Traveling Through Several States
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling Through Several States

Traveling Through Several States

In mid September my wife and I will be traveling from MN to Charleston, SC. We will travel through WI, IL, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, MS, AL, LA, AR, MO and IA going and returning to MN. I have a resident MN CCL and a FL non-res CCL. I will be legal in all states except IL and SC and know that I must secure my gun in the trunk unloaded and separate from the ammo. I have read everything that is on this site and tried to read the official sites for each state the legalese is confusing. I believe I understand what states I have to notify a LEO, restaurant, rest stop, State Parks and open carry. We will not be going onto any school or government property.

I am looking for any heads up from anyone on info that I may have missed. I want to follow the laws because I do TRY to be law abiding and I do not want to lose my gun because of some obscure edict. Thanks in advance for any help.

I think you will be good in Illinois now. I read in several places that with their changes in gun laws, that non residents that have a CWP from their state can carry in their car while in Illinois. When you decide to exit your car in Illinois you will need to unload the gun and lock it up. You might want to read up on their laws to be certain.

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    I have a resident MN CCL and a FL non-res CCL.

We will not be going onto any school or government property.

I am looking for any heads up from anyone on info that I may have missed. I want to follow the laws because I do TRY to be law abiding
    Well, according to Federal law, it will be illegal for you to possess a loaded firearm on public property within 1000' of the premises of a school in any state except for MN and FL:

18 USC 922 (q)(2):
    18 USC 922 - Unlawful acts | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 USC 922 - Unlawful acts
    (q)(2)
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

18 USC 921 - Definitions
    (a) As used in this chapter—
    (25) The term “school zone” means—
    (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
    (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Add TN to the list. You can drop off a student at school as long as the gun is not handled while doing so. You can also leave it in your car if you are a non-student adult provided you have a valid HCP.

TCA 39-17-1351 makes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by Tennessee.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Look at Handgunlaw.us and it will answer your questions for each state. Easy to use and may keep you out of trouble.

In mid September my wife and I will be traveling from MN to Charleston, SC. We will travel through WI, IL, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, MS, AL, LA, AR, MO and IA going and returning to MN. I have a resident MN CCL and a FL non-res CCL. I will be legal in all states except IL and SC and know that I must secure my gun in the trunk unloaded and separate from the ammo. I have read everything that is on this site and tried to read the official sites for each state the legalese is confusing. I believe I understand what states I have to notify a LEO, restaurant, rest stop, State Parks and open carry. We will not be going onto any school or government property.

I am looking for any heads up from anyone on info that I may have missed. I want to follow the laws because I do TRY to be law abiding and I do not want to lose my gun because of some obscure edict. Thanks in advance for any help.
    your plans will not be good because SC is your destination, and like you said, you are not legal in SC, FOPA only offers you protection only if you are passing THROUGH a state.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    your plans will not be good because SC is your destination, and like you said, you are not legal in SC, FOPA only offers you protection only if you are passing THROUGH a state.
    Who said he was relying on FOPA? FOPA only needs to be applied in states where there would be no other way to legally transport that firearm through that state. As long as he can comply with the state laws of every state he enters, then there is no need to rely upon FOPA. Unloaded and locked in the trunk complies with both the laws of Illinois and South Carolina. FOPA has nothing to do with it. In South Carolina the gun does not even need to be unloaded if contained in a closed Glove Box, Console or Trunk.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Who said he was relying on FOPA? FOPA only needs to be applied in states where there would be no other way to legally transport that firearm through that state. As long as he can comply with the state laws of every state he enters, then there is no need to rely upon FOPA. Unloaded and locked in the trunk complies with both the laws of Illinois and South Carolina. FOPA has nothing to do with it. In South Carolina the gun does not even need to be unloaded if contained in a closed Glove Box, Console or Trunk.
    he is staying IN SC, his permits are NOT HONORED IN SC

So far as I know I have no plans to go near any school or public property. I will be staying in SC for around 2 weeks. I will also be spending 1-2 nights in IL. From all I have read about IL law I will unload and stow my gun in the trunk. There seems to be some conflict on just what the law says. There are several county Sheriff's who say they will NOT pursue guns due to the new CC law passed. BUT the IL State Police say they will arrest anyone with a gun. I do not trust IL at all, the state is broke and will do whatever it can to raise revenue. While in SC I will also stow my gun while on the road only because I do not want to take a chance of losing my gun because of some LEO who does not know the law or just wants to be an a$$. For the most part my gun will not be on my belt much while driving due to comfort. It will be on my belt when I exit the car for gas, to eat or for other needs where it will be legal.

I have been on the Handgunlaw.us site also and I do believe that I know and understand the laws of each state I will be in or traveling through. My reason for this thread was to get the opinion of others to check what I think I know. I want to be sure I understand what I read. I do not want to find out that some state has in fine print, their laws only apply during a full moon on Feb 29th in the year of the rat. Or some other mumbo jumbo.

I do not want my gun taken away and then have to spend a long time in a fight to get it back. We have seen and heard of to many pro-gun states that have anti-gun people in positions to cause us problems.

Thanks to all again for your input and advice.

So far as I know I have no plans to go near any school or public property. I will be staying in SC for around 2 weeks. I will also be spending 1-2 nights in IL. From all I have read about IL law I will unload and stow my gun in the trunk. There seems to be some conflict on just what the law says. There are several county Sheriff's who say they will NOT pursue guns due to the new CC law passed. BUT the IL State Police say they will arrest anyone with a gun. I do not trust IL at all, the state is broke and will do whatever it can to raise revenue. While in SC I will also stow my gun while on the road only because I do not want to take a chance of losing my gun because of some LEO who does not know the law or just wants to be an a$$. For the most part my gun will not be on my belt much while driving due to comfort. It will be on my belt when I exit the car for gas, to eat or for other needs where it will be legal.

I have been on the Handgunlaw.us site also and I do believe that I know and understand the laws of each state I will be in or traveling through. My reason for this thread was to get the opinion of others to check what I think I know. I want to be sure I understand what I read. I do not want to find out that some state has in fine print, their laws only apply during a full moon on Feb 29th in the year of the rat. Or some other mumbo jumbo.

I do not want my gun taken away and then have to spend a long time in a fight to get it back. We have seen and heard of to many pro-gun states that have anti-gun people in positions to cause us problems.

Thanks to all again for your input and advice.
    As long as you don't meander IL is not your problem, what do you plan on doing with your gun in SC? if you wear it on your belt in SC you will probably have issues with law enforcement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast