Short stay in Illinois
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Short stay in Illinois

  1. #1

    Short stay in Illinois

    In a couple of weeks I will be going to western Illinois for work for about a months stay. Then its on to Missouri for a couple of months. Since I have a permit that is good in Missouri and will end up there, do you forsee any problems with thaking my handgun along for the stay while in Illinois. I have a small gun safe in my pickup to keep my firearm locked in.

  2.   
  3. Illinois has probably the strictest gun laws of any state in the union. I was there on business a couple of months ago and my Virginia CCW permit was not recognized.

    Owning a weapon is not illegal, but how you carry it around is a different matter.

  4. #3
    I talked to a shooting buddy of mine who lives in Illinois. He said the laws are as follows: The gun must be in a container (safe, case...) designed for a firearm. The gun can not be loaded, meaning no rounds in the chamber and no loaded magazine in the gun. Ammunition and loaded magazines can be in the case with the gun (i always keep them seperate just incase I run into a A-hole cop). The gun and case must not be within reach of anyone in the car, so the best way to do it is put the case in the trunk. The case does not need to be locking, but I always have mine locked in the trunk when im driving through Illinois.
    My buddy did say that if driving through chicago and a cop finds the firearm it will not matter how you store the pistol you'll be arrested. Cops in chicago get bonuses for making weapons arrests.
    Dont take this as any legal advice, make sure you check out all the B.S. laws Illinois has before you go.

  5. Board Message (Link to original document)

    you don't wanna get it wrong in Illinois. We are the original creeps when it comes to gun laws. Hope the link works. if not, go to illinois state police website. Seriously, there are two different codes that apply, and you must comply with both.
    Last edited by chicago guy; 04-28-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: clarity

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Comp_sH00tEr24 View Post
    I talked to a shooting buddy of mine who lives in Illinois. He said the laws are as follows: The gun must be in a container (safe, case...) designed for a firearm. The gun can not be loaded, meaning no rounds in the chamber and no loaded magazine in the gun. Ammunition and loaded magazines can be in the case with the gun (i always keep them seperate just incase I run into a A-hole cop). The gun and case must not be within reach of anyone in the car, so the best way to do it is put the case in the trunk. The case does not need to be locking, but I always have mine locked in the trunk when im driving through Illinois.
    My buddy did say that if driving through chicago and a cop finds the firearm it will not matter how you store the pistol you'll be arrested. Cops in chicago get bonuses for making weapons arrests.
    Dont take this as any legal advice, make sure you check out all the B.S. laws Illinois has before you go.
    I called the Illionis state police and they told me that it would be alright as long as I keep it locked in the small safe in my truck. I dont plan on going to chicago or any other big city so I hope everything works out.

  7. #6
    The gun safe is fine. There are about 3 illinois statutes you must comply with. Unloaded and in a case by itself is only valid for Illinois residents with a FOID - and then in another statute it specifically states that the case must be specifically made for firearms. The exception for non-residents without FOID's transporting firearms is that they be broken down in a non-functioning state OR made not readily accessible - so you safe makes it not readily accessible and you should be just fine.

    Here's the big argument thread with the actual statutes quoted:
    Traveling through Illinois - THR

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by buff7mm View Post
    In a couple of weeks I will be going to western Illinois for work for about a months stay. Then its on to Missouri for a couple of months. Since I have a permit that is good in Missouri and will end up there, do you forsee any problems with thaking my handgun along for the stay while in Illinois. I have a small gun safe in my pickup to keep my firearm locked in.
    Staying for a month is different than driving through the state. Residents of that state cannot keep a firearm in their home without a permit. I would re-check and re-think this.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

  9. yeah, and I also have a friend from their who says even having a Magazine loaded is an offense. so make sure you ammo isn't in the magazine even if the mag isn't with the gun.

    but if you're going to be there for more than a passing drive through, you should really rethink the idea. maybe call the local police and ask them for what the law really says.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by chroode View Post
    Staying for a month is different than driving through the state. Residents of that state cannot keep a firearm in their home without a permit. I would re-check and re-think this.
    And what is the statue/law/public act/rule that requires that? I have lived here my entire life except my stint with the military and have not nor do I know of any such requirement. Possibly you are refering to a city/county ordinance?
    U. S. Navy [Aviation], Retired

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by buff7mm View Post
    In a couple of weeks I will be going to western Illinois for work for about a months stay. Then its on to Missouri for a couple of months. Since I have a permit that is good in Missouri and will end up there, do you forsee any problems with thaking my handgun along for the stay while in Illinois. I have a small gun safe in my pickup to keep my firearm locked in.
    During your stay take note of where you are living. If it is a hotel/motel room I suspect it would be afoul the law to have your weapon in loaded in the room with you-check with the local sheriff/states attorney to be mostly sure. If you rent a home/apartment for your stay then most likely you will be OK, but still I encourage you to check with the local Sheriff/SA/LEO's. I agree it sucks, but with Mayor Daily and the Chicago group....
    Missouri is much more friendly!
    Last edited by Popeye2347; 05-11-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    U. S. Navy [Aviation], Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast