Open Carry a 12 gauge?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry a 12 gauge?

1. Open Carry a 12 gauge?

I often day hike out in the woods between Belfair and Seabeck (outside kitsap county) . While out there, is it okay for me to open carry my 12 gauge? A buddy of mine hunts out there and occasionally sees black bear. He recommended that I carry a gun in the off chance I jump a bear or run into any unfriendly two legged creatures. I do not have a CPL (application pending), and I don't feel comfortable OC'ing my 9mm glock, as it is a relatively underpowered round.

Basically, would I have anything to be concerned about if I were stopped by a game warded or a trooper while out there?????

Thanks for your help gentlemen...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ELGlocko View Post
    I often day hike out in the woods between Belfair and Seabeck (outside kitsap county) . While out there, is it okay for me to open carry my 12 gauge? A buddy of mine hunts out there and occasionally sees black bear. He recommended that I carry a gun in the off chance I jump a bear or run into any unfriendly two legged creatures. I do not have a CPL (application pending), and I don't feel comfortable OC'ing my 9mm glock, as it is a relatively underpowered round.

Basically, would I have anything to be concerned about if I were stopped by a game warded or a trooper while out there?????

Thanks for your help gentlemen...
    I don't know what state you are in but I think a game warden might get upset seeing you with a shotgun if your hunting season hadn't started. Then he may ask for your hunting license, which you may or may not have and that might complicate things further. Personally, I would be more worried about the two legged creatures than the bears and a 9mm can easily take care of that problem. If you walk from town to the woods carrying a shotgun, your local LEOs might get in a frenzy also.

Cool

ElGlocko, I missed the heading on the entry stating it was a Washington question. Sorry. Still, I think the same answer would apply.

5. response

yea i am in washington

also, do i need to have a sling on my gun and would it be prudent to get a hunting license?

I carry a Glock 19 and I do not consider it under powered. Buy some good SD ammo and OC it will take care of any 2 legged creatures just fine. For bears you will just piss them off even with a 12 Ga Shotgun. Plus you would be carrying around 6 pounds or more when carrying a shotgun. You can OC a shotgun but you would just be asking for trouble.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ELGlocko View Post
    yea i am in washington

also, do i need to have a sling on my gun and would it be prudent to get a hunting license?
    I think Kasper gave you some good information about the shotgun just aggravating a bear. As for a hunting license, I don't think I would be wandering around the woods without one and carrying a shotgun. Sort of gives the wrong impression, don't you think? Also, I have seen very few slings mounted on a shotgun. Down here, one keeps his shotgun in more of a ready position for shooting birds and other little critters that move fast, not on his shoulder. However, that is up to you....whatever makes you feel comfortable. Take care.

Like Oldgrunt said shotguns are usually carried ready to fire and since you are OC it it would need to be on your back with your hands away from it so as not to be brandishing it. So you will hardly ever see a shotgun with slings attached to them but I know that slings can be used on shotguns due to seeing some video on you tube with a Saigia 12 with a sling on it. For me I say the best thing to do for bears is to be alert when roaming where you know bears might be. As for shooting at a bear with a handgun I say really bad idea. A rifle is the tool used against bears but OC a rifle is just as bad as OCing a shotgun.

Black bears aren't grizzlies. A 9mm will take a black bear down. Will take more than one shot, but will do the job.

I've personally had a few up close and personal encounters with bears (black bears AND grizzlies) and would be confident in a 9mm with black bears. However, with grizzlies, i don't think i'd be 100% confident with any handgun.

If you're planning on carrying a shotgun in the woods, i don't see any issue. However, OCing a shotgun or long gun in WA state is walking a thin line. See State v. Spencer, 876 P. 2d 939.

The pertinent RCW is 9.41.270. Basically, carrying a long gun or shotgun even using a sling (as in State v. Spencer) in the city "warrants" alarm for people's safety. However, OC of a handgun is generally acceptable provided you're not doing it in a threatening manner.

IANAL, but I'd say you're better off carrying the 9mm.

Black Bears are not an issue, theyre much smaller than their Grizzly friends, and usually are not aggressive towards humans, unless theyre spooked by your presence IE didnt hear you coming, or if they had just had cubs, and you end up running into their small pack. Most of the time you can out run a black bear, and a 9mm would probably stop one with the right shots, {soft tissue areas,** I wouldnt carry a shot gun as other posters have said. It just raises too many alarms, and in the long run, you lose seconds swinging that thing off your shoulder, racking a round, acquiring your target and firing. Its easier to draw, aim, fire.
    Either way, enjoy the beautiful tinder you have in your state. Let us know how things go.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    I carry a Glock 19 and I do not consider it under powered. Buy some good SD ammo and OC it will take care of any 2 legged creatures just fine. For bears you will just piss them off even with a 12 Ga Shotgun. Plus you would be carrying around 6 pounds or more when carrying a shotgun. You can OC a shotgun but you would just be asking for trouble.
    Have to correct my statement about the shotgun if your shooting 00 buckshot or slugs and have enough in your shotgun the bear might run off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast