Helping a victim or not???? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Helping a victim or not????

I agree that you should know the situation but, not in a lot of situations will you have time to know what's going on when you come upon it. Now, this is where I'm big enough and trained to defend myself without a weapon. This thought that is running through mind isn't about shooting someone but the idea of people not stopping to help. I mean if it is a homeowner and he has someone at gunpoint then I'm sure he will yell that out to you. I mean I would if I had someone at gunpoint and another person ran up on the situation. I would ask them to call the police again. Like it has been said on this post, you never know the situation until it happens. I just think we are so worried about being sued instead of helping out the weak. It is ashame that we have to yell fire to get attention now and not help.

3. Quote Originally Posted by ASC1WBullock View Post
    It is ashame that we have to yell fire to get attention now and not help.
    Don't yell fire, either.... or you'll be prosecuted for "inducing panic".
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by ASC1WBullock View Post
    I just think we are so worried about being sued instead of helping out the weak. It is ashame that we have to yell fire to get attention now and not help.
    Speaking for myself personally - I don't give a flying ******* about getting sued. It's only money. I can always make more, and I grew up having a lot less than I do now. Which isn't saying an awful lot; no one is going to get rich off suing me.

What I DO care about is being killed, or being convicted of a crime like murder or manslaughter. If I wind up dead or incarcerated, it is cold comfort to my loved ones that I was trying to help someone else out. And it's no comfort at all if the person I was trying to help turns out to have not actually been an innocent victim, or if the person I shot WAS the victim.

That isn't saying I won't help a stranger in distress. But I damn sure will do my best to be aware of what I'm getting into, before I jump headlong in.

I have nothing further to add.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I agree with helping in a situation of someone committing a crime against someone else. I will also have to ascertain the event as it takes place; as quickly as possible. I can beyond a reasonable doubt guarantee I will dial 911. I recall a couple years ago of how a homeowner in California was sued when a burglar trying to break in, fell through skylight, and cut themselves on butcher knife left on the counter. Our country is eccentric in many ways. I react to situations as they happen.

I react to situations as they happen and I think everyone has made very valid points on this topic and I'm very thankful for everyone's opinion on this subject that has been weighing on my mind for awhile. I pray and hope I never have to be in that situation but if I have to ever draw my weapon I pray the Lord will guide me to keep my brain thinking logically.

Quote Originally Posted by ASC1WBullock View Post
    I pray and hope I never have to be in that situation but if I have to ever draw my weapon I pray the Lord will guide me to keep my brain thinking logically.
    Be sure to supplement your prayer with a good amount of training and practice. They say God helps those who help themselves. Chance favors a prepared mind.... just in case the Lord is busy.

Slag_it!

The situation you are referring to with the burglar falling through the skylight, cutting themselves on a butcher knife and suing the homeowner is from the Jim Carrey movie "Liar Liar". That movie cracks me up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234