cw permit in virginia

Thread: cw permit in virginia

1. cw permit in virginia

hello, im new here from va and was wondering if i could still get a cw permit with two misdemeanors about six to seven years ago

3. Permit

Contact the State Police. They should be able to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by paradox2311 View Post
    hello, im new here from va and was wondering if i could still get a cw permit with two misdemeanors about six to seven years ago

4. Quote Originally Posted by paradox2311 View Post
    good question, let us know. i had one from 1988 that didn't have any affect on mine application, as far as I can tell, since they approved mine :)

Charges

It depends on what the charges are. If they are traffic laws or minor convictions (Not including alcohol, drugs or violence), it might not matter. Like another poster said, call the state police and they will be able to help you out better.

6. The Judge will decide when you file for a carry permit, depends on the crime, usually 3 years and your clear if as said not a major offense

I can't help much with VA but as others have said call whoever is in charge of issuing permits and ask them. Be truthful about it.

My CWP instructor in SC was telling about a student that had a DUI and called. The lady told him that there was a time limit and he needed to wait two months. If he had applied right then he would have been tunred down and lost his application fee. By waiing two months he was approved. I seriously doubt they are going to put you on any watch list for calling and asking.

Quote Originally Posted by paradox2311 View Post
    In most States, if the conviction is over 3 to 5 years old, you're fine. Here is the VA criteria on the VSP website.

You may have an issue getting UT if you elect to get one as UT becomes may issue if you have any convictions unless they are well aged. You will also have an issue getting ME as any misdemeanor is a prohibiting condition.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The Judge will decide when you file for a carry permit, depends on the crime, usually 3 years and your clear if as said not a major offense
    I read that on the website, but on the application, they ask you if you have any back to 5 years....

I wonder which it really is?
    Pack your bags, were going on a guilt trip!