Castle Doctrine Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castle Doctrine Question

1. Thanks for al of yalls help and replies. Its just frustrating trying to understand all of these different laws and regs from state to state along with the wording of the laws. At first glance, without any prior legal experience, it can be confusing and ambiguous until you begin to learn what is meant by different terms. All of your replies have helped me out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffypuck View Post
    Sorry if this has been addressed, but its a fairly new law in TN that allows non CCP citizens of TN to carry their firearm in their vehicle, loaded and accessable, just as if you were in your home. I am in the process of obtaining my CCP here in TN, but was wondering what the castle doctrine laws are across the nation. It takes forever to sift through the mountains of regulations for each state and I was wondering if there is a list of states that have the same or similar law. I will be travelling out west this summer and probably will not actually carry on my person very often, but will have the FA in my vehicle and in any hotel room I might stay at. Most of the links I see here address reciprocity for openly or concealed carry in public, but what about in my vehicle with or without a CCP?
    Bear in mind that even in a castle doctrin state and inside your car, your ability to just drive away from the situation will come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffypuck View Post
    Thanks for al of yalls help and replies. Its just frustrating trying to understand all of these different laws and regs from state to state along with the wording of the laws. At first glance, without any prior legal experience, it can be confusing and ambiguous until you begin to learn what is meant by different terms. All of your replies have helped me out. Thanks.
    I travel a lot and have found that it's easier to form one style of carry and disposition of stratagy that conforms to the most restrictions and practice that anywhere I go. For example you might carry an 'assult weapon' ban compliant pistol all the time even while in nonAWB states so that you don't forget and carry a prohibited firearm into a restrictive state. Or you might always inform a cop that you're armed and show your permit even while in states with no 'duty to inform' so that you don't accidentally fail to inform in a state that requires it.

Regarding carry, keep it concealed and on your person, or unloaded in a locked hard case in your trunk with amunition in it's factory box under your passenger seat. Many states have some very stupid laws which, as you point out, are damn near impossible to learn of ahead of time even with due diligence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12