Traveling into WA, question on open carry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling into WA, question on open carry

1. Traveling into WA, question on open carry

OK, I know that my Colorado Conceal Carry Permit is not honored in WA, so I am left with openly carrying. I'm OK with that, but I am a bit confused on the WA laws regarding open carry. It states that I can openly carry without the need of any permit, but to enter my vehicle the gun must be unloaded... unless I have a valid CPL.

So here is the question; Is my Colorado permit going to be considered a "valid CPL" to open carry in my vehicle?

Thanks in advance

3. No. There will be no consideration for your Colorado CPL at all. I'd suggest going to the closest law enforcement agency to you in Washington and applying for your Washington CPL. When traveling with your weapon in your car, it must be locked (unloaded) in the trunk. And if you are contacted by an Officer, announce it right up front.. they don't like surprises ;)

don't feel bad about not being up on the rules for open carry.. 99.9% of the people aren't fully aware of the nuances of open carry. Far too many think that 'open carry' is free license to go where ever you want with no repercussions.. remember..open carry only applies to public spaces. NOT private property..

You can walk 3 blocks down a city street and cross over private to public boundaries 10 times.

I see all the time where some yahoo walks into a mall (private property) open carrying and then screams foul when security and police respond to the weapons complaint. which, by the way, the police are OBLIGATED to respond to a weapons complaint.

4. Thank you Alex, I will do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex220 View Post
    No. There will be no consideration for your Colorado CPL at all. I'd suggest going to the closest law enforcement agency to you in Washington and applying for your Washington CPL. When traveling with your weapon in your car, it must be locked (unloaded) in the trunk. And if you are contacted by an Officer, announce it right up front.. they don't like surprises ;)

don't feel bad about not being up on the rules for open carry.. 99.9% of the people aren't fully aware of the nuances of open carry. Far too many think that 'open carry' is free license to go where ever you want with no repercussions.. remember..open carry only applies to public spaces. NOT private property..

You can walk 3 blocks down a city street and cross over private to public boundaries 10 times.

I see all the time where some yahoo walks into a mall (private property) open carrying and then screams foul when security and police respond to the weapons complaint. which, by the way, the police are OBLIGATED to respond to a weapons complaint.
    You are wrong on several counts in Washington (and the following is for Washington only). First - the firearm does not have to be locked in the trunk. RCW 9.41.050 prohibits two acts without a CPL - concealing the firearm on the person (anywhere, loaded or not, inside a vehicle or not), and placing or carrying a LOADED handgun in a vehicle. If the handgun is unloaded, the handgun can be ANYWHERE in the vehicle - open or concealed, so long as it is not concealed on the person. The glovebox is legal, the front passenger seat is legal, in a belt holster openly carried is legal. The only place that is illegal is concealed on the person. The loaded magazine can be anywhere except inserted in the gun.

You say to lock the gun up in the trunk AND notify LEO? Are you serious? What am I going to tell them? Officer, I have an unloaded handgun locked in the trunk?!? Are you SERIOUS? There is no requirement to inform in Washington, just keep your mouth shut, regardless of where the gun is, unless the officer is going to search and find it anyway. And certainly don't tell them about an unloaded gun locked in the trunk, that is totally 100% ridiculous.

Open carry applies to private property just as much as it applies to public places. A private property owner can ask you to leave their property for any reason, and if you don't then it is trespassing. It is exactly the same with open carry in Washington State. Yes, you can walk 3 blocks down a city street and cross over private to public property 10 times....AND IT DOESN'T MATTER! If the private property owner does not ask you to leave, then you are just fine and perfectly legal. And the private property owner/agent can ask you to leave because you are wearing socks with sandals, just the same as they can ask you to leave because you have a holstered handgun and both reasons would carry exactly the same weight in regards to trespassing laws; you leave, everything OK; you stay, you can be trespassing.

Pretyy much Alex220's post is about 90 percent bull crap.

You do have to be careful of the 1000' FT Federal School Zone prohibition, without a CPL actually issued by Washington.

You (and Alex220) need to read RCW 9.41. Especially .050, .060, .290 and .300.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. LCDR.. I'm speaking from a Law Enforcement perspective.. you can quote RCW all day, it doesn't matter, but if you have an unloaded pistol on your seat, and you're stopped by an Officer, you're going to be answering a few questions. Or the more classic of reaching for your credentials in your glove box and an unloaded pistol becomes visible as you reach in... you're going to have a pretty bad day after that.

you can scream RCW all day, but you're still going to have a gun screwed into your ear.

So now we have a decision to make. Follow the law, or lick the boots and polish the badge of a rogue cop who doesn't care what the law says and looks for an excuse to go jack booted thug on people. Badge polishing and boot licking goes against my oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United against all enemies both foreign and domestic. An oath that apparently Alex220 kept his fingers crossed when he repeated it.

And people wonder why I say to not ask cops for legal advice.... notice Alex220's reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex220 View Post
    it must be locked (unloaded) in the trunk.
    Flat out lied, knowing full well what the real statute said.....
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Well lets thank Alex cause when he does give someone a hard time for no reason we Washington tax payers will be paying for his ignorance. Well it is no longer ignorance since NavyLCDR showed you the RCW and you refuse to follow the Laws that you are suppose to be enforcing. So if you are wondering why people do not like the police it might just be due to most of you have this type of attitude.
    Last edited by Kasper; 09-20-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: correcting spelling error not to no

Washington honors a non-resident Utah permit. Utah does require that you sit through a class, but 30 states honor Utah so it is worth it. It took 70 days to get ours from mailing the application packet to the laminated card in hand.

10. Thank you NavyLCDR, for clearing that up. I will educate myself with the RCW

@ Alex - while I thank you for your advice, what matters to me is the actual and factual law, not the "LEO perspective". Please, next time you offer advice based on your own personal feelings and not fact, just say so and I will take it with a grain of salt. Thanks anyway.

11. Quote Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
    Thank you NavyLCDR, for clearing that up. I will educate myself with the RCW

@ Alex - while I thank you for your advice, what matters to me is the actual and factual law, not the "LEO perspective". Please, next time you offer advice based on your own personal feelings and not fact, just say so and I will take it with a grain of salt. Thanks anyway.
    You will find very few police officers like Alex220 in Washington, and most of those like him are in Seattle. The vast majority of police officers in WA are professionals who respect the law. If you have any questions about the RCWs, just ask!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast