Why does Washington not have reciprocity with Oregon? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why does Washington not have reciprocity with Oregon?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Not sure where the anti 2A comes in...
    Having to pay for government approved training, pay for a government background check, and pay for the government's permission to bear arms is pretty anti-2A to me....
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by iKarith View Post
    Where else? Portland and Eugene. :)
    I lived in Portland for 17 years, and Eugene for 3 years. Portland I can understand, Eugene was an awesome firearms friendly city for me.

I now live in Washington...where the permission infringement is much less of an infringement than Oregon's training requirement...but I can't own half the firearms my family and friends do back in Oregon.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Having to pay for government approved training, pay for a government background check, and pay for the government's permission to bear arms is pretty anti-2A to me....
    I agree the permit system is anti 2A...in both Washington and Oregon...but Oregon has much more freedom of firearm ownership than Washington. My family and friends can't bring their firearms to my home to go shooting because they are illegal here (mostly sbr).

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. The Mass attorney general has a list of approved firearms we can purchase. There are a lot of guns we can't buy. Pretty sad. We are a may issue state, no guarantees.

Exclamation I finally had my Oregon CHL appointment today.

Took my Oregon/Utah class way back in April but was told by the Sheriff's Department that they would not accept any application until the actual appointment time. OK when is the next appointment? 20 weeks! So I have been patiently waiting for nearly five months. Got my Utah permit over 9 weeks ago and have been carrying in Washington, especially Spokane, but have to disarm at the border every time. Heck if I go through Portland I have to take all of the rounds out of my magazines!

So I finally had my Oregon CHL appointment today. Course certificate, 2 picture IDs, birth certificate, and application with "two character references". Got finger printed, picture taken and wrote a check. Because of my unique name my 4473 checks come back clean in 30 seconds so I was hoping to get my CHL in hand within 30 days. The young lady tells me that they usually run 45 days, but because they have been so busy expect to wait 90 days. WTH? ORS 166.292 requires that Sheriff offices process your application in 45 days. They already cheated by not accepting it for 140 days. My wife said that she could have had a baby in the time it takes to get a CHL here in our county!

7. I went to Multnomah County Oregon to get mines and it took about 30 days or less to get it.

If I could go to another county I would, but you have to apply in your county of residence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Burkhardt View Post
    If I could go to another county I would, but you have to apply in your county of residence.
    You applied for a resident permit? Or out of state permit?

Resident permit.

Quote Originally Posted by gcowboym View Post
    Well you have a point, No required class for Washington CPL as opposed to a attending a approved class, showing proof of that class when applying for a Oregon CHL. You are also probably right about the money... I imagine there is quite a cash flow for CPL's,CHL's, CFP's and what ever they call their licenses per states... No wonder the states can't agree on reciprocity they can't agree on what to call their licenses! :)
    Yeah, but the "required class" can be done in your underwear at your computer. You read some basic common sense stuff that anyone would know before buying a gun in the first place (at least we'd hope) and the four "rules", and the most basic elements of Oregon gun laws. It takes about 20 minutes to read the material. And about five minutes to answer the 20 true/false questions. And then you've taken a basic pistol safety course. Print out your certificate from the website and submit it with your application for an Oregon CHL.

It's a lame extra hoop to jump, and all it guarantees is that you have an IQ over 90 and an extra $30-40 to spend.

You could take more. You should take more. But that satisfies Oregon's "education" requirement.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast