Research question on purchases

Thread: Research question on purchases

1. Research question on purchases

Hello everyone,

I'm writing a paper analyzing gun control laws as it relates to the Virginia Tech incident (amongst other things like gun trafficking). I am trying to understand how guns can be illegally purchased in the first place, as well as how guns are legally purchased in the Northeast Region.

I've done some cursory reading of the Virginia gun laws, and it appears that residents are free to purchase handguns without any permits, but one must apply for a CCW permit in order to carry it around concealed, right? This shall-issue CCW permit for non-residents seems a little unusual to me: why would a non-resident need a CCW?

Also, I am having trouble finding anything about non-resident purchases. What happens when a non-resident goes to Virginia and tries to purchase a gun at an FFL dealer? It seems like a non-resident could successfully purchase a handgun in Virginia, on account of the fact that the CCW permits are shall-issue.

Thank you so much for any and all information/insight you fellas could give me!

Non-resident CCW permits

Quote Originally Posted by TheGraduate View Post
    ...one must apply for a CCW permit in order to carry it around concealed, right? This shall-issue CCW permit for non-residents seems a little unusual to me: why would a non-resident need a CCW?
    I'll address that question. Many people live in one state, say NC or WV and work in another state and thus need a non-resident CCW in the state they work in. Also if a person has relatives in that state, that would be another reason to have a non-resident CCW. In the end, it is upto the individual to determine whether or not they need a non-resident CCW. Where a person lives should not determine their eligability for a CCW, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGraduate View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm writing a paper analyzing gun control laws as it relates to the Virginia Tech incident (amongst other things like gun trafficking). I am trying to understand how guns can be illegally purchased in the first place, as well as how guns are legally purchased in the Northeast Region.

#1 I've done some cursory reading of the Virginia gun laws, and it appears that residents are free to purchase handguns without any permits, but one must apply for a CCW permit in order to carry it around concealed, right?

#2 This shall-issue CCW permit for non-residents seems a little unusual to me: why would a non-resident need a CCW?

#3 Also, I am having trouble finding anything about non-resident purchases. What happens when a non-resident goes to Virginia and tries to purchase a gun at an FFL dealer?

#4 It seems like a non-resident could successfully purchase a handgun in Virginia, on account of the fact that the CCW permits are shall-issue.
    Thank you so much for any and all information/insight you fellas could give me!
    #1. Correct. There is no permit required to purchase a firearm in Virginia. If the purchase is from an FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer, than a background check is required to be performed for the purchase.

#2. Don't people from other states visit Virginia? Shouldn't those other people be afforded the ability to carry a concealed firearm if they choose to?

#3. Federal law prohibits licensed gun dealers from selling handguns to out of state residents. Federal law allows out-of-state residents to purchase rifles and shotguns from out-of-state delears provided that the laws of both the purchaser's state and the state the FFL dealer is in are followed. Federal law prohibits private sales of any firearm to residents of different states.

#4. The Virginia CCW permit is a permit to carry a concealed handgun. It is NOT a permit to purchase a handgun, nor a permit to possess a handgun. In fact, anyone who is legal to own/possess a handgun may carry that handgun fully loaded, in open view, in public in Virginia with no license/permit required. They just can't conceal it in public without a CCW permit. An out-of-state resident attempting to buy a handgun at a licensed dealer in Virginia would be denied the purchase because dealers MUST verify state of residence by examining and recording the information from an identification document(s) issued by a governmental agency. Usually driver's license or state issued ID card, military members may buy handguns from dealers by presenting an active duty military ID card and copy of orders to that state.

You need to also look at Federal Law and Regulations as well as Virginia State laws. Here is a one book contains all:
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf

You specifically want to look at the 18 USC 922 and 27 CFR 478 sections.

Also, you can get many more responses from the legal subforum on THR - Powered by vBulletin and the Virginia forum section of OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! .... And there are summaries of state laws on www.handgunlaw.us.

5. "I'm writing a paper analyzing gun control laws as it relates to the Virginia Tech incident (amongst other things like gun trafficking). I am trying to understand how guns can be illegally purchased in the first place, as well as how guns are legally purchased in the Northeast Region.

I've done some cursory reading of the Virginia gun laws, and it appears that residents are free to purchase handguns without any permits, but one must apply for a CCW permit in order to carry it around concealed, right? This shall-issue CCW permit for non-residents seems a little unusual to me: why would a non-resident need a CCW? "

You may be specifically interested in whether VA Tech affected gun laws. The Virginia Citizens Defense League web site lists many pro-2nd ammendent accomplishments since then.

As far as non-resident licences are concerned; suppose I have a VA resident permit and want to vacation in Fla. I may travel through VA,NC,SC,Ga and Fla. Check the reciprosity info at Handgunlaw.us. I could only carry concealed in some of those states. But, if I ALSO had a Utah non-resident license, I could carry in all.