Quote Originally Posted by Hitides View Post
I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that if you can legally posses a handgun regardless if you are a CHP holder or Non-CHP holder you can conceal it in an unlocked container or compartment. This became effective July 1, 2010.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.
You might want to check on this one. I've talked to two different cops, one of which is supposedly "very" familiar with this section, and the key thing in it is supposedly the word secured. They both said that the firearm being in a center console that does not have a lock on the console would not be considered "secured" and you would be in violation of the law. If the loaded firearm was in your glove box and the glove box was locked then it would be considered "secured" and you would be good to go.

Best bet is to just get your concealed carry and then you're good to go no matter what. Just submitted for mine last week since I just bought my first pistol back in Feb.