Brandishing Legality? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Brandishing Legality?

Canis-Lupus,
    Please tell me you aren't using the link you posted as evidence of Spokane's prejudice against open carry!?! I will grant you, the three armed men in the article were all arrested, but the first was arrested for allegedly using a gun in an assault, the second for waving a gun around, and the third for threatening a woman with his gun. I carry a gun to protect myself from people like the ones in your article!

I can tell you with 99% certainty that the reason you did not find an article describing "Fella walking down street with OC gun not brandishing or causing panic and after questioning was sent on his way." is because THERE IS NOTHING TO REPORT. That would be like writing a report that says, "Fella was driving down the road, obeying the speed limit." or "Lady purchased merchandise from store and paid in full." Why would you write a report about something completely legal?

Again, I think you need to take a close look at the actual laws of Washington state, not some paranoid misinterpretation of them. I promise, on the whole, the police are NOT out to "get" gun owners. They ARE gun owners, remember?
    Husky Girl

Visit the Washington forum on opencarry.org and you'll see that open carry is not only legal, but you'll also see that the members are discussing their experiences with it, both pleasant and unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky Girl View Post
    ....Again, I think you need to take a close look at the actual laws of Washington state, not some paranoid misinterpretation of them. I promise, on the whole, the police are NOT out to "get" gun owners. They ARE gun owners, remember?

On what do you base this statement? Do officers in WA carry their own personal firearms for duty? All of the LE agencies I've worked with issue duty firearms to their officers. Supplimental or off-duty firearms are allowed, and these are often personally owned. Just because a LEO is carrying a firearm, doesn't necessarily mean that they own it.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Sorry, I still figuring out this message board thing. I was trying to politely reply to Canis-Lupus, not get onto your case. Sorry no one took you up on your bet :) Ignorance and fear-mongering drives me crazy and only reinforces the misconception that gun-owners are all paranoid constitutionalists that hate law enforcement and the government.
    Was just giving you a hard time. Teasing ya know, just gotta do it can't help myself especially when my meds are low. I think Canis is coming around just having a hard time getting his head wrapped around it. After believing the exact opposite is true for so long. My wife almost quit carrying when the one LEO drew down on her finger on the trigger because he saw her gun sitting in the car, even though we had notified him. So I get it.

UW is in the process of appointing a new Police Chief and one of the candidates is a Captain in my former dept. I'm hoping I can use my connections to get an exception made, but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, I am keeping my back to the wall and my eyes wide open.
    As I recall you use public transportation so leaving a gun in the car is not an option. Have you considered a non lethal weapon? Seems to me that with your baton training a cane would be an excellent weapon. More than capable of giving a good beat down in seconds. Just be sure to select a weapons cane not some pretty cedar walking stick
    Those who would, deny, require permit, qualification, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    officers in WA carry their own personal firearms for duty?
    Depends of what PD you are talking about. I am not sure what the exact policy is but you see a wide variety of handguns being carried. Including some very nice custom 1911. Couple of old guys still carry revolvers. So either they are carrying their own or they are given a budget to get a gun.
    Those who would, deny, require permit, qualification, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

You are both correct (as far as I know). In the departments I am familiar with, officers are issued department firearms, but they are also allowed to qualify with their personally-owned firearms and carry them as back-up or undercover guns. Even if they don't technically own their department-issued guns, they still take them home every day, clean them, and care for them (supposedly). All of the guys I know consider their department guns to be "their" guns. I mean, technically, my boyfriend's name is the only one on the deed to our house, but I live here, I clean the house, I do regular maintenance, I've painted the walls, etc. It's "my" house, whether I legally own it or not. I think the comparison is the same for officers. While they may not technically own their department-issued gun, that's the item they depend on to save their lives. It's easy to get attached to something like that. Add to that the fact that I've never met a cop who had only his department issued firearms, and I think it's a fairly safe bet to refer to cops as "gun-owners."

The point I was really trying to make is that there is no reason to have such an adversarial point of view of law enforcement. I've run into this time and again, the more involved I get with other gun-owners/supporters. When I began school, I found an organization called "Students for Concealed Carry" and I was thrilled. Here would be a bunch of students like me - people who wanted to be responsible for their own welfare, who didn't want to depend on others to save them from the worst humanity throws out there. So I contacted the president of this group and asked him to meet me for coffee. After a bit of discussion, I realized that he wasn't interested in personal responsibility, he wanted to make a statement! He recounted incident after incident where he had confrontations with campus police, where he had demanded to speak to supervisors and shoved print-outs of laws and rights in their faces. When I asked him what he had done to improve his group's relationship with PD, he said he had contacted a Captain to complain about several officers and that the Captain had agreed to provide more training to his men.

I just have a really hard time with this sort of "us against them" mentality. I guess the fact that I know so many police officers, and count them among my close friends, probably gives me a different perspective than most, but I can't imagine that there are that many "bad" cops out there that police should really have this reputation as constantly stomping on the rights of individuals. When I told my partners that I was going back to school, every one of them expressed concern over my safety. They asked if I would still carry when I went to school. When I said it was against University Policy, they suggested that it only mattered if I got caught, and wouldn't it be better to be expelled than dead? Does this sound like the kind of people that want to take away someone's right to carry a gun?

In so many of these confrontational incidents, I find that the non-law enforcement individual is usually the one who starts out with a misconception about the police, not the other way around. Now, before everyone jumps on me - yes, I know some cops will draw on you if you are carrying, I know some police will overreact to open carry. I'm not trying to say they won't, all I'm trying to say is if we look at things from their perspective, and we maybe try to find what we have in common with the police rather than what separates us from them, maybe we could have a more mutually beneficial relationship. Wouldn't it be great if the police felt comfortable enough to publically endorse groups like this one? Wouldn't it be nice if we could have police officers and private gun-owners working together to educate the public on laws and gun safety?

I know I sound like an idealist, and I am, but it's just something to think about the next time you see a police officer. Make a new friend!
    Husky Girl

8. Quote Originally Posted by MP3Mogul View Post
    In Virginia, the gun has to be out and held in your hand. In a holster, it's not brandishing.
    Can you further explain on this ?

9. Brandishing Legality

Thank you, Husky Girl for cogent, on the spot posts. This post will be a compendium of things about different things.
    First is the question of whether officers carry their own weapons. The department I worked for in Arizona, the deputies carried their own weapons the entire time I worked there. We had to carry .38/.357 revolvers from an approved list and had to be inspected by the department armorer. Later we were allowed to carry semiauto pistols, for which we had to purchase holsters and other gear. After I left the department, the department put everyone through training and issued Beretta 92s. Back-up weapons were always allowed, but had to pass inspection. Arizona was always an Open Carry state, and when they put in the CCW laws, you were required to inform any police officer you had contact with that you had a permit and were carrying. One hint, never blurt out, "I have a gun." Very sticky situation. I was helping a friend locate some strange .38 ammo for an old French revolver (unsuccessfully) and the Sporting Goods manager at the Lacey WalMart made the statement that it was illegal to carry a weapon in Washington unless you had a permit. I ran off a copy of the applicable law, and opened his eyes to the fact that Washington is an Open Carry state.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

I almost alway OC here in WA, and have never had a negative incident. I do have a CPL also so I don't have to remove and unload when I get in the car. Also I invite you all to come to the 2nd Amendment Rally at the Olympia State Capital on April 30th at 10am. Again go to OCDO web site:
    2nd Amendment Rally 2011

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I was helping a friend locate some strange .38 ammo for an old French revolver (unsuccessfully) and the Sporting Goods manager at the Lacey WalMart made the statement that it was illegal to carry a weapon in Washington unless you had a permit. I ran off a copy of the applicable law, and opened his eyes to the fact that Washington is an Open Carry state.
    Suprised to hear that, I live about 300 feet away from that Walmart and OC in there all the time. An employee in sporting goods once stopped me, but only to ask if it was a Ruger cause it looked like his.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast