Women and Revolvers - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Women and Revolvers

1. I started out with revolvers but when I took my CHL class needed an auto. Bought a Bersa Thunder 380 and found out there was an ammo shortage. Boughta Ruger SR9 no shortage of ammo for 9mm. After getting CHL wanted soemthing smaller to carry around on daily basis. First small gun I bought was a Kel-Tec P11. Went to range with it and only shot 20 rounds and the web of my shooting hand and upper knuckle on thumb looked like hamburger. I couldn't hit the broad side of the targer cause the trigger pull felt like 30lbs. Asked store owner where I bought it, can I trade this? Got the Glock 26 a bit bigger but a heck of a lot easier to shoot and it didn't eat my hand. Then I got a Kel-Tec P32 no recoil on it and trigger pull was not bad either. Glock I had to use fanny pack to carry it and it is kinda heavy. Got a Ruger LCP very nice little gun. So that is my mostly main carry now. But I do love my Glock. I also have a Beretta Bobcat 21A I use that as back up and for shooting varmints around my house. Got to try to find that skunk that keeps stinking up the place. Seems like it only comes out at night. If I spot it during daylite it is a goner. Don't want to try hunting it down after dark. I could pay the price if I found it.
    Member: NRA - TSRA
    CHL 2010
    Have a Happy Day!

I’ve been fooling around with guns all my life and worked extensively in the defense industry and in the military. In fact, after Vietnam I became a LEO but didn’t much care for it. In my 30+ years, I carried revolvers and semi-autos. Today I’m a bit slower and I no longer have that razor sharp wit and reflexes to match. Last year I sold off my last auto-loader and reverted back to wheel guns. Now, somewhere in this tangled web of history is a message. I don’t advocate any particular platform over another like I use to, but I personally like revolvers more these days for a number of reasons. Instead of pushing an unwelcome agenda, I’ll just include this link for those interested.

The Revolver: Unappreciated Advantages

Regards,
    Dan Ortego

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Iíve been fooling around with guns all my life and worked extensively in the defense industry and in the military. In fact, after Vietnam I became a LEO but didnít much care for it. In my 30+ years, I carried revolvers and semi-autos. Today Iím a bit slower and I no longer have that razor sharp wit and reflexes to match. Last year I sold off my last auto-loader and reverted back to wheel guns. Now, somewhere in this tangled web of history is a message. I donít advocate any particular platform over another like I use to, but I personally like revolvers more these days for a number of reasons. Instead of pushing an unwelcome agenda, Iíll just include this link for those interested.

The Revolver: Unappreciated Advantages

Regards,
    Dan Ortego
    Great article!!

There is a prevailing, unmentioned, "attitude/assumption" within the CWP people that those that carry the semi-autos are the more "elite" among us. The accomplished gunners, if you will. A class that you seek to join upon your own mastery of all that is known in Gundom. It's like the golfers of years back that carried 1 irons in their bags. Oh, you could tell THEY were players! It was your badge of honor and a sign of accomplishment, acknowledging that you have reached an often sought level of proficiency that eluded the mere mortals of the game.

Well 1 irons are too hard to use, and very few ever got proficient with them, and that included touring pros too. They are only in trash cans and dust covered sections of garages now. And that is where they should stay! Better technology has finally come along....for golf, AND guns!

With the advent of scandium, Titanium, polymer, etc., a revolver doesn't have to be wielded like a boat anchor anymore. It can be a small, lightweight, fire-breathing monster that can put down any bad guy out there. Generally speaking, we aren't going to a fight at the OK Corral. If you find yourself in that situation, you probably aren't going to have anything on you that will help. Your best bet would have been to remove yourself from the premises a LOT earlier.

Let's face it, a revolver is stupidly easy to use! And it goes "BANG" every time! What's not to like? I know a lot of REAL gun people..you know, the ones that have worked covert operations abroad in several countries that aren't quite as friendly to strangers as we are here on the Carolina Coast. And their MAIN carry weapon is the old, out-of-vogue, ugly, little REVOLVER! They all give me the same reason for carrying it...it works every time! They also say about semi-autos..."when you need it most, it malfunctions."

Hey, I have nothing against Semi-autos, and I have no agenda against them. If folks want to carry them, fine. They do have more rounds than a revolver, if you need more than five at a time. If they have to shoot 8 or 10 rounds to finally hit something, then that's the gun for them. The "accomplished" can continue with the REVOLVER. But don't worry, if they keep practicing with that auto, and they'll soon catch up to us.<G>

Hey, here's a thought. Get a REVOLVER for your back up gun. I think I'll look at a Kel-Tec PF 11 for my backup.

How is a 1 iron hard to use? You can use it off the tee, on the fairway, or in the rough. You can even putt with it if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    How is a 1 iron hard to use? You can use it off the tee, on the fairway, or in the rough. You can even putt with it if you want to.

Hope you know more about guns than you do golf. Nobody would even consider hitting a 1 iron out of rough. Do you post this stuff to just get arguments started, or are you just that uninformed about everything?

7. This is kind of funny to me, to read. I was recently asked by another woman what she should purchase for her own personal use?

I said... Go to the store where you plan to purchase your firearm and try them out. Even if it takes you all day and you have to "try" each one (dry firing does not hurt pistols, I told her) - just do it. Then buy the one you feel most comfortable carrying, holding... it should be an extension of YOU, and it should feel that way when you're holding it... not a piece of heavy metal in your hand.

I plan to purchase another one for myself this year, and very soon. I carry - on a daily basis - a revolver but I also would like a semi-auto to carry with me daily. So I already know that my next purchase will be a smaller semi than the one I already have --- for "comfort purposes".
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. - Author Unknown ----------- Nos laetus epulor qui would domito nos. - Morticia Addams

As a woman I have three guns that I can CC. A Mauser (my favorite shooting semi-auto), a Colt Detective (wheel gun) and a S&W 38 Special also a wheel gun.
    My Mauser is sweet to handle.

I was raised with revolvers as "old faithful"....I carry a S&W UL 38, NAA .22LR 5 shot mini wheel around the house and if I'm out and about I drag along that 3rd wheel, a H&K P7 9mm...
    My revolver is my first self defense choice, 6 years with the current one and only 1 misfire....that's pretty good. The H&K has never jammed and it's my favorite to shoot of all I've ever shot. Even being made in the 80's, it's still one of the best semis I've ever shot, not a small gun but still concealable....most times I just wear it open, doesn't bother me....
    When training, I recommend folks utilize the "try before you buy" method and ask their friends to shoot theirs, test feel at retail stores and ask around. For Newbies I do recommend beginning with a revolver, then move onto semis when they're ready, if they'd like.
    I also recommend laser grips if $$ possible, I think it's a great training aid to help illustrate and minimize arc of movement while dry firing & practicing. I'm also blind as a bat and "see" the laser being a useful aid in a low visibility setting. My S&W has factory Crimsons and I demonstrate it during training but am quick to reinforce the point the laser never replaces practice and continued skill development.
    Crystal D Mann CAGA http://www.ccwofnc.com
    NC CCW, NRA Basic Pistol & Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
    Certified Arsenal Appraisals & $20 NC FFL Transfer Services too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123