Conceal carry in my purse? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal carry in my purse?

My wife and I aren't really proponents of carrying any types of bags; purses or fanny packs. Although we've seen that most women like carrying a purse, we encourage them to carry on their person because it is the "safest" place one can carry.

Purses and other bags are magnets for thieves; and if your purse gets stolen so does your gun. (NOT a good thing) After learning more advanced safety and security techniques my wife does NOT carry a purse ever!

I don't know how large you are; but it really doesn't matter. (My wife is not a small woman either.)

There are a vast array of "body" carry products and techniques out there. I feel sure a little more research will help you find something better than "purse" carry. However IF you are "dead" set on purse carry, buy a good purse that is specifically designed to carry a firearm.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Concealing a Glock 17 would be challenging considering that it's a full sized pistol. It is commonly carried by LE as a duty gun. For CC, a Glock 19 might be a better option.

Be careful that you don't forget your purse anywhere or place it on the chair across from you while eating at the local fast food joint. I've seen both scenarios with a purse carried firearm. Don't want you to be one of them.

gf
    Thanks Glock Fan - I do have a smaller 9mm (Ruger SR-9C) but have the same trouble concealing it in a holster, especially now that the weather is getting warmer. I keep the purse in my lap with the strap around my wrist while eating out, but you are so right; this can be a drawback of a CC purse. I have looked at the CrossBreed Super Tuck deluxe holster on their website, but not sure if it would work for a woman. Any insight into this for me?

Quote Originally Posted by kwnzqs View Post
    Thanks Glock Fan - I do have a smaller 9mm (Ruger SR-9C) but have the same trouble concealing it in a holster, especially now that the weather is getting warmer. I keep the purse in my lap with the strap around my wrist while eating out, but you are so right; this can be a drawback of a CC purse. I have looked at the CrossBreed Super Tuck deluxe holster on their website, but not sure if it would work for a woman. Any insight into this for me?
    My recommendation would be to experiment with various carry methods. If you check out holsters in a gun store, use a "blue gun" whenever possible to minimize the risk of a ND. If you do need to handle your CC gun to see if it fits properly in a holster, be sure to maintain a safe direction while properly clearing your firearm. Be sure that the magazine and ammunition do not go back into the gun until you're don checking out holsters. If possible, you should leave the ammo and magazine at home when holster shopping for your primary CC gun.

I know of a couple of women who use Crossbreed holsters. There are a few of them that I know of that use off the shelf Galco holsters. If you know of any female police officers, you could check with them to see if they're willing to share their preferred carry methods.

Kathy Jackson's "Cornered Cat" website has a lot of useful information. Good luck!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by kwnzqs View Post
    This is off topic, and I'm sorry, but I was looking at an SR9 as a carry weapon. What are your thoughts on yours? Do you like it as a carry? I have not been able to handle one yet but I do like what I see on visual inspection and in the specs.

Also, some of the trigger actions on certain SR9s were recalled. I'd make sure yours isn't one of them.

I'm not dead set on carrying in my purse. Just exploring my options. I have a Taurus 24/7 9mm so it's just bulky with the side holster I've tried. I'll defintely check into other methods. Especially since I'd never thought about having my purse stolen. I'm also thinking somethings smaller like a Ruger LCP. Anyone have any suggestions on something smaller that can be concealed better?

Quote Originally Posted by missXmay View Post
    I'm not dead set on carrying in my purse. Just exploring my options. I have a Taurus 24/7 9mm so it's just bulky with the side holster I've tried. I'll defintely check into other methods. Especially since I'd never thought about having my purse stolen. I'm also thinking somethings smaller like a Ruger LCP. Anyone have any suggestions on something smaller that can be concealed better?
    Semi-auto or revolver? What caliber? Any particular price range?

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

OK, well that being said, Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment does make some fine products. However Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters is a well established maker of more traditional carry holsters. Both leather makers are of fine quality, and no I do not work for either of them.

Purse is OK. On person is better. A purse snatcher if successful, will have a new toy...

Make sure if you do purse carry, use a holster that can be secured in the bag or a dedicated bag for handgun carry that will cover the "bang button".

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

10. I don't purse carry. I will use a fanny pack but that is as close to "purse" as I will get. Like my gun on my body cause if your purse gets snatched, there goes your protection. There are a lot of small guns out there that can be carried on your person and I like the IWB style of carry. There is also the belly band and the smart carry. I had to kinda change my style of dress when I got my CHL but not drastically. I have on order a IWB tuckable cause summer is coming up and is harder to conceal in summer clothing. Have a feeling my belly band and smart carry will be getting a lot more use soon.
    Member: NRA - TSRA
    CHL 2010
    Have a Happy Day!

MissXMay

If you happened to live anywhere near Tacoma. Mary's Pistols should have some concealed carry purses. Last time my wife and I were in there, they had 4 different styles. They run a bit more than a typical purse, though you have easy side access.

Mary and her staff are very kind and knowledgable. They have descent prices on their weapons too. If you haven't decided what type of gun you want, I would recommend renting and shooting some first.Marys Pistols is Tacoma Washington's Premiere Source for Handguns Rifles and Accessories

My moms friend has carried in a CC Purse for over thirty years. With some dry practice using it, you will be fine.Good Luck and Stay Safe.
    Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast