Women and Revolvers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Women and Revolvers

I suggest a revolver as everyone's first handgun. It's much easier to learn on. There's a lot less to worry about, no flying brass, safeties, slide locks, etc. If you start with a revolver you can quickly learn how to shoot properly. It has nothing to do with gender, or strength or anything. If you start out with a .357 revolver you can shoot a variety of rounds. The heavier gun will lesson the recoil with the .38, and once you're comfortable with that you can move up to +p rounds, light .357 and finally full power 357 rounds. Plus, some models sell 9mm cylinders (don't own any, but I recall seeing a few) so with one revolver you've effectively got three rounds to choose from.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPirate View Post
    I suggest a revolver as everyone's first handgun. It's much easier to learn on. There's a lot less to worry about, no flying brass, safeties, slide locks, etc. If you start with a revolver you can quickly learn how to shoot properly. It has nothing to do with gender, or strength or anything.
    I suggest a Glock as everyone's first handgun. It's much easier to learn on. There's a lot less to worry about, no hammer to snag, no cylinder to bind up on a high seated primer, no messing with moon clips, speedloaders, speed strips or worse yet loose rounds, et cetera. If you start with a Glock you can quickly learn how to shoot properly. It has nothing to do with gender, or strength or anything.

Just my personal opinion but no matter how good they are or how well they shoot Glocks are butt ugly.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Two main reasons. One women generally are not as strong as men and some, not all, have a problem racking the slide on some automatics. Two an auto is more complicated to learn, a revolver much more simple. Anyone, women or men, that is not willing to spend the time to really get good with an automatic would be better served by a revolver as it is much easier to master in a shorter amount of time. Sometimes, again not always, women are not as willing for one reason or the other as men to spend the amount of hours it takes to become proficient with an auto. Whether you are male or female if you are not going to spend the time required to not only shoot well but do it under stressful conditions a revolver would be a better choice.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Just my personal opinion but no matter how good they are or how well they shoot Glocks are butt ugly.
    Again beauty is as beauty does. I have a number of autos and I have never had a hick up out of a Glock. They go bang every time I pull the trigger with all kinds of ammo. Is it the best looking auto I own? Probably not but when the crap hits the fan I do not care it the BG thinks my gun is pretty. I want it to work. That is why I carry a Glock 19 as a back up to my HK.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

7. A revolver for beginners for the simple reason they are less complicated and are easier to remember how to use in a heated moment.

My wife can shoot both revolvers and semi=automatic-pistols, but she has trouble working the slide on the .45acp. A typical woman and many men with smaller hands have trouble working the slide on a larger semi-automatic or even getting rounds into the clip.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
    A revolver for beginners for the simple reason they are less complicated and are easier to remember how to use in a heated moment.

My wife can shoot both revolvers and semi=automatic-pistols, but she has trouble working the slide on the .45acp. A typical woman and many men with smaller hands have trouble working the slide on a larger semi-automatic or even getting rounds into the clip.

ken
    That's the reason I got my wife the Beretta Cheetah 86. It has a tip-up barrel. Here's a link with pic.

Beretta Model 86 Cheetah 380 ACP

She also has a taurus tianium .38+P 5-shot revolver and likes them both.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

A revolver for beginners for the simple reason they are less complicated and are easier to remember how to use in a heated moment.

ken

What's so difficult about loading the clip?

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

A typical woman and many men with smaller hands have trouble working the slide on a larger semi-automatic or even getting rounds into the clip.
    That's why I recomend the Glock line of pistols. The Glock pistol does not use clips to feed its ammunition, it uses a detachable magazine. IIRC the only semi-auto pistol that did use clips to feed ammunition was the Mauser broomhandle. In general I don't see anyone recomending the broomhandle as a defensive sidearm of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    That's why I recomend the Glock line of pistols. The Glock pistol does not use clips to feed its ammunition, it uses a detachable magazine. IIRC the only semi-auto pistol that did use clips to feed ammunition was the Mauser broomhandle. In general I don't see anyone recomending the broomhandle as a defensive sidearm of choice.
    It would seem they were more common than you recall. Here's just 2 examples:

The Grendel may have usually been stuffed one at a time; I've heard of people using stripper clips with them but never seen anyone do so. I haven't even seen one of them in several years.
    And, while there are other examples, none of them was a great success.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast