almost arrested for "false documents" - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: almost arrested for "false documents"

If you have a valid Utah CWP, they not only have a record on you, the record is up to date. Utah runs an background check on every Resident permit holder every 30 days. They run a background check on every Non-Res holder every 90 days.
    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
    Winston Churchill

I know this has been more than a year, but I would like to know the outcome of this case.

4. Not a damn thing. I went up to the police station the next day, got my weapon and mags back without so much as an apology or a "whoops our bad".

To be honest with you, i really didn't go any further. i didn't know if it was something i could pursue legally or if it was even worth it. Rockwall TX cops are known for being "super-troopers" and all around dicks. i doubt i would have gotten very far. Needless to say, i drive safe as possible when going through Rockwall!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone641 View Post
    Not a damn thing. I went up to the police station the next day, got my weapon and mags back without so much as an apology or a "whoops our bad".

To be honest with you, i really didn't go any further. i didn't know if it was something i could pursue legally or if it was even worth it. Rockwall TX cops are known for being "super-troopers" and all around dicks. i doubt i would have gotten very far. Needless to say, i drive safe as possible when going through Rockwall!

I would avoid Rockwell on all matters if I were you.

6. those Texas state troopers are playing cowboy on the "false documents" nonsense. It would have been one thing to refuse to accept the Utah non-resident permit. It is quite another for accusing you of false documentation. They are from TEXAS, how do THEY know what a Utah permit looks like, or how to verify it?

Now, for your own safety.. always, always, ALWAYS get the carry permit from your OWN state as the priority. The Utah permit is a non-resident permit. Perhaps Utah and Texas DO have formal reciprocity, but I'd bet that is for RESIDENTS of Utah with RESIDENT Utah permits. Most states that recognise non-resident permits do that CONDITIONALLY upon the bearer having a valid permit from their state of residence.

get your OWN state's permit first. THEN work on some of the traveller's specials. I know for a fact that Kentucky will recognise ALL carry permits issued by the state of residence of the bearer. They will NOT recognise any non-resident permits.
    Your instructor should have made this more clear... and recommended you get your Texas permit first. I would say he fell short in his duty if he knew you were going to wait on the Texas permit. Your own state's resident permit is the primary documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by tionico View Post
    [F]or your own safety.. always, always, ALWAYS get the carry permit from your OWN state as the priority. The Utah permit is a non-resident permit. Perhaps Utah and Texas DO have formal reciprocity, but I'd bet that is for RESIDENTS of Utah with RESIDENT Utah permits. Most states that recognise non-resident permits do that CONDITIONALLY upon the bearer having a valid permit from their state of residence.
    Most? Hardly. According to the map at Handgunlaw.us there are six states that require one to be a resident of the state whose permits they honor. That leaves 33 states (if I counted correctly) which honor the permit whether the holder is a resident of the issuing state or not.

get your OWN state's permit first. THEN work on some of the traveller's specials. I know for a fact that Kentucky will recognize ALL carry permits issued by the state of residence of the bearer. They will NOT recognise any non-resident permits.
    If you're a Ky. resident I suggest you reread your state's laws. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf lists Kentucky as recognizing ALL other state's permits and nothing is said about the holder being a resident of the state whose permit she's carrying. Perhaps Kentucky once limited it to only residents of those states but that does not appear to be the current situation.

Your instructor should have made this more clear... and recommended you get your Texas permit first. I would say he fell short in his duty if he knew you were going to wait on the Texas permit. Your own state's resident permit is the primary documentation.
    Untrue. I know for a fact (because I was actively involved with the group that wrote it) that Missouri's law recognizing ALL other states' permits was written as it is because it was expected that some sheriffs would be jerks (to put it mildly) about issuing. The option of getting an out of state permit was deliberately written to allow residents of counties with obstinate sheriffs to be able to legally carry.

The Utah permit is recognized in Texas. It is also recognized in Ohio and West Virginia where Texas' permit is not. Texas' permit is honored in New Mexico and Kansas where Utah's is not. If the party in question has reason to travel to Ohio or West Virginia but not New Mexico or Kansas it makes more sense to spend the money on the Utah permit. There is nothing requiring anyone to first get a permit in their state of residence so long as the states in which he or she will be traveling/residing recognize that permit.

8. My advice:

After you've got your documentation lined up don't bother with the property room; go directly to the chief. He's the one with the authority to make this all go away and the obligation to make sure his officers know and obey the law! Besides that, it's always easier to drop **** on somebody from above rather than try to push it up from below them. Keep the lawyer as a back-up plan!
    Persevere, and please give us updates!

9. P.S.
    Its always a good idea to go directly to the state laws in question; many are available via website these days. Other gun oriented sites are helpful but are not "the horses mouth".

How did this story end? I have a UT permit myself and live in NC, reciprocity is in place.

Mr. Brolin of West Plains seems quite knowledgeable about these situations.

Maybe I could say that the laws change occasionally, and going to any state's website and copying the data is a smart thing to do..... and carry it in your vehicle.

Officers have no clue about reciprocal permits, and many are unsure of what the resident permit allows. (it changed a couple times)

Of course, it will probably NOT help you on the side of the road, as super troopers are convinced that they are correct and love to wield power over the surfs.

Down here in Arkansas there is a thing called, "Tell it to the judge". And I promise you, when you get to court 2 months later it can cost you $2,000 (for a good lawyer, vehicle impound fees, towing fees, missed work, travel, etc.) to be proven right in court, even when the judge chews the trooper's butt out for wasting the court's time and says "not guilty, dismissed".

Trust me, it is an exciting proposition to be released onto the city streets of North Little Rock (severely racially challeged area) in your stocking feet, no car, no money, no cell phone (it was in the car), and be 150 miles from home.

I could relate being stopped at mile marker 3 in Indiana, and surrounded by 7 (seven) officers with their hands on their guns..... why? routine traffic inspection roadblock and their complaining about my legal 35% window tint...... oh ya, Arkansas license plates, of course.

Fun Fun Fun until Daddy takes the TBird away !!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast