Large Caliber Handguns and Women - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Caliber Handguns and Women

Try B4 you buy is best, There are ranges who rent out different guns. We have one locally called the Bullet Hole in the Overland Park area of the Kansas City area, that does this. I am not sure which guns they have, but I imagine you could shoot any of their used guns in stock if you were looking to buy.

That being said I did not get the chance to try B4 I bought, but I did watch Tactical Tim's CC gun reviews on You Tube. Watching gun reviews on you tube can greatly help you narrow down your choices in your price range. Tim is not the only guy out there reviewing guns, but he has reviewed several. All this info on You Tube is free.

Once you have narrowed it down then it is time to shoot, Remember research is important. I did not do enough and most of us do not do enough B4 our first CC gun. My first one was a POS. LOL. But the second one the Ruger LCP .380 I love. I did my homework and found it to be a great summer carry gun for the female (cause of size vs hideablity in summer attire). or the guy wanting a good accurate pocket gun for summer. The sights make it a point and shoot gun cause if the sun is not shining right on it then you can not really see the sights. But it is accurate and reliable. But it is not a winter carry gun. Just think about shooting through a leather coat, or vest, or winter attire.. You might just make them mad.

Never go smaller than a .380 the other guns just do not have enough knock down. While it is better to carry small than not carry at all, the .380 can be just as small and light as a .22 or .25 with a lot more knock down.

Now for a winter gun I have the Taurus PT 145. I love it, it is VERY LOUD, but the kick is not bad and the trigger is wonderful. Takes some getting used to but I like it. I love the sights once gotten used too. The yellow glow sights. Low light is not a problem. It is a little big to hide, but not bad and not too heavy. I was looking at the 745, but this one fits my hand so well and my thumb reaches all the right things. Safety and Slide lock without working at it. The kick is not a problem for me with box JHP, of FMJ. I am using a holster I bought a while back from Holster Kings, it is good but it does not protect the nose of my gun from scratches or my skin from the nose of the gun. I could sew a backing on it and might.

Anyway. Research and shoot. And do not be afraid to try at Taurus PT145. You may have to buy one if you do. They are suppose to be sending me 2 new Mags cause the ones that came with it are causing failure to load. We will see if they stand behind their guns or not.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with target shooting a .22. It is a cheap way to practice, Those cheap shells and the lack of kick help build confidence. You can practice with a .22 all day for what it would cost for a few mins with your .380 or bigger. You can get comfortable shooting from squat, stand, laying down etc. You will know where your bullet is going to go. Cause kick does not matter, training matters, You forget all about flinching when the time comes to use your gun, unless you have trained yourself to flinch, by always shooting that big kicking gun. Dry fire and .22 can make you forget about kick, which make you accurate and ready when the BG is on the other end of your muzzle. Always shoot your carry gun just enough to know it well, and trust it, But for standard practice your .22 can really help you.
    CrowSnake
    CCW Holder Mo. - NRA - USCCA - HOG
    .45 Taurus Millennium Pro PT 145 - Ruger LCP .380

Cool 9mm

GlockFan: I think both references are to the 9mm weapons. No decimal point needed. 9mm is only small when you are holding the bullet in your hand. If you are ever hit with it, it feels like a Mack truck.

You should be proficient with the gun you're going to carry. Practicing with one caliber and carrying another is asking for trouble.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    My wife shoots my ruger 454 she don't like it but she can shoot it if she has to, she carrys a Taurus 9mm and a 380, she shoots my Bersa 45 almost as well as I do, I think she would carry a 45 but one small enough for her to be comfortable with is way out of my price range, so I dont put no stock in that, that guns to big for a girl stuff.........oh and she's 4.8 and is barely a 100 lbs
    My girlfriend can shoot my Casull almost as well as I do. At 5'4" 125# the 300gr. rock her world some but she puts all five on paper at 35 feet. She carries a Bersa .380 in summer and a XD-9 the rest of the time.

I love my Beretta 92, but until I find a comfortable way to carry it I carry my Bersa 380. Not crazy about off body carry and being a BBW can make it hard to carry a full size gun. I carry the 380 at 5:00.

Quote Originally Posted by kenster View Post
    My girlfriend can shoot my Casull almost as well as I do. At 5'4" 125# the 300gr. rock her world some but she puts all five on paper at 35 feet. She carries a Bersa .380 in summer and a XD-9 the rest of the time.
    She will shoot it when the guys are around just to show she can, but if shes not careful the scope pops her in the forehead

Quote Originally Posted by kenster View Post
    What is a Casull? I have to ask, there are so many guns out there. It is a hand gun? what Caliber? I have never heard of it. I thought I knew guns pretty well, but not this gun.

Someone reported USA carry to FireFox as a bad site and I had to disable my site warnings to even use the site. I assume some anti gun group has thought it would be funny to come and report us as a bad site.
    CrowSnake
    CCW Holder Mo. - NRA - USCCA - HOG
    .45 Taurus Millennium Pro PT 145 - Ruger LCP .380

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    You should be proficient with the gun you're going to carry. Practicing with one caliber and carrying another is asking for trouble.
    Jay, good wisdom it should be in you mussel memory
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

10. The above named article has me giving a full applause. It's far more in depth than what I have given as my "advice" but directly in line with it. I love to hear of stories of folks that have not treated women looking to buy a gun as a small child.
    I tell everyone woman or male the best caliber for you is that which you can fire accurately, repetitively and safely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast