Thinking about a move
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a move

Thinking about a move

Thinking about a move to the SEA-TAC area and was wondering how friendly it was. Does Washington allow cities and counties to impose local restrictions and bans? Is one county more or less gun friendly than another?

Thanks,
    Tim………..

Thumbs up The 2 Washington States, 1 CCW Permit State

You will find that the Greater Seattle area stretches south into Tacoma 60 miles of urban sprawl, passing south through Olympia (our state capitol city) and is bounded on the north by Canada, the south by Longview, Oregon. Seattle has plenty of jobs, a high cost of living, plenty of great things to do year round and the crime that comes with rich-pickings, but it is less all-round rough than say Tuscon or NYC, Vegas or LA. Carrying a legal concealed pistol is smart city living and using it without a very good reason will get you headlines, and either a pat on the back or hard time. Shame that the junkies & meth heads that call Seattle home don't seem to mind that part and pack plenty more than HIV and rusty needles!
    It is nice but it's urban and $uburban with some great wild wooded nature areas like the Olympic peninsular, Mt. Tantalus is a hike U will never 4-get! To the omnipresent, see it for hundreds of miles away dormant volcano Mt. Rainier and the national forests that surround that area and hug the west-side slopes of the Cascades all down the coast to Mt. St. Helens, still smoking a pack a day! Ports Angelese & Townsend are great little seaside villes, and Puget Sound was good fishing, rain and cold with 4 solid seasons. Seattle living gets more hectic and expensive the closer you get to the Space Needle, worth a look-see from the top any day, fine dining as it rotates 360' so you get the whole view if you just stay put and eat slow! Auto theft may have you taking a cab home, with Canada so close it is like leaving your car parked overnight in El Paso/Juarez, may not B there when you get back. But even with subterranean (must-see) or the Bohemian parts of the city it is still like all other big groups of culturally & morally diversified folks packed tight, plenty good areas, some bad. If you want a good paying job that is where you head, or to Microsoft :akuma: in Redmond or Boeing both sides of the Cascades with a huge factory in Everett, Seattle and one right next to Fairchild Air Force Base just west of my digs in Spokane. I-5 and U.S. 101 are your major N-S highways, if speed is the plan, stick to 75mph I-5, if beauty is your thing, try the winding and weaving coastal U.S. Hwy 101 that starts at Canada and ends at Mexico!
    Heading on I-90 over Snoqualmie pass (chains during heavy snow a must) takes you to the higher flat lands inland and towns like Yakima (apples and a U.S. Army firing center) and Wenatchee (farming), the Grand Coulee Dam (awesome!), then just deserts, scrub-lands, pastures and arable farming lands. More like Kansas 2 hours drive and it still looks the same. "R we there yet dad?"
    Then if you want property at 1/2 the price to own or rent you go east, Alpine like conditions and colder WA. The 'other' part of Washington that is SO different from the western part of the state, & where I call home. Eastern WA with Spokane the major road/rail & trade hub, at the foothills of the western-slope Rockies. The Lewis & Clark trial (or what remains of it) runs right by my home. Mt. Spokane is a honey and so is the town of Coeur d'Alene right by it (Pro: core de lane) as you cross into Northern Idaho, a 30 min drive east of Spokane, which means 'Children of the Sun' in the Spokane tribe native American language. Spokane is an island of civilization sitting at 2,700ft above Seattle and 280 miles 1-way drive west, 55 min air-hop surrounded by lakes, huge pine forests, rivers, dams, wildlife galore, mines, mills, small hamlets, mountains, hills, and valleys. I was stationed for 2 years at Ft. Lewis, when the 9th Inf Div called it home, a unit that deactivated away after the Bear sopped roaring. That huge training area hugs S. Tacoma, and in my mid 20's I enjoyed it, tons of stuff to do and I frequented the best parts of Seattle most weekends not deployed, seen some of the best concerts of my life there from the the Rolling Stones to The Police to David Bowie! 19 years later I returned here to live in Spokane, been retired 4 years coming out of CA in '01 which if I never see again will be way too soon! Sorry but to each their own version of heaven and hell. IMHO Spokane is a great town/city of 200K with lots to do but much more laid back 'n friendly than Seattle or Tacoma (Sea-Tac). Less crime, but it is still here, mostly in the valley. Good folks and a bastion of WASP living with a sprinkle of Hispanic, Afro-American and Native Americans. Active-duty & Veteran heavy and like most of WA there are military facilities or training areas all over, I think I hit every one!
    Vet Hospitals at Seattle (overworked mess) and Spokane (nice set up) with a new facility just opened in Wenatchee (very nice!). When U have travelled as much as I have c/o an Army career, there has to be something very special about the place you finally get to call home, I've blown thru 100's of U.S. towns and cities, lived in some for 2-4 years yet I wouldn't swap a free home and 5 acres of land for what I have here in the place I finally moved into my retirement middle years and call it home with great pride! :Love:
    As far as I know this URL will tell you all there is to know about concealed carry in the State:
    http://search.leg.wa.gov/wslrcw/RCW%...%20chapter.htm
    USA Carry also has an up to date link to the same which you should try 1st as it summarizes the general intent, the link I posted breaks each part down to it's atomic particle RCW subsections.
    We have one CCW law RCW 9.41.070 for the entire State. It's a 'Stand your ground' and 'no open carry' (brandishing!) place with all the normal no carry nuthin zones: bars, schools/campuses, federal land, jails & courts to name but a few you better know by rote before you put your (nonrefundable if U don't rate one of the 700K CCW permits already issued State-wide). Head to the local county/city court houses early, bring $60 cash is best, your application and I.D. which should be WA or you are looking at getting an out of state version and a return trip to convert it over. Get a WA drivers license or the lease/lien on your digs and that works. You'll get a partial (thumb, forefinger) printing done by a biometric-scanner and a mug-shot :huh: which does not show up on your card-stock permit as it may in other states with their plastic bar-coded hi-tech versions. You don't take any tests nor do you have to take/have training courses. Reciprocity by state is a link on USA Carry and a long search on Google! Just wait <30 days for an NIC to be run & it comes back to your home via normal U.S. mail. Please know what makes you eligible for one or don't even mess with applying for one until you do. 'Forgetting' a disqualifier equates to the State doing much more than keeping your $60! It's good for 5 years which you better follow to the day a renewal is a freebie mail-in renewal, but you get no warning (even by snail mail) that it will soon expire/has expired ='s U go thru a new 1st time issue run again. No copies are legal copies and you do not give yours to anyone but a LEO if they want to see it, saying 'No!' is not a very smart next move! You do not get duplicates, just replacements for lost cards, 1 for your CCW 'fanny-pack' and 1 for your wallet, which would be nice but too bad! Fancy CC tin badges with your CC # on them look sharp in catalogs (www.nles.com ) but are not worth the C-note for the engraving and no WA State LEO would even accept it as proof of anything but you wasted your time and $'s on bravado and BS. "We don't need no stinking BAHDGES!!!!"" :Poep2:
    This is WA CCW Gospel: http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsea...=321173713&p=1
    When packing you better be clean & sober and up-front with 5-OH. WA is not a 'must-tell without being asked' law/your duty to inform if U R carrying, but a very smart one to inform U R packing if a LEO pulls you over, and a big mistake to lie as they have already run your plates and that WILL be one of their 1st questions. You can laminate it and you better have it with you whenever you CC, or you lose a lot more than the right to CC!
    If you want to know more about the state than guns, tag this as a point of reference for everything RCW (laws) else:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/ Revised Code of Washington
    Hope you enjoy life in this state, I do on both side of the Cascades, but I prefer the beauty that is Spokane than the busy-bee expensive life of Sea-Tac, the name of the airport but in reality the extent that both cities expanded and melded into one giant strip of humanity in just 3 decades. I hope my 10 years of combined living here experience helps you make a good move to find out for yourself if WA is your kind of CC pistol friendly/owner-smart state......and which part suit your life-style/needs.
    Regards,

Canis-Lupus :bier:

Canis is right..the Spokane area is really nice and I would not hesitate to live there..my brother lives in Newport abt 35 miles north of Spokane and everytime I visit, I just marvel at the area...don't think you can go wrong living there..what really inpresses me is that you do not need an AC unit to cool your house in the summer time, temps are just right! Yellow jackets are a plenty tho so be alert.
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

Well

I lived up north around Bellingham for a year and really liked it. Moved down and lived in Silverdale/Bremerton for about 8 months and it was okay there as well. Gun clubs and ranges in both areas with fair to good facilities. The annual fees were reasonable, good crowd of folks and there were plenty of places to buy ammo and guns. There were a couple of good gun shows I went to down south of Seattle a couple of tmies. Plenty of Wal-Marts, Sportsmen's Warehouses and such.

I carried in both Bellingham and Bremerton full-time except at work (Naval shipyard and an employer with a restrcition for employees). Several times up in the Bellingham area I was around police officers who knew I carried and always found them supportive. Some citizens are/were less so though.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

6. Ditto Canis-Lupus remarks

I have a home just north of Spokane great area very gun friendly.

SEATAC not so much. I refer to the area as the Peoples Republic of King County. Left wing liberal heaven. Plus it rains a lot over that way, to the east we have a drier colder climate my wife tells me we had a near reccord snowfall this year. I prefer snow to rain. Many Vets in the area to, which I like.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

Cool Did I Mention Anything about SNOW?

Got all long-winded about the positives of Spokane, but if you do not like 4 solid seasons then stay away! In summer it is normally dry and hot as in hi-90's to 100's daily late May - mid-Sep, spring is gorgeous but thinks it's still winter some days, fall is golden brown and winter can be a right brutal *****. We had the worst winter in 18 years which culminated in 24" of snow dumped on Spokane in just 24 hours on 28 Jan 08. Not even the snow plows could keep up with the blizzard conditions, power outs and almost everything closed, only snow-cats moving, with roofs collapsing under the weight of tons of snow, and outlying communities cut off for a week from any land access. This attached thumb is a shot of my friend's 20ft high front yard tree, with only 4 feet sticking out of the 16 feet of snow under & around it!!! Temps didn't break freezing for most of January and 1/2 of February, yesterday the 1st day of Spring we had a snow-storm that blew thru and dropped 2" which melted by noon! In Spokane washing your car Nov-Mar is like pissing into the wind during winter, you wash it, 30 feet out of the auto-washer you will drive thru a mud/slush/ice mess and it will look as dirty as it was B 4 U started! Sea-Tac (RepubliK of King County, way descriptive) could not hack even our mildest winters without them calling out the NG's! They get 1 season. Cold & wet and warm and wet :-) Thanks to the USA Carry partons who added their up-beat takes on my (gets chilly) home town.
    Regards,

Canis-Lupus :icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by tcotariu View Post
    Does Washington allow cities and counties to impose local restrictions and bans?
    Tim

The simple answer to your question is - NO.

RCW 9.41.290
    State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

We welcome you to the area but I think you can do better than Seatac, busy place and bad traffic.

To correct Canis Lupus. Washington IS a "open carry" state for firearms. Meaning a person can carry a pistol in an exposed holster without the need for a permit unless there is something that prohibits it.

A Washington Gun Rights Pamphlet was created and is well worth reading and keeping at hand.
    http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/dow...s_Pamphlet.pdf

Well, Sea-Tac would not be my first choice as I prefer to be in an area where I have some “space”. Unfortunately I am in the information Technologies field and that is the best place in Washington to look for work. I am hoping to have something before the end of summer.

Thanks for all the input.

My only bias against WA

WA isn't a class 3 state which means you cannot own NFA firearms including short barrelled rifles or shotguns. If you can deal with that, then WA isn't a bad State to live considering they have no State income tax and are shall issue. Keep in mind that once you become a WA resident, you must have a WA CPL you can not carry in WA with a reciprocal CCW.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast