Open Carry Question

Thread: Open Carry Question

1. Open Carry Question

Hey guys,

I moved here to the greater Spokane area back in November and have just made my first Washington State handgun purchase. On the same day I also switched over drivers licsense. Next obvious step after my new lic. arives is to head to the SO to get my CP. But in the mean time is it legal for me to open carry my new handgun in a tactical leg holster when the wife and I go for walks in the hills. We do a lot of nature/wildlife photography and with certain large cats raoming our area I'd like to have the gun with escpecially during spring months. So is it legal for me to have the pistol out in the open like this. I've looked at several open carry topics and things are pretty vague, just looking for hard written law or proof on this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nine Mile

You would be fine with that. Just remember that without a permit you cannot have it loaded while in your vehicle. BTW, you may also OC a long gun as long as it is on a sling or harness. A bit more effective on those cats.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

4. Yeah it won't be loaded in the vehicle. Locked and cased. The reason for the handgun is that with all the camera equipment it's hard to lug the shotgun or the rifle with.

-NM

Being a photographer here in WA, I know what a pain it can be hauling extra lenses, filters, and tripods with me into the woods. It's still worth the effort.

I've carried my .44 with me because of cougars in an area where a friend of mine lost his dog to a cougar. In another case of hiking and camping in an area known for bears a group of friends and I took a shotgun and a couple of pistols. That particular camping trip was quite fun. We had a small herd of elk pass within 50 yards. It did get a little tense later that night. Something big came through our campsite. We are pretty sure it was a bear, but it moved on without disturbing us.

Your choice to carry in the woods here is prudent. Openly carrying is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Mile View Post
    Yeah it won't be loaded in the vehicle. Locked and cased. The reason for the handgun is that with all the camera equipment it's hard to lug the shotgun or the rifle with.

-NM
    It does not have to be locked and cased in your vehicle, just unloaded and not concealed on your person. Other than that it can be anywhere else in your vehicle, concealed or visible. Yes, open carry is legal without a license in Washington, and, on Monday, in National Parks in Washington state too!

If you leave it in your vehicle unattended, the gun must be concealed and the vehicle locked.

Stockton Springs Maine. Originally from Vinalhaven Maine

Just when you think it can't get any worse......

I just read an article on foxnews.com that the headline stated:" Gun rights advocates target California detective following facebook posts". I'm not writing this to comment on what the detective said, as despicable as it was, I'll leave that to someone who wants to comment on dumb remarks made by an individual.
    What I did not know is that in the article it states that open carry is legal in California if the weapon is UNLOADED. Come again. What kind of an idiot would want to walk around in open carry fashion with an UNLOADED gun? I mean what could you possibly do with a unloaded gun. And of all places, in a state like California. It seems to me that you may as well attach a sign to your back inviting police to harass the hell out of you, and to criminals that this will be the easiest gun you ever stole. California has some extremely stupid gun laws, but this one has to take not only the cake, but the plate as well. Again I must ask what type of individual would do something so stupid? Then the article goes on to say that a person that does this is exercising their constitutional rights. What the hell is constitutional about a state telling it's citizens that the only way you can carry a gun without having to jump through dozens of hoops, is to have it be unloaded and in plain sight? Now one final question. Do you agree with my viewpoint on this, or am I the mental fur ball that I think the people that wrote this into law are? I know I just left my self wide open for a put down, but I just had to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by dootman View Post
    Do you agree with my viewpoint on this, or am I the mental fur ball that I think the people that wrote this into law are? I know I just left my self wide open for a put down, but I just had to ask.
    The only put down I have is that this isn't really relevant to the topic, and there is already a thread running on this incident. (Just busting balls) I do agree with you, it is absolutely nonsensical. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/2nd-a...k-remarks.html
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

9. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    It does not have to be locked and cased in your vehicle, just unloaded and not concealed on your person. Other than that it can be anywhere else in your vehicle, concealed or visible. Yes, open carry is legal without a license in Washington, and, on Monday, in National Parks in Washington state too!

If you leave it in your vehicle unattended, the gun must be concealed and the vehicle locked.
    I just heard about the National parks thing this morning on NW news. I appreciate the clarification on all this guys. Thanks much.

-NM