School facilities: pick up/drop off - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: School facilities: pick up/drop off

1. Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Gun-Free School Act (18 USC 922 - Unlawful acts | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute)

(2)
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

Therefore, since federal law trumps state laws (when constitutional), it is legal to carry concealed pistols ON and IN school grounds/buildings if you possess a WA CPL.

Unless someone can show me where the RCW says a CPL holder cannot carry in a school, it's totally legal to carry in school buildings with a CPL.

Also, that means that weekend baseball, soccer, softball, football, etc. that aren't school activities, but not organized/affiliated with the school, but held on school property, you can carry open or concealed (w/ permit).
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see in the Federal statute that you quoted where it states that the Revised Code of Washington does not apply to CPL holders on school grounds. The only thing I see in the Federal statute that you quoted is that Subparagraph (A) of that specific statute does not apply to CPL holders on school grounds. Can you show us where that Federal law says that state law does not apply? No, you can't.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

3. This is how I read it anyways, the pertaining RCW exempts a CPL holder from the prohibition of carrying a firearms on school grounds for the purpose of picking up and dropping off a student.

RCW 9.41.280 (3) Subsection (1)

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools: (a) Any firearm;))
    of this section does not apply to:
    (e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

As for Federal Law, it is pertaining to effecting commerce, I do not see where the OP or the thread was discussing buying selling or transport of items for commerce.
    Then exempts those with a CPL issued by the State.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234