Relocating to WA
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Relocating to WA

  1. #1

    Relocating to WA

    I have been lurking around the forums here for some time and have gained a lot of useful info from everyone here. I have been searching for an answer to a question and have not seen a situation come up similar to mine and was hoping somebody would have some insight.

    I will be relocating to WA from CA in a few weeks and am excited to be in a state that recognizes the constitution. I will be switching my DL over to a WA state DL within a day or so of arriving. I would like to apply for my CPL as soon as I receive the DL in the mail. My question is: Although I will have a WA state DL in hand, would I still be subject to the 60 waiting period as I will not have been a resident for the previous 90 days?

    On another note, anyone have experience with the Renton Fish & Game Club? That will be the closest range to where I will be and may like to join.

    Thanks in advance for all the help!

  3. Welcome to WA. The requirement is 90 days as a resident. It is a shall issue state so it's pretty straight forward

    Sent using 2 cans and string

  4. #3
    RCW 9.41.070
    Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.

    (1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

    The Renton Fish and Game Club is good. It's been awhile since I've been there. Welcome to Washington!
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

  5. WA State Licensing: Firearms I hope this help. Take care!!
    "Lord make me fast & accurate. Let my aim be true & my hands faster, than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over those that wish to do harm to me & mine.....Amen!!!"

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Psychologically enhanced / E of Narrows
    Here is an advance welcome to Washington!
    I don't think you will have a problem with getting your CPL.
    In Washington State, you can apply for and be issued a Non-Resident CPL even before you get your Washington address or DL, it is just that the background check will take up to 60 days rather than 30. But once you have your WA/DL in hand you can apply for your CPL. It does not say that you can not use the paper temporary DL that will be issued when you switch over, so you may be able to get your CPL right away.
    I find it strange that the info says if you do not have a WA/DL or ID you have to prove you have resided in the state for 90 days. LOL If you are going to be a resident. You are supposed to get a DL or ID within 90 days.. LOL Sounds like a catch 22.
    Here is a link to the information about applying.
    WA State Licensing: How to get your license - Concealed Pistol License

  7. "Lord make me fast & accurate. Let my aim be true & my hands faster, than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over those that wish to do harm to me & mine.....Amen!!!"

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Blog Entries
    It's an or not an and. You must be a resident of the state for the previous consecutive 90 days however if u don't have your wa dl u can apply for a non-resident card, also u can apply anyway with your wa dl for a cpl anyway it's up to the local jurisdiction however wether they make u wait the full 90 days. They have to notify you within 60 if your a non resident or don't have a wa dl

    Most issuing authorities don't have any issues giving them out though so long as your eligible

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    I moved to the Tri Cities 07/14/2011. Applied and received my DL 7/28/2011. Applied and received my CCP 8/11/11. I had to gather some receipts and stuff to figure out the timing, but those are pretty accurate approximations.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    washington state
    It took only a month after I moved to Washington to recieve my CPL. And HI to Firefighterchen, long time no see.

  11. I relocated to eastern Washington 3 years ago from California as well. A few months ago I got my concealed pistol permit in my city of Pasco. I went in Friday morning and it was ready the next Wednesday. The police department told me they were the fastest in the state. I have friends in neighboring towns who had to wait between 30 days or more. Welcome to Washington!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts