Ladies - what gun to you carry? - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies - what gun to you carry?

Extra round in chamber

Quote Originally Posted by crowsnake View Post
    I used to do that, when I carried my .380 so I had 7 rounds, but with my 10 round mag, I decided from what all the guys tell me that you need to leave at least one shell less than it holds when you "store" it so you do not put so much stress on your spring. So Now with 10 round of .45 ammo. I figure that is enough. And I save my spring.

Having worked in law ennforcement for 20 years, we were taught to load/carry with the extra round in the chamber. I have never had any problems with the springs in my magazine. I don't really understand how that would even effect the magazine. The round is already in the chamber. When you reload with a full magazine and insert it back into your weapon it is the same as carrying it without charging it. There would be no extra tension on the spring. I'm not sure about your weapon, but on my Glock springs are very inexpensive and should be changed after firing so many rounds according to your manafacture instructions. I was a State Parole Officer for 15yrs before I had to medically retire 12/09, I only changed my springs once. I chose to carry the Glock 26 for various reasons, even though it only holds a 10 round magazine. We could carry the non-sub compact weapons with 15 round magazines, thus 15+1. My philosophy is you never know when you might need that one extra round.

Quote Originally Posted by clking9mm View Post
    I had a hard time with "Crystal Pistols" because we have a strip club by that name here.
    Why should that make a difference?

As to carrying one less with a semi-auto, that used to be the advice for certain pistols, particularly the Browning Hi-Power and some of its various clones. However this is 1980's era advice. Semi-autos have come along way in the past 30 years. I would not hesitate to carry a modern semi fully loaded up. (I carry a Glock 22 BTW)

Some of the Clinton-ear reduced capacity magazines did not always work fully loaded, but that's because they were delibrately crippled so that an eleventh round could not be loaded into the magazine. I use the standard capacity magazines with my Glock for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    As to carrying one less with a semi-auto, that used to be the advice for certain pistols, particularly the Browning Hi-Power and some of its various clones. However this is 1980's era advice. Semi-autos have come along way in the past 30 years. I would not hesitate to carry a modern semi fully loaded up. (I carry a Glock 22 BTW) .
    After you put a full clip in your gun then you round the chamber and that takes one of the rounds out of your Magazine, which takes pressure off the spring. @ least that is what was recommended to me. Perhaps it does not need to be done. With my .380 I would pull the magazine and add that round to replace the one in the chamber. I only had 7 that way.
    CrowSnake
    CCW Holder Mo. - NRA - USCCA - HOG
    .45 Taurus Millennium Pro PT 145 - Ruger LCP .380

springs are very inexpensive and should be changed after firing so many rounds according to your manufacture instructions.
    Oh heck I did not know you could replace the springs. I thought once the spring got weak you had to buy a whole new one. I have had semi auto's for years and I have worried about the springs forever. I thought it was a one spring deal.. I feel so much better now.

So many people, even on here, are always talking about over stressing your spring as if it was the life of the magazine. No one ever said they could just get a new spring. So why are they are making a big deal out of it.. They made me even more paranoid about my springs. Thanks for clearing that up.

I do not know why but My Taurus PT 145 did not have a book with it. I went to their web site hoping to download a book but they did not offer one. I can call them and probably should call and ask for one. They do offer a disassemble and reassemble video.
    CrowSnake

As to carrying one less with a semi-auto, that used to be the advice for certain pistols, particularly the Browning Hi-Power and some of its various clones. However this is 1980's era advice. Semi-autos have come along way in the past 30 years. I would not hesitate to carry a modern semi fully loaded up. (I carry a Glock 22 BTW)

Some of the Clinton-ear reduced capacity magazines did not always work fully loaded, but that's because they were delibrately crippled so that an eleventh round could not be loaded into the magazine. I use the standard capacity magazines with my Glock for this reason.

If I understand you correctly, some weapons don't work with the extra round in the chamber, and you use the standard magazine that holds 10 rounds total. In Texas if your not in law enforcement you can no longer buy or carry the large capacity magazines legally. I am not sure what other state laws are. I thought it was a federal law.

Some interesting information on some weapons being deliberately cripled to stop an 11th round.
    I have a friend who is a TABC Agent & a Glock & other weapons Armoror so I can get clarification on the extra round in the chamber as well who can carry larger capacity magazines . This is a blog and informational forum so it is important to me to provide correct facts that I submit.

clking9mm

Quote Originally Posted by crowsnake View Post
    Oh heck I did not know you could replace the springs. I thought once the spring got weak you had to buy a whole new one. I have had semi auto's for years and I have worried about the springs forever. I thought it was a one spring deal.. I feel so much better now.

So many people, even on here, are always talking about over stressing your spring as if it was the life of the magazine. No one ever said they could just get a new spring. So why are they are making a big deal out of it.. They made me even more paranoid about my springs. Thanks for clearing that up.

I do not know why but My Taurus PT 145 did not have a book with it. I went to their web site hoping to download a book but they did not offer one. I can call them and probably should call and ask for one. They do offer a disassemble and reassemble video.

You can go to the Taurus website and contact them for information & specs on your weapon. You should be able to order any parts you need as well. If they want to to charge for a manual then simply ask the questions you have.
    I obviously don't know who provided you information about the springs, but my guess it was a "male shooter". And, that's why we have a separate forum specific for us LADY SHOOTERS. I don't know what experiences other LADY SHOOTERS have had, but most of the LADY SHOOTERS I have been around are not in a "pissing contest" to be the "know it all" of firearms. They just share information & try to be helpful to one another, because LADIES we must face the fact that we are a MINORITY when it comes to carring firearms no matter if your a Law Enforcement Officer or a CC shooter.
    clking9mm
    Last edited by clking9mm; 09-18-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: grammer/spelling errors

What makes a difference with me regarding the name of a Female Firearm Club called the "Crystal Pistols" is I don't want to be associated with "strippers". I was just giving my opinion about the name that was suggested.

I don't try to load 11 rounds into a 10 round magazine. I find that impossible. I load 10 rounds, charge my weapon, drop the magazine and load another round which ends up 10+1.
    clking9mm

I got out an sighted in my Taurus. Now (if I do not flinch) I can knock the flea off a tick.. Ok so maybe not, but I can hit my target. ROFL.

I found my Problem with failure to load. It is the magazine the plastic loader thing inside the mag is going vertical and not pushing the front of the bullet up into the barrel. I think a call to Taurus is in order tomorrow. I will see that they say. If I am having the problem on a new gun, then I am probably not the first one, especially since both Mags are doing it, not just one. It is usually the 3,4 and 5th rounds.
    CrowSnake

What makes a difference with me regarding the name of a Female Firearm Club called the "Crystal Pistols" is I don't want to be associated with "strippers". I was just giving my opinion about the name that was suggested.
    The preferred term is "exotic dancer". I don't see any negative connotation associated with exotic dancing.

I don't try to load 11 rounds into a 10 round magazine. I find that impossible.
    Some of the deliberately crippled 10 round magazines can barely be loaded up to 10 rounds.

I load 10 rounds, charge my weapon, drop the magazine and load another round which ends up 10+1.
    clking9mm
    That's basically what I do, except that I end up with 15+1.

If I understand you correctly, some weapons don't work with the extra round in the chamber, and you use the standard magazine that holds 10 rounds total. In Texas if your not in law enforcement you can no longer buy or carry the large capacity magazines legally. I am not sure what other state laws are. I thought it was a federal law.

clking9mm
    That all changed in 2004 with the expiration of the Clinton-Era "Assault Weapons" Ban. There is no state law in TX to prevent you from owning standard capacity magazines. MA, NY, NJ, DC, MD, OH, HI, and CA have magazine capacity restictions, TX does not.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast