advise against it). Other airlines (like United and Delta) require you to have your ammunition in a different piece of luggage. FAA doesn't require you to have your ammo in a different piece of luggage, it's up to the airlines, they do however require that the ammunition be transported in the original factory container or better (like plastic reload boxes). The ammunition has to be secured so it won't end up rolling around in your luggage during handling. You can transport loaded magazines, but the magazines must be in a pouch that encloses the exposed cartridges (as most magazine pouches do).

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Here is a talk about flying with firearms.
    Talk was given at an information/computer security conference.

YouTube - Deviant Ollam - Packing and the Friendly Skies - LayerOne 2009

Air Travel Accounts
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

8. Link to TSA reg's

How about a link to the TSA reg's so I can print them and have them with me this spring. We will be flying to California and driving a motorcoach back to Indiana. I want to take 2 revolvers with me.

Thanks,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    You should check with the ariline you're flying with. Some airlines charge a special fee if you're checking in firearms. Certain airlines will allow you to place your ammo with your firearms (I strongly advise against it). Other airlines (like United and Delta) require you to have your ammunition in a different piece of luggage. FAA doesn't require you to have your ammo in a different piece of luggage, it's up to the airlines, they do however require that the ammunition be transported in the original factory container or better (like plastic reload boxes). The ammunition has to be secured so it won't end up rolling around in your luggage during handling. You can transport loaded magazines, but the magazines must be in a pouch that encloses the exposed cartridges (as most magazine pouches do).

gf

Are you sure about Delta requiring ammo in different bag? Don't think this is their policy. Certainly is not their written policy. Maybe depends on the airports?

10. How about flying into California, any issues?

How about flying into and out of Ontario, Ca? We will be leaving Louisville, KY to California. I am permited in Indiana, my home state. Are there any issues I need to know about flying into and out of California? I will be bringing 2 revolvers and ammo.

TSA Link

Quote Originally Posted by Fred420 View Post
    How about a link to the TSA reg's so I can print them and have them with me this spring. We will be flying to California and driving a motorcoach back to Indiana. I want to take 2 revolvers with me.

Thanks,
    Fred
    TSA: Traveling with Special Items
    Orlando, FL

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast