Any word on WI concealed carry reciprocity with other states? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any word on WI concealed carry reciprocity with other states?

1. Quote Originally Posted by cortchubby View Post
    I cant find any info in WI DOJ reciprocity info,if anyone has this info
    please post the link.Or provide a cut and paste of the info?

THANKS !
    WI Department of Justice - Law Enforcement Services
    DOJ will publish reciprocity on November 1st.
    It is my option, that you need to be a residence of the issuing state.
    Notice, that it says , "if I am visiting from another state, and have a CCW from that state".
    I see you are from Illinois, Illinois doesn't issue CC permits, so I don't think you will be able to carry in Wisconsin.
    An optimist, is someone that doesn't know all the facts!

Reciprocity

Being from Illinois I possess NON RESIDENT PERMITS for AZ NH PA and VA.
    DOJ has stated(but not written) that they will accept permits from other stStates that do backgound checks and have a level of training. They STILL have NOT said anything about accepting NON RESIDENT permits. Iknow that MI,FL and CO are a few states that you must be a resident of the state your permit was issued in in order to be able to carry. HOWEVER...Open carry is legal in Wisconsin should there be an issue with Concealed Reciprocity.
    Example is MI. I do not have a MI CCW but I CAN carry OPENLY in the State of Michigan.This would also apply to the state of Wisconsin should they not honor my permits. They need to get this in order because in November there is going to be a flood of applications to the DOJ for CCW.
    " We came,We Saw,We kicked their asses and when the screaming stopped,the blood dried,the smoke cleared and the dust settled...PEACE WAS RESTORED"

4. What rules on carrying must a CCW licensee from another state follow?

If the out-of-state CCW licensee is from a state that issues CCW licenses or permits
    recognized by Wisconsin and thus legally able to carry concealed in Wisconsin, the
    person must comply with all Wisconsin legal requirements.
    Discussing Wisconsin's Concealed Carry Law At www.armedbadger.com

Out of state ccw permits.

EXAMPLE:

I hold an AZ NR(Non Resident) CCW.
    Lets assume for the sake of this debate that WI already has CCW in place and active. I MUST FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES OF THE ARIZONA PERMITS as WELL AS ANY AND ALL APPLICABLE LAWS IN WISCONSIN.

Example 2 : If the Arizona permit says that I CAN carry in a bar and Wisconson forbids this then since I am on Wisconsin soil, I MUST follow the wisconsin law.

Again EVERYONE is SPECULATING which is well and fine but until the Department of Justice in Wisconsin issues an Offical Reciprocity Agreement or List of States permits they accept,this is nothing more than hyperbole.

While it makes sense to abide by the gun laws of the state you are walking around armed in,you should ALSO be cognizant of the laws that pertain to your issuing State as well.

The SAFEST 'rule of thumb' is to follow the law of the state you are standing in. Until CCW becomes "official" and until a reciprocity list is published by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, you can ONLY OPEN CARRY.

You can ONLY OPEN CARRY until 01 Nov 2011 which is when the WI CCW law becomes "official".

Should you need clarifications please by all means contact:

STATE OF WISCONSIN
    DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
    FIREARMS DIVISION
    Madison Wisconsin.
    (I posted the number a ways back in this post)
    " We came,We Saw,We kicked their asses and when the screaming stopped,the blood dried,the smoke cleared and the dust settled...PEACE WAS RESTORED"

Quote Originally Posted by cortchubby View Post
    Being from Illinois I possess NON RESIDENT PERMITS for AZ NH PA and VA.
    DOJ has stated(but not written) that they will accept permits from other stStates that do backgound checks and have a level of training. They STILL have NOT said anything about accepting NON RESIDENT permits. Iknow that MI,FL and CO are a few states that you must be a resident of the state your permit was issued in in order to be able to carry. HOWEVER...Open carry is legal in Wisconsin should there be an issue with Concealed Reciprocity.
    Example is MI. I do not have a MI CCW but I CAN carry OPENLY in the State of Michigan.This would also apply to the state of Wisconsin should they not honor my permits. They need to get this in order because in November there is going to be a flood of applications to the DOJ for CCW.
    It doe not matter what the DOJ says. The law specifically says that the DOJ cannot add more requirements that aren't in the law. It specifically says that as long as you aren't a WI residents, if you have a permit from ANY state that does a background check, it MUST be recognized. No training requirement is in the law for reciprocity.

Please quote the Wisconsin Law Chaper and Verse that says this.

I have read numerous speculative OPINIONS about what Wisconsin will or will not do but apparently you have knowledge of the Wisconsin Law that applys here.So please post the Chapter and Paragraph of this Law so that I may personally review it. Unfortunately it DOES matter what DOJ says in this matter since they are a direct route to the Attorney General and ultimately the governors office. But if, as you claim, there exists such a law on the CURRENT COPY OF WISCONSIN LAW,please by all means post the page,chapter and paragraph so that all this SPECULATION and be put to rest and we can all see exactly what the State Law says with regard to this and NOT have to rely on unsupported opinions and speculation. THIS IS CRITICAL because many people go to Wisconsin from out of state. They need to know EXACTLY CHAPTER,VERSE and PAGE what the LAW says and not depend on opinions from lay people.(no offense intended)
    Interestingly,Each time I contact the Wisconsin DOJ and inquire about this they do not specifically state they are in any sort of reciprocity. So based upon that information (or lack thereof) and short of any reciprocity list,we would all need to fall back on this Law that you say exists. If so please post the requested information.I look forward to reading it.

175.60(1)(f) “Out−of−state license” means a valid permit, license,approval, or other authorization issued by another state if all of the
    following apply:
    1. The permit, license, approval, or other authorization is for
    the carrying of a concealed weapon.
    2. The state is listed in the rule promulgated by the department
    under s. 165.25 (12m) and, if that state does not require a background
    search for the permit, license, approval, or authorization,
    the permit, license, approval, or authorization designates that the
    holder chose to submit to a background search.
    which points to:

165.25 (12m) Rules regarding concealed weapons licenses. Promulgate by rule a list of states that issue a permit, license, approval, or other authorization to carry a concealed weapon if the permit, license, approval, or other authorization requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that is comparable to a background check as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (ac).
    Basically, this is saying that the DOJ has to create the list but the list MUST include all states that do background checks or offer optional background checks and the person got one.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-21-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting

outstanding! and thank you! this means that very few states CCW permits will be off this list.
    I hope they do this right(according to the law)so I can use this as the example for Illinois.

I HATE being in the only state that doesnt think the Constitution applies.

Off the top of my head these are some that should be ON the WI DOJ list:

AZ
    NH,VA,FL,AZ,PA,MO,IN,IA,
    just for starters.
    I can almost hear Lauren Cnare screaming from here LOL

Thank you again!

ARMED IN CHICAGO.

Walker thought that the more permits that Wisconsin will honor, the better for our tourism industry. Take that as conjecture though, because I cannot remember where I heard him say that.

11. It works both ways, The more that Wisconsin honors, the more that will honor Wisconsin's.
    An optimist, is someone that doesn't know all the facts!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast