Why does Washington not have reciprocity with Oregon?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Washington not have reciprocity with Oregon?

Why does Washington not have reciprocity with Oregon?

9.41.070 << 9.41.073 >> 9.41.075

RCW 9.41.073
    Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

[2004 c 148 § 1.]

According to the rcw, what is it that Oregon is doing that makes Washington deny reciprocity of Oregon permits? Maybe I'm overlooking something.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. because oregon refuses to honor ANY other state cpl, thus making reciprocity not an option. residents of states immediately bordering oregon can apply for an oregon non-resident cpl. getting the oregon non resident cpl may or may not be slightly more complicated than the process for wa cpl. the state ag website has info about reciprocity status with every other state. always a good source of info: http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConcealedWeapo...x#.UhBJkJLpeSo

oregon is an open carry state, though localities in oregon are allowed to make their own rules that affect unlicensed open carry, [and its a mess]

It basically comes down to Oregon refusing to honor Washington's CPL:

RCW 9.41.073

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:
    Oregon is not honored because Oregon does not honor Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    9.41.070 << 9.41.073 >> 9.41.075

RCW 9.41.073

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington
    Oregon fails without even getting out of the starting gate. They don't recognize Washington permits.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. Yeah, I think about this too so I just went down to OR to get one from them. I and my wife and church youth goes to OR so I want to be safe and the people that with me.

7. I live in Massachusetts and can't cross state lines with a firearm. It's a pissing contest between politicians and the states they live in. They are not looking out for us. It's all about the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamsealer View Post
    I live in Massachusetts and can't cross state lines with a firearm. It's a pissing contest between politicians and the states they live in. They are not looking out for us. It's all about the power.
    Can you explain to us exactly why you can't cross state lines with a firearm? I am sure there are Massachusetts residents who do it legally every day. What is unique about your situation?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by iKarith View Post
    It basically comes down to Oregon refusing to honor Washington's CPL:

Oregon is not honored because Oregon does not honor Washington.
    That would be the part I overlooked...the wording is confusing, but after reading it about 7 times, I got it.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Can you explain to us exactly why you can't cross state lines with a firearm? I am sure there are Massachusetts residents who do it legally every day. What is unique about your situation?
    My license is issued by Mass and CT, NY, NH, RI and on and on just won't recognize an out of state license. You can apply for a non-resident in each state and then you can carry there. Get caught and they arrest you and then your state will pull your license and say you are unfit for a permit.
    Hope this helps. Here's a web site that may explain it better. Handgunlaw.us

11. Quote Originally Posted by Seamsealer View Post
    My license is issued by Mass and CT, NY, NH, RI and on and on just won't recognize an out of state license. You can apply for a non-resident in each state and then you can carry there. Get caught and they arrest you and then your state will pull your license and say you are unfit for a permit.
    Hope this helps. Here's a web site that may explain it better. Handgunlaw.us
    You failed to answer why you can't cross state lines with a firearm. It is 100% legal for you to drive across the state line and carry your gun in VT however you choose to. It is perfectly legal for you to lock your unloaded gun in a case and drive through New York and in Pennsylvania exit your vehicle, load your gun and open carry it (outside of Philly, and outside of a vehicle). It's perfectly legal for you to board an airplane in MA, with an unloaded firearm locked in a gun case in your checked baggage, fly to Washington state, load the gun in a bathroom stall inside SEATAC airport and walk out with it openly carried on your belt (again outside of a vehicle and outside the secured area of the airport). Just because your permit is not recognized does not make it illegal to cross state lines with a firearm. I would suggest you read handgunlaw.us. It might explain things better to you as well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast