Brandishing Legality? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Brandishing Legality?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post
    In Massachusetts, if you have on a coat or shirt, you stretch or bend to retreive something and your weapon is exposed, even partially, you can lose your license to carry, for "unsuitability" purpose.

    Yes this has happened in Massachusetts. Where a guy coat was blown aside by the wind and his weapon was seen, lost his LTC from his chief.
    The more I hear about this godforsaken place, the less and less I like it.
    Last edited by lukem; 10-12-2008 at 11:37 AM.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowCajun View Post
    Thanks, I didn't realized Washington was Open Carry. I've just never considered carrying in the open before, to me that defeats the purpose of criminals being unsure who's carrying or not! I figure if a criminal can see my weapon then that would be reason enough to come up behind me and bop me in the head to grab my weapon, but if it's not visible and they don't know I have it, then that would mean they'd have to bop a whole crowd full of people in the head see if they're safe or not and that wouldn't work. :-)

    SnowCajun
    That is one of the many misconceptions about open carry perpetuated by those with no knowledge or experience with open carry. Extensive research found virtually no evidence of that happening. Apparently you have a greater chance of a satellite falling out of the sky and hitting you in the head than being a victim of a gun grab. In fact convicted criminals in multiple surveys have said the sight of an armed citizens has compelled them to not commit the crime they intended on committing

    My thought is that open carry is not about gaining favor some new mode of carry or establishing a new tradition. Rather it is about taking back ground we have lost. There was a time not so long ago when open carry was not frowned upon any more than we frown upon giggling pubescent girls and testosterone driven males operating two ton weapons of mass destruction because open carry was just as common as teenage drivers are today. It was a given that most people open carrying were average normal law abiding citizens because they were. My thought is because out of politeness and consideration for the sensibilities of others, fewer per capita gun owners carried openly two things have resulted. One the anti self defense fanatics have taken a kindness as a weakness and now expect that we bow down to their unreasonable fears. What was once a courtesy is now an expectation. Even the courts have ruled that the fear reaction is unreasonable. Two because it is now an uncommon sight many including those of us who carry misinterpret the motives of those that open carry. Often alarmed by what was once a commonly accepted practice. In effect by not openly carrying we encourage some of the negative fear responses to all gun carry. So, my thought is if more people openly carried it would once again become a common sight and in time generate more acceptance of all kinds of carry

    To often the Constitution is cited as giving us the right to bear arms. That is not the case rather it is God or nature if you prefer that has granted us life and the inalienable right to defend that life. The Constitution simply protects that right, as does the Supreme Court. People that carry guns are the same people who have always carried guns in this nation as a whole law abiding men and women who have accepted the responsibility for their own well being and safety. After all who does that responsibility fall on? Not the police. The supreme court has repeatedly ruled that the police are under no obligation to assure anyones safety or well being. It is their job to enforce the law to apprehend the criminal AFTER they have committed a crime. The police's job begins after you have been raped robber maimed or murdered. Not before. Even if it were their responsibility why should they take it upon themselves to do for us what we would not do for ourselves? Armed law abiding citizens have always been the first line of defense against criminal predators. Disarming law abiding citizens does nothing other than provide the criminal predator with defenseless victims. Proof of that fact is painfully obvious by simply noting that every single mass murder in the past decade has been committed in so called "Gun Free Zones". It does not take a genus to understand why. Open carry of a gun helps assure the safety of every person there because criminals want victims not armed opponents. A far greater man than I said it alot better

    Thomas Jefferson: "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined or determined to commit crimes. Such laws only make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assassins; they serve to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (1764 Letter and speech from T. Jefferson quoting with approval an essay by Cesare Beccari)

    The next time you see someone openly carrying a fire arm consider thanking them for accepting the responsibility of defending their own lives and the lives around them. For doing their part in making the community just a little bit safer for us all.
    Last edited by LongRider; 09-24-2008 at 01:57 AM.
    Those who would, deny, require permit, qualification, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

  4. #13
    In Virginia, the gun has to be out and held in your hand. In a holster, it's not brandishing.
    Springfield Loaded Custom Champion
    RIA 1911A1 Duo-Tone Tactical
    XD40 Sub-Compact
    Ruger 22/45
    Browning Baby 6.35mm
    Ruger K10/22
    Marlin 336w 30-30
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty & The Pursuit Of Those Against It

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by MP3Mogul View Post
    In Virginia, the gun has to be out and held in your hand. In a holster, it's not brandishing.
    That's the way it should be everywhere; the one exception would be if a person is wearing an outergarment and moves it to the side to display it menacingly to someone, in order to intimidate them. I've seen that done and that is clearly an act of brandishing. Other than that, anyone carrying a holstered weapon, openly or concealed, accidentally exposed or not, who is not displaying their holstered weapon with the intent to intimidate, should not be subject to any brandishing charge.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    112
    Had a meeting today actually with the seattle cops and they are perfectly find with people carring out in the open per this Sgt i talked to today
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post
    In Massachusetts, if you have on a coat or shirt, you stretch or bend to retreive something and your weapon is exposed, even partially, you can lose your license to carry, for "unsuitability" purpose.

    Yes this has happened in Massachusetts. Where a guy coat was blown aside by the wind and his weapon was seen, lost his LTC from his chief.
    Gee, why does this not surprise me?

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    If what you say will be allowed by the LEO's here (Spokane) I sure would like some reference laws or anything solid that trust me would make my life of secretly carrying a whole lot less hassles, Sea-Tac, man that's the very last place in WA I thought that would come out of! I hope that LEO training mind-set migrates east!
    Thanks for the answer.

    Canis-Lupus
    I am confused are you saying that you are discounting that WA is an open carry state? Or that the myriad of accounts of open carry in WA state on this forum are untrue or lack credibility? Or are you saying that the RCW and case law available here on this forum regarding open carry are untrue?
    If you not, than it should be crystal clear that Washington is an open carry state and that open carry is a common occurrence in Washington state. So exactly what are you asking for.
    Those who would, deny, require permit, qualification, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

  9. #18

    Wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    Simple task, I ask you to take a walk thru the streets of downtown Spokane on a busy Saturday afternoon, with your weapon(s) clearly visible to all, obey the gun-free zones, and report back to USA Carry on how it went. That is not much to ask. I'd love some badge #'s of any LEO's who impede your right to open carry your weapon(s).
    WRONG
    I asked a simple civil question to clarify your question, so I could provide an response, to your request. Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were not insisting that someone do you a favor as if they were obligated to do so. A favor due to your ignorance and misinterpretation of the laws of the state you live in has you thinking they would be violating the law to do you that favor.
    Obviously from your verbose, rude, ignorant, uninformed, underlined, bolded, colored, giant lettered, generally ridiculous, obnoxious, nonsensical rant I was wrong.
    In response to your demand that I do you a favor the answer is NO. I DO NOT owe you anything. You attitude of entitlement is repugnant. I find this culture of people with their hands out acting as if the world owes them something abhorrent and disgusting. No I will not spend my money on gas to drive to Spokane and back for you. I DO NOT owe you anything contrary to what you think. No I will not waste my time driving to Spokane for you. I have no obligation to do so. No I will not walk through the streets of Spokane open carrying with you. I have no desire to waste any time with you. Nor do I need to prove anything to anyone especially not you. Anyone who thinks that they are entitled to favors from me are unworthy of my company.
    How is it that people are so lazy that they have the nerve to demand others to do for them what they can do for themselves, as if they the world owes them something.
    Simply typing the words "open carry gun washington state" in Google would have provided these results

    1. Gun laws in the United States (by state) - Wikipedia, the free ...

      Open carry is defined as the gun's true nature is not "hidden from common ... As a general rule, a person may legally open carry in Washington State in any ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Laws_By_State_In_The_United_States - 251k - Cached - Similar pages
    2. Status of open carry in Washington State. - Washington - Stories ...

      Washington State is for all intents and purposes an open carry state. ... of the bill as a "gun control" bill, which it was not according to the sponsor. ...
      opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/16.html - 43k - Cached - Similar pages
    3. Washington Times - Gun rights advocates defend open-carry law

      But many gun rights advocates, state lawmakers and residents point out that it's much ... the Potomac into Virginia anymore because of the open-carry law. ...
      www.washingtontimes.com/news/2004/jul/19/20040719-102254-3826r/ - 87k - Cached - Similar pages
    4. [PDF] Washington Gun Rights

      File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
      Washington is an "open carry" state for firearms. This. means a person may carry a firearm in ... Washington Gun. Rights. ...all power is inherent in the ...
      www.impsec.org/~jhardin/gunstuff/writings/Washington%20Gun%20Rights%20Pamphlet.pdf - Similar pages
    5. Open carry gun laws to Texas? : News : KVII

      Jun 23, 2008 ... Open Carry is a great idea as long as the person carrying the weapon .... is Washington D.C., which has had the most stringent gun control ...
      Open carry gun laws to Texas? : News : KVII - 73k - Cached - Similar pages
    6. Nation & World | Packing in public: Owners not gun-shy | Seattle ...

      Jun 8, 2008 ... While it's legal to openly carry a firearm in Washington, state ... Called open- carry by its supporters, the movement has attracted ...
      seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2004464820_opencarry08.html - 50k - Cached - Similar pages
    The text formating in the quote is Google's not mine. The very first link not only has the laws but and excellent explanation of Washington states gun laws and their history.
    The second link is the forum OpenCarry.Org dedicated to open carry across the United States with over 10,000 members. It has a segment dedicated to Washington State that has hundreds of accounts of open carry in Washington state. An archive with the training bulletins used to train police officers in most major police departments in Washington, open carry information pamphlets, brochures Discussion of specific applicable laws, case laws, Washington state Supreme Courts rulings and interpretation of those laws and cases. Members include Lonnie Wilson mentioned in the first link, pro open carry activists, lawyers, LEO, politicians and law abiding private citizens that open carry all across Washington State.
    I have shared this NOT because I owe you the information nor because you are entitled to it, nor because you are worthy of my time and effort. Rather you're getting the information is a by product of my hoping to assist other polite civil members who are more than worthy of any effort I may make to assist them. As well as a by product of my showing you that your interpretation of Washington States Laws about open carry law is
    WRONG
    Those who would, deny, require permit, qualification, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

  10. I know it is legal to open carry in WA I do so going to and from the place I go shooting however that is a 5 minute ride in my truck to a place even further out in the woods than I am. I also go over to opencarry.org from time to time and I am intrigued by the stories from those bold enough to open carry in some down right hostile areas like Seattle. As to Spokane I live close by but when ever I go into the city I don't open carry I always CC. I guess at my age I feel I don't need to deal with any extra BS. Part of the reason open carry is having a hard time is due to the number of current residents who came from places where the mere sight of a gun causes hysteria, one I may mention here is California. Many WA residents have a thinly disguised disgust for recent arrivals from that state. SEattle even recruited a huge number of new LEO's from New York and they have a hard time beleiveing some of our laws. I mention that to paint a picture not to disparage anyone. I have seen a few laws change in the short time I have lived here rules were enacted about dogs being on a leash and burning yard debris etc. So the feeling from long time residents is far different from the changeing demographics currently shaping politics and policies here and now. Times change,
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gunny View Post
    I know it is legal to open carry in WA I do so going to and from the place I go shooting however that is a 5 minute ride in my truck to a place even further out in the woods than I am. I also go over to opencarry.org from time to time and I am intrigued by the stories from those bold enough to open carry in some down right hostile areas like Seattle. As to Spokane I live close by but when ever I go into the city I don't open carry I always CC. I guess at my age I feel I don't need to deal with any extra BS. Part of the reason open carry is having a hard time is due to the number of current residents who came from places where the mere sight of a gun causes hysteria, one I may mention here is California. Many WA residents have a thinly disguised disgust for recent arrivals from that state. Seattle even recruited a huge number of new LEO's from New York and they have a hard time beleiveing some of our laws. I mention that to paint a picture not to disparage anyone. I have seen a few laws change in the short time I have lived here rules were enacted about dogs being on a leash and burning yard debris etc. So the feeling from long time residents is far different from the changeing demographics currently shaping politics and policies here and now. Times change,
    Great post Gunny I agree OC can make for a long tedious day and times are changing. As I said in my original post in this thread there was a time that OC was as common as teenage drivers are today. If I am in an area where OC may be an issue I tend to limit OCing to days that I have a higher tolerance for BS. Willing to take the time to deal with the ignorant and uninformed about the law. That said I do feel some degree of obligation to OC. Help make it a common acceptable sight and help assure that it is not a right that we lose. So when I OC I know I must present a good image be calm respectful courteous and polite no matter how the party I am dealing with acts. Last thing we need is someone to exacerbate peoples fears by providing an image of a hostile angry redneck packin heat on his hip. Opencarry.org does a great job by providing the OC brochure and the training bulletins. It helps put a end to the whole argument when I can present the officer with his CO's written statement regarding departmental policy about open carry. The brochure is helpful in dealing with citizens and LEO as well. It is well thought out and informative. Most times those conversations end with a good feeling for all involved. Actually most times I OC I get positive feedback. I think the pendulum is starting to swing in our favor and will continue to do so as long as we do our part. The day I am not up to it I CC, not hard to do in this state as cold and wet as it is
    Last edited by LongRider; 10-12-2008 at 11:42 AM.
    Those who would, deny, require permit, qualification, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast