Big change coming in Wisconsin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big change coming in Wisconsin

Big change coming in Wisconsin

Maybe somebody already posted this good news, but if so I didn't see it:

"Both houses of the Wisconsin legislature went Republican last night, making it almost certain that Wisconsin will become the 41st [state] to provide a fair, non-arbitrary system for law-abiding, trained adults to be issued permits to carry handguns for lawful protection."

Apparently the anti-gun governor who vetoed previous "shall issue" attempts will be replaced by a pro-gun governor.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: The Second Amendment

Also, Wisconsin's generally anti-gun Senator Russ Feingold lost to his pro-gun opponent.

That's good news. However, Wisconsin's statute prohibiting concealed carry was just struck down as unconstitutional ( http://www.wisconsinappeals.net/wp-c...0/Schultz1.pdf ).

So technically, Wisconsin doesn't need a statute to permit concealed carry.

Pennsylvania is not as restrictive as Wisconsin, but we got Republican control of both houses and a Repubican Governor as well. Before last week, the Pennsylvania Senate was the only legislative body in the northeastern United States with a Republican Majority!

We still have gun control politicians from Philadelphia who are trying to make Pennsylvania CCW permits for residents only, as Philadelphia County approves very few and they hate it when people get a Utah or Florida permits instead to get around their control issues.

Hopefully Wisconsin will follow the path of Iowa!

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Hopefully Wisconsin will follow the path of Iowa!
    And hopefully Alabama, Conecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island will too.

Keep a close eye on them. There are still RINO's among them. Hold their feet to the fire.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

7. Bad Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    That's good news. However, Wisconsin's statute prohibiting concealed carry was just struck down as unconstitutional ( http://www.wisconsinappeals.net/wp-c...0/Schultz1.pdf ).

So technically, Wisconsin doesn't need a statute to permit concealed carry.

This was one limited decision by the lowest level of court. It does not have statewide applicability. Concealed carry is still (technically and otherwise) unlawful in Wisconsin.

In another web forum there was discussion of what is coming in WI. Will take awhile as the new state agenda has to be set and prioritized but there are plenty of votes to change the gun laws.

I went to an open carry meeting a few weekends ago in southern WI and a state senator spoke for awhile. There are several issues with the gun owners in WI. Many want full legal open carry and some of them do not want concealed carry if it has training and permits.

Will see how things move along in WI, but this is one state that will make a big change in carrying.

Many want full legal open carry . . .

I thought Wisconsin already had that. And isn't concealed carry with permits (and even reasonable training) better than no concealed carry at all? After all, concealed carry wouldn't replace open carry.

Sorry BamaBoy, there is open carry but in some parts of the state you will be stopped.

Many want constitutional carry like Vermont, Alaska and now Arizona have where you do not need a license or permit, for open carry or concealed carry. Many do not want concealed carry with a lot of limits, fees, etc that can be changed out in time. Will see what happens in Wisconsin once the new legislature is in session.

One other important thing they want repealed is not carrying in vehicles. If you open carry now, you have to empty the revovlver or pistol outside the vehicle, put it in a case and have it not near you. It does not have to be locked and ammo can be in the same case. It has to be fully closed.

So, if you drive around and make many stops you do that routine over and over. You have to stand by the door and do it. You cannot have it loaded and on the vehicle seat, on the hood etc. For motorcyles, bikes. Applies to boats with the motor on.

It seems to me that someone who wants to have the ability to carry a gun should be at least willing get some training to make sure that their rounds hit their mark.

What if that guy with no training is trying to save your loved ones?

Though, I also think that a majority of the problem with this is the fact that classes for such training are so expensive. As an instructor, I think that the training is far more important than the money. But after being certified I realized that I am a true outcast in that respect.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast