New York
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: New York

  1. New York

    Hello has anyone from Nassau or Suffolk flown with there firearm to another state and how did it go ?


    Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Niagara region, ON,CA
    Posts
    23
    Look up Title 18 USC 926A. Everything there explained.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

  4. Alright thanks for the help


    Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun1 View Post
    Look up Title 18 USC 926A. Everything there explained.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    It's more complicated than that. People have been prosecuted for flying out of NY state with a firearm. The OP doesn't mention the deciding circumstances to make a determination of legality. The OP was simply asking for experience reports.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by wj2615 View Post
    Hello has anyone from Nassau or Suffolk flown with there firearm to another state and how did it go ?
    Are you a resident of NY and if so, do you have the necessary permits for the firearm in question?

    New York Criminal Possession of a Weapon at New York Airports

  7. Yes I have a NY permit and a concealed carry in other states as well


    Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Niagara region, ON,CA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    It's more complicated than that. People have been prosecuted for flying out of NY state with a firearm. The OP doesn't mention the deciding circumstances to make a determination of legality. The OP was simply asking for experience reports.
    I travel at least twice a month through NY, an on top of that cross the border at Buffalo to either compete in NYS or travel through to another. I have a pretty good idea how it's done after forty years.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by wj2615 View Post
    Yes I have a NY permit and a concealed carry in other states as well
    You may want to read this older thread and see if you can get any usable information out of it: Traveling from NY (LGA) to Savannah (SAV), best way to transport firearms?. As far as I know, you should be OK with NY state laws if flying out of JFK, but then I am not a lawyer.

    You need to check that you can legally posses said firearm at your destination. Also, it is a good idea not to have a connection in any state where you can not posses said firearm. This is just in case you get stranded, for example due to winter weather. Since you are coming from one of the most restrictive states, you should understand what that means.

    There are already other threads in this forum on the procedures of flying with a firearm. It is always recommended to check with the airline Web site for specifics and to call up the airline counter of the airports (plural, if you are flying back) you fly out of.

    WeaponsMan | Flying With a Gun


  10. Alright thank you for the info


    Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun1 View Post
    I travel at least twice a month through NY, an on top of that cross the border at Buffalo to either compete in NYS or travel through to another. I have a pretty good idea how it's done after forty years.
    Title 18 USC 926A is supposed to protect one while traveling though states in a car. It has nothing to do with flying. It has nothing to do with driving to/from the airport in your state of residence or from/to the airport in your destination state. There is a reason why 18 USC 926A is called the "safe passage" provision of the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986. Your post was irrelevant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast