Short stay in Illinois - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short stay in Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye2347 View Post
    And what is the statue/law/public act/rule that requires that? I have lived here my entire life except my stint with the military and have not nor do I know of any such requirement. Possibly you are refering to a city/county ordinance?
    If you don't have one of these you'll be in big trouble if they catch you.

Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

What is a FOID card?
    The FOID card was created in 1968, by the FOID Act, as a way to identify those persons eligible to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition as part of a public safety initiative in the State of Illinois.

Who needs a FOID card?
    Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?
    Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Popeye2347 View Post
    During your stay take note of where you are living. If it is a hotel/motel room I suspect it would be afoul the law to have your weapon in loaded in the room with you-check with the local sheriff/states attorney to be mostly sure. If you rent a home/apartment for your stay then most likely you will be OK, but still I encourage you to check with the local Sheriff/SA/LEO's. I agree it sucks, but with Mayor Daily and the Chicago group....
    Missouri is much more friendly!
    NavyLT has some good advice. You are allowed to have a loaded firearm in your abode and HB182 passed recently and specifically said a hotel or motel room is considered your abode. Actually Indiana and Ohio seems to have worse transportation laws than Illinois. With the Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card you can have a cased firearm unloaded with a loaded magazine in the same case in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. In fact the Illinois lobbyist for the NRA says it is also legal for non residents because the state will not issue them a FOID card. If this is true the Illinois State Police website doesn't mention it. The FOID might be the permit mentioned that is needed to have a firearm in your home if you are an Illinois resident.

Exercising caution, especially in the Chicago area is a good idea since there may be local ordinances different than state in regard to transport. Also there are too many cops ignorant of the state firearm transport laws. They are on the Illinois State Police website, but don't expect every trooper to know them.

I lived in Illinois for 5 years. My son lived there for 10 years and I visited him three times a year. I will travel through Illinois (son now lives in MO) with revolver in COM safe along with laminated copy of Illinois SP Bulletin on Travel with firearms in trunk , but no way would I stay there a month with a gun. Every little community has their own laws and can make them stick. Way too easy to get locked up, those people do not like out of staters carrying guns around their state, even in your car!

Those of you from the western states that want to start screaming you need to make a 2dA stand because they can't do that would find yourselves announcing your rights through jail bars in Illinois.

When I went to my son's house in IL, I left gun home because it is way to easy to get in trouble. For RTKBA purposes I consider IL a foreign country ( USA laws don't apply!) and act accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The gun safe is fine. There are about 3 illinois statutes you must comply with. Unloaded and in a case by itself is only valid for Illinois residents with a FOID - and then in another statute it specifically states that the case must be specifically made for firearms. The exception for non-residents without FOID's transporting firearms is that they be broken down in a non-functioning state OR made not readily accessible - so you safe makes it not readily accessible and you should be just fine.

Here's the big argument thread with the actual statutes quoted:
    Traveling through Illinois - THR
    The state of Illinois does not recognize any concealed carry license for carry, but if you have one, they do consider it to be an accepted non-res FOID.
    Nobody in Illinois is supposed to transport any loaded firearm, but you can have a loaded firearm in your dwelling. You must carry in to/from the vehicle unloaded and cased.
    If you don't drive stupidly, and have your lights and seat belts on, the cops are too busy to bother you.
    Be more worried about the car thieves and burglars who will steal your gun, or any other thing of value.
    The people think the Second Amendment protects their rights;
    Government sees an obstacle to be over-come.
    NRA Life since 1966

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12