Transfer of Training

Thread: Transfer of Training

Transfer of Training

Good afternoon to all!

I have a question about the required training for CCW in Va.

I currently live in Nevada, and have accepted a position at the Pentagon.

When I finally get settled in Va, change my residency and such, can I use the handgun qualification from my instructor here in Nv as proof of training (qualifying with revolver and semi)? I also have a Utah Non-Resident and training.

I mean, taking another course just means more good training to me, but I just wondered if I could expedite the process.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Carl
    Pack your bags, were going on a guilt trip!

I don't live in Virginia and I don't have a Virginia permit, but from what I know from what I've read and from an associate of mine who has a Virginia CHP, Virginia is pretty liberal about the kinds of training needed to get the permit. Being in the military, NRA training, whether done in that state or not, is fine. As long as you can show proof, you should be fine.

That is what I thought, based on what I read.

Thanks for taking the time!

Carl
    Pack your bags, were going on a guilt trip!

I've included a the link to the Virginia State Police website which should answer your question. Some counties are different and want fingerprints and others don't it just depends. It shouldn't be a big issue either way.

Virginia State Police

If your training was done by N.R.A certified instructor and the paperwork says so it should be a done deal.

Hope this helps.

Rsp,
    FTS

Quote Originally Posted by t11spanner View Post
    Good afternoon to all!

When I finally get settled in Va, change my residency and such, can I use the handgun qualification from my instructor here in Nv as proof of training (qualifying with revolver and semi)? I also have a Utah Non-Resident and training.

I mean, taking another course just means more good training to me, but I just wondered if I could expedite the process.

Carl
    My understanding is this is good as proof of training. But I'd be carefull if you take it into D.C. (it's completely illegal, but I'd risk arrest rather than get mugged by a crackhead at gunpoint). Then again, VA is one of the few "Open Carry" States, and you don't need a permit to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by t11spanner View Post
    Good afternoon to all!

Carl
    Your training has to be within 5 years. Other than that, should be OK The northeastern counties are probably the most restrictive on wanting fingerprints and such. Be careful about making sure where you can carry as well. Any private property owner can post "No weapons" if they want. Of course, schools, courthouses, and such ARE off limits. Welcome to Virginia!

VA has reciprocity with UT so you don't need a VA permit to carry in VA.