Ladies - what gun to you carry? - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies - what gun to you carry?

I graduated to a .45. I have been researching CCW for over a year. I watched Tactical Tim's U tube clips on CC weapon Reviews. (I have been reading and LISTENING to all you people on here and on the USCCA forum). I have found that an alarming number of people carry a .45. I always thought OMG why would you carry a hand cannon. But I kept reading and tried to keep an open mind.

Then I saw Tim review .45's He did 4 or 5 side by side. He Reviewed the Taurus Millennium 745. I fell in love with it. So I decided to get rid of a gun I had got as my first CC gun back this January. A 9mm Kel-Tec P-11 While it is fine hidden, I was miserable shooting it. The trigger pull actually hurt the tendons in my arm. I could get no consistent accuracy with that trigger pull. Heck I could hardly hit a target with it, dry fire it would move no matter what I did. Anyway I took it to a Gun Show and put for sale on it. It sure was like New. I did not even carry it cause I did not trust it. I was Carrying my Ruger LCP .380. I can hit the target with it. The Kel-Tec sold B4 I got inside.

I went looking for the Taurus. Several were there but overpriced. I finally found one. But I did not realize there was a 145 as well as a 745. The 145 takes 11 rounds and the 745 is single stack 7 rounds. I held the 145 It is not that heavy. The price was right so I got it. I took it out and shot it that afternoon. Did I make a Mistake getting the 145 instead of the 745? NO... Taurus Millennium PT 145 Pro fits my hand Like it was made for it. I can release the Magazine with my Thumb without moving my hand or having to use the other hand. I can flip the safety with a flick of my thumb. Like it was made for my hand. Trigger pull? AHHHHHHHHH.. Recoil? What Recoil. I think the 9 had more. Oh Sure it kicks, but if you do not fight it, it's not a problem. I even did some quick fire. I know it is thicker than the 745, and I have never shot a .45 before, I was expecting it to knock me back. (It did almost deafen me and I ran for my ear plugs)

Its a little big but I still managed to conceal it well enough. Actually it does not seem to profile much more than the but of my 380. I think that is because it goes down in my pants and sits straighter. The .380 tends to stick out when I set cause nothing goes down your pants to keep it upright.

The Sights are still off, We worked on them last night, but I have not got to shoot it since. getting it sighted in is a priority. But Once i knew where it was hitting I could hold off target and hit the spot i wanted. I even killed an old laundry detg. bottle with one shot. So I am in the New Gun stage, but so far it has over reached my expectations. The FMJ does want to hang up on the front of the Magazine and I need to file the Magazine some. But the CC HP's clear nicely. Don is suppose to dig out his round file.

Did I get the "wrong" gun? (145 instead of the intended 745) My hands say no. This is the first gun I have ever owned that fit me like it does. I could shoot it all day. We bought 500 rounds of FMJ. So I could shoot it all day. LOL. Holding it in my hand at the Gun Show before I bought it I knew it felt good. I pulled the trigger I knew I liked that. So I guess I will carry a hand cannon now too. And keep my beloved accurate LCP .380 for when I decide That much clothing is optional. LOL.

I tend to be the person who is looking for something bad to say about whatever, So I can say, why does the clip even need filed? should Taurus not have taken care of that problem? The sights were way off, but I can see them in LOW light conditions, which is nice. The sights are adjustable, But I will need help getting it on target. Take those 2 things out of the picture and It shoots like a dream. My Husbands Ruger P89 Is also a very nice gun and shoots well, but it is awful large for a 9mm and weighs a lot. I have shot it a few times, enough to know I wanted a GOOD gun, instead of the 9mm I had. His Ammo is cheaper, but he is now Jealous of my Taurus.

I think I will call it Mack. as it is a Millennium and I had a Min Pin Dog born in 2000 that we called Millennium Mechanic which was shortened to "Mack", or Mech..Mech is gone but his memory lives on. I call my LCP Elsie. Name it and then you can not sell it or trade it off. Mack got named pretty quickly after I shot him.. ROFL. Ya it is too big & strong to be a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    crowsnake:
    When I shopped for my first gun, the salesman (a cop) made a point that I never thought about: if you live in an area where people wear heavy clothes during the cold months, how well will your .380 penetrate a leather jacket with other layering pieces underneath? He advised me to get a 9mm or larger caliber to account for this (I live in Michigan) for that reason, and also because at the time .380 was in short supply and very expensive.

In short, find the gun that you won't hesitate to carry--it should be a gun that you are comfortable shooting and that you shoot WELL. That is the gun that will do you the most good when you keep it on hand every where you go, every day
    I never thought about winter clothing for penetration, I knew I wanted a bigger gun for winter and something that would knock them down. My .380 HP's have a lot of knock down power for their size and powder, but they are not as scary as a .45. I walk a lot, I like to go to parks and walk with my little dogs, they warn me if someone gets within my comfort zone, and would be sure to trip up or at least slow down the BG. But scary they are not. It just shows that there are so dang many variables to consider it is mind blowing

I got my .45 Saturday at the Gun Show, after finding a buyer for the Kel-Tec 9mm. I got the Taurus Millennium Pro 145 It holds 10 rounds if you do not want to force that last round into the magazine and stretch the spring. I was thinking I was getting the 745, ( I was confused on the two, I wrote it down but was not sure if it was a 7 or a 1, I held the 145 and liked it) So far I really like this gun. I have shot it once and I need to get it sighted in better, but it is awesome to shoot. If you ever get a chance to shoot someone's Taurus 145 do so. (Well Only if you can afford one, cause you will probably want one after you shoot it) As far as knock down goes, well now I can knock down a concrete block.

Women Shooting Groups

Hello, this is OT but wanted to target the women here. I'm starting a shooting group for women at our church and wanted to ask if anyone has a suggestion for a catchy name?
    Also, if anyone has experience at conducting a Women's shooting group could you share your experience with me?
    Thank you in advance, Hilda

Pink Pistols is already taken. Crystal-pistol society has a nice ring to it though.

Quote Originally Posted by straxler View Post
    The CC shirts sound like a good idea. Where did you order them from?
    I got them from the 511-Tactical Series. They can usually be found in Galls & Quarter Master magazines. They have some other neat clothing for CC too. Thanks for the input.

Add an extra round to your magazines

To those who can only carry a 10 round magazine, do you charge your weapon & put another round back into the magazine so you have 11 rounds your actually carrying? Of course this works w/any size magazine. The more firepower the better.
    clking9mm

Womens Shooting Group

Quote Originally Posted by Hildab View Post
    Hello, this is OT but wanted to target the women here. I'm starting a shooting group for women at our church and wanted to ask if anyone has a suggestion for a catchy name?
    Also, if anyone has experience at conducting a Women's shooting group could you share your experience with me?

We have a CC club that is really cool. There are different scenarios set up as if you were in a real fire fight. You use real ammo too. Ours meets twice p/month. Once is indoor shooting. The second is outdoor shooting.
    Check with your local shooting ranges and police/sheriff depts. We had both law enforcement & CC members. The CC had to shoot from Concealed & law enforcement shot how ever they carried. Detectives that wore coats shot like us (Parole Officers) from CC. Uniform officers shot without conceal. The group had dues, a pecking order (ie. President, VP, Sec & Treasurer). They were the ones who came up with the shooting scenarios. Ours is not women only and there are only a few women in it. There is a point system, but the thing I like is you are really compeating against youself to better your own score. There are some really good shooters and it really makes you think & act fast to prepare you should that awful situation arise. I still carry law enforcement issue pepper spray so I have a choice of non lethal if at all possible.
    clking9mm

This is kinda corny, but try on for size "WWC-Women Who Carry". I had a hard time with "Crystal Pistols" because we have a strip club by that name here. We also have an annual conference here called "Women In Criminal Justice". I think we are just one leg of many other of the same name organization. You might check the internet & locate them and possiblly get some ideas.
    clking9mm

Not a name but a theme, "God protects our souls, Smith & Wesson protects our homes."

(Saw a shirt @ the Gun Show, "Piercings by S&W". Loved it. LOL)

God, Guns, & Lipstick

another good theme, "I never walk alone" with a photo of a gun under it. And Footprints in sand

Quote Originally Posted by clking9mm View Post
    To those who can only carry a 10 round magazine, do you charge your weapon & put another round back into the magazine so you have 11 rounds your actually carrying? Of course this works w/any size magazine. The more firepower the better.
    clking9mm
    I used to do that, when I carried my .380 so I had 7 rounds, but with my 10 round mag, I decided from what all the guys tell me that you need to leave at least one shell less than it holds when you "store" it so you do not put so much stress on your spring. So Now with 10 round of .45 ammo. I figure that is enough. And I save my spring.
    CrowSnake
    CCW Holder Mo. - NRA - USCCA - HOG
    .45 Taurus Millennium Pro PT 145 - Ruger LCP .380

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast