Large Caliber Handguns and Women - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Caliber Handguns and Women

Quote Originally Posted by sweetokole View Post
    gdcleanfun... do you mind my asking how you carry... I make the Phantom and find that it is not the best design for most women. There seems to be quite a challenge when it comes to method of carry for the opposite sex and it would be interesting to see if I could come up with something that would help.
    I carry 2 ways. First is on my hip in a generic kevlar-type holster, both open carry and cc with an over-sized outer shirt. The other way I carry is in a fanny pack. Today, I just bought a Bianchi Auto Retention Carrylok holster and have questioned its use for both carry on my "curvy" frame. See here.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I carry 2 ways. First is on my hip in a generic kevlar-type holster, both open carry and cc with an over-sized outer shirt. The other way I carry is in a fanny pack. Today, I just bought a Bianchi Auto Retention Carrylok holster and have questioned its use for both carry on my "curvy" frame. See here.

Do you use a "Kevlar" or "Kydex" holster? Kydex can be heated and molded using a heat gun. I'm not familiar with a Kevlar holster.

If you're having problems with your new holster, and it can't be properly adjusted, you can attempt to retrain to get the holster to work properly, or you can do as many of us and add them to the collection of holsters that "don't quite fit". It's important to have a holster that functions properly as in retains the firearm in the desired position when not in use, and releases the firearm properly when you need to draw the firearm without any hang ups.

I've had students in the past come to me with various versions of Kydex holsters that didn't quite fit their jeans, belt loops, etc. Some quick modifications with the Dremel, straight file, and heat gun were able to make the holster function properly for them. Working with leather is a little more tricky and not something I would recommend.

Good luck in finding a solution.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Do you use a "Kevlar" or "Kydex" holster? Kydex can be heated and molded using a heat gun. I'm not familiar with a Kevlar holster.

If you're having problems with your new holster, and it can't be properly adjusted, you can attempt to retrain to get the holster to work properly, or you can do as many of us and add them to the collection of holsters that "don't quite fit". It's important to have a holster that functions properly as in retains the firearm in the desired position when not in use, and releases the firearm properly when you need to draw the firearm without any hang ups.

I've had students in the past come to me with various versions of Kydex holsters that didn't quite fit their jeans, belt loops, etc. Some quick modifications with the Dremel, straight file, and heat gun were able to make the holster function properly for them. Working with leather is a little more tricky and not something I would recommend.

Good luck in finding a solution.

gf
    No, Kydex is not what I have, and kevlar-type holster is what I was told to call what I bought. That's not what I have. Damn, lied to and again made out to be the fool by a salesperson! Sux! What's the proper name for this type of holster? Thanks for teaching us, gf.

BTW, me thinks it would be easier to modify my belt loops rather than modify this new holster. It seems to work just fine, just not sure it will fit my curves. I need more practice with it, and I'm not giving up just yet.

When selecting her personal firearm, my wife tried all of my handguns. This included a Browning Buckmark .22, Sig P-230, Bersa .380, S&W Sigma 9, S&W M&P .40 and a CZ-40. Additionally, she took her first training class with a Glock-19 and fired a buddy's .40 Ruger, .44 Magnum and all three caliber Springfields on the same range where she trained. For "her" personal weapon, she immediately rejected the Glocks as "funny-feeling" (I swear I didn't say a prejudicial word beforehand but confess I LMAO when she said how she felt), the .22 as too light, both .380's as "too much snap" and the .45 as physically bulky or too few rounds since she was inclined to discount being in a situation where she had to worry about split-second reloading. She was okay with the 9mm with regard to mag cap and controllability but really loved my CZ-40.

Of course, they quit manufacturing that model a couple of year's ago. Sigh.

Her final decision was a CZ-75 P-06 (.40 w/3 7/8" bbl.). A couple of my buddies were a bit envious. What's the only thing better than having your well-trained, most trusted friend/partner backing you up most everywhere you go ? It's when your partner selects their weapon and reminds you that you can resupply from their purse or belt if necessary since the mags are interchangeable.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

I tried several guns as well - sadly having to buy them and then trade them in when I found I really didn't like them very much. I finally found a gun that felt great in my hand - like it was custom made for me - a mid sized 1911. I like heavier guns for some reason and this baby weighed in at 2#. Hubby liked it so much he traded in his full size Taurus 1911 and bought the compact version (which I now carry and he carries my mid size ;) ). We switched guns only because with my curves it was a little easier to conceal the one with the shorter grips - they both shoot very well and are fun to shoot too (just wish ammo was a little more reasonably priced lol). I am 5'4" with average size hands and curvy (plus could stand to lose a couple pounds) and I carry IWB in a Kholster. After wading through5 state troopers and a handfull of sheriffs at a convenience store after work the other night I feel pretty confident that my gun is well concealed lol.

I carry a Ruger LCP .380 daily. I mainly bought it for concealed carry (IWB, in my purse, or ankle holster while I'm running) and that's one of the main reasons why I wanted a smaller pistol. I do occasionally open carry in a hip holster, but mainly when I'm out in the woods or something to that extent. The recoil was a big issue with me also, that's why I went for a smaller caliber pistol. I have weak wrists. I'm finding the more I shoot, the stronger they get. I'm sure in time I will be moving up to a larger caliber pistol or revolver.

Hey Gang,
    I recommend new shooters, male or female, try before they buy via asking friends & family if they would mind sharing their handguns. I often share from my personal collection during a Basic Pistol or Concealed Carry class usually consisting of a Buckmark 22, my personal carry S&W 38 (642 Airweight), and my personal fav a H&K P7 9mm....although the Springfield 1911 is an awesome shot it's tough for me to conceal on my med size frame. In my experience some of the best (untrained) natural shots are Gals. Also have a galfriend who's a Marine, expert markswomanship ability is an understatement and she's my heroine!
    Crystal D Mann CAGA http://www.ccwofnc.com
    NC CCW, NRA Basic Pistol & Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
    Certified Arsenal Appraisals & $20 NC FFL Transfer Services too!

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like
    you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of
    shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a
    carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or
    gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list
    of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and
    here's why I say that....

If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not
    comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become
    proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any
    handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper
    shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you
    practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a
    very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very
    1st experience is with .50 S&W.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by sweetokole View Post
    gdcleanfun... do you mind my asking how you carry... I make the Phantom and find that it is not the best design for most women. There seems to be quite a challenge when it comes to method of carry for the opposite sex and it would be interesting to see if I could come up with something that would help.
    I carry Appendix, but I took my Belly band and put it in the more commonly called "Smart Carry" position. I can not wear it around my belly as I have had weight loss surgery and I still have the extra skin, So the belly bands rolls up bad. Plus with my body shape it looks like I have a tumor growing out of my arm pit. Unless I wear a really baggy shirt. Now I was surprised that it was not bad. I expected my Dunlap to dun lap over the gun butt and pinch. But what pinched with the stupid rolled up belly band with the wide Velcro. I have looked at Smart Carry and it looks a little floppy? Like maybe it does not protect the trigger as well as I would like.

I wanted to wear a tighter shirt and the appendix allows profiles. So I stuck it up front. So do you have a link to your holster. I would like to look at it more closely. My larger .45 needs to hide better.
    CrowSnake
    CCW Holder Mo. - NRA - USCCA - HOG
    .45 Taurus Millennium Pro PT 145 - Ruger LCP .380

crowsnake, with your anatomic condition, for lack of a better term, you might check out this holster.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Good luck on your weight loss goals.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast