CCW application sent off. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CCW application sent off.

I took this one step further and CALLED MILWAUKEE PD. A nice hour conversation with the Officer related to me a few things about this woman and her gun in the car.

THIS IS ACCORDING TO MILWAUKEE PD and CONCURS WITH WI LAW.

Woman should have encased weapon in glove box,center console,or trunk. If she had it on her PERSON and was in a vehicle,the weapon is considered concealed. Now had she had a CCW permit I think this may have had a different out come. As the article is written,she is guilty of UUW. It is my hope that she can clear herself and her record and get a CCW permit.
    Now,I think we all need to focus on a few things.
    a. CHECK WITH THE STATE YOU ARE GOING TO CARRY IN IF NOT YOUR HOME STATE. Its THEIR ball park,play by ther rules.
    b. ALWAYS be professionally polite with LEO's despite personal opinions of them.There are some officers Id like to take in an alley and beat senseless sometimes but Trust me when I tell you,you will WALK AWAY FREE AND CLEAR with just a smidgen of courtesy. As a public Safety supervisor in The Chicago Public Housing Unit,you would be surprised to know that a 'yes sir" and "Im sorry sir" got the potential offender a ride home as opposed to a ride to the lockup.
    c. We are ALL "ambassadors" to CCW. LEO will base their opinions of all of us on the foolish actions of a few. I feel that if we are decent(and we all are)to them,it will be reciprocated.
    I guess all Im saying is that we all should be helping eachother LEARN here and help eachother out
    with State Specific events,laws,encounters,and advice.
    Im very proud to be a part of this community and am more than happy to help as well as take advice.

Lets do this the RIGHT way.

ARMED IN CHICAGO
    " We came,We Saw,We kicked their asses and when the screaming stopped,the blood dried,the smoke cleared and the dust settled...PEACE WAS RESTORED"

The safest thing to do is wait until you have the ACTUAL PERMIT in your possession.
    Im hoping those that have the permit can submit a picture of it(personal info blocked out of course) so we can see what it looks like!
    " We came,We Saw,We kicked their asses and when the screaming stopped,the blood dried,the smoke cleared and the dust settled...PEACE WAS RESTORED"

4. Well I disagree that it concurs with Wisconsin law. The legislator removed the car carry regulations so open carriers would not have to unload/reload every time the got into and out of a car. The weapon is more secure and less of a risk if it stays in the holster. But anyways the DA has yet to determine if charges will be filed or not. either way Chief Flynn has already made up his mind that his interpretation of the law is the only one that matters. He is the same one that said he didn't care if open carry was legal he was still going to order his "troops" to take them down at gunpoint, seize the weapon, and arrest. If she was concealing it under a jacket that's one thing but she was open carrying in a car and the weapon was visible. BTW if she would have had it in the glove compartment or the center counsel then she would have been guilty of concealed carry without a permit. She applied for the permit and while she waited she did the only legal thing she could do. Milwaukee police because of Flynn will always hassle any carrier because he disagrees with the law.

Anyways I tried to scan my permit, it looked like crap but you can see one here.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf
    Just scroll down. Not the best looking thing ever but It is the best thing I have ever had in my wallet.

Wow. This should be a challenging case. Again,we as "responsible CCW permit holders" need to track this and,if necessary,file the appropriate complaints to DOJ about this Flynn goof. Sounds like another drone that will enforce the Contstitution. Just the parts he agrees with.

Ah HA! I think I found the law regarding this womans predicament:

If I do not have a CCW license how do I transport weapons in a vehicle?
    A. Handguns
    The law now allows a person to do the following without a CCW permit:
     place, possess, or transport a handgun in a vehicle without being
    unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. 167.31(2)(b).
     load a handgun in a vehicle. Wis. Stats. 167.31(2)(c).
     operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) with a handgun in the operator‘s
    possession. Wis. Stat. 23.33(3)(a).
     place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a motorboat with the motor
    running without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. 167.31(2)(a), (b),
    (c).
     place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a noncommercial aircraft.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons who do not have a CCW license may still not
    carry weapons concealed. In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be
    hidden or concealed and within reach.

7. Quote Originally Posted by cortchubby View Post
    Ah HA! I think I found the law regarding this womans predicament:
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons who do not have a CCW license may still not
    carry weapons concealed. In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be
    hidden or concealed and within reach.
    While this is not the law this appears to be pulled from the DOJ FAQ it is still the interpretation of the law by Wisconsin's "Top Cop". But a point I want to bring up. You said you called the Milwaukee police and they said "Woman should have encased weapon in glove box,center console,or trunk". Besides the trunk the other 2 locations they advised are clearly CCW violations without a permit (they are concealed and within reach). So they say her not concealed is against the law but they advise you to break the law. I guarantee that if you did what they advised and the Milwaukee police found out they would no longer interpret the law that way and you would be spending time in jail.

Just more games that the chief plays. I know it is still far better then what you have in Illinois but it still isn't right. Also it is a possible introduction to what you will have with Chicago when a CCW law is finally passed. Even with statewide preemption there is still some wiggle room for a police department to fight the law and use lawful citizens as pawns in there little games. That is why I suggest you fight against any may issue and against any law without state preemption. Chicago will fight probably even harder then Milwaukee and without it lawful citizens will do jail time and go broke trying to fight charges.

#73xx ... Sent Nov 1st cashed on the Nov 10th received Nov 21st..... No more unloading coming back across the WI boarder :-) ..... I work in MN :-)

9. Quote Originally Posted by fourmula766 View Post
    #73xx ... Sent Nov 1st cashed on the Nov 10th received Nov 21st..... No more unloading coming back across the MN boarder :-) ..... I work in MN :-)
    Congratulations

10. Well I sent my app out late I think it was on the 7th. Checked my bank and my check was cashed the 21st. Looks like they are moving pretty fast.

11. I sent mine on the 2nd, check was cashed on the 14th and still nothing yet.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast